Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gumball 3000

Options
  • 09-07-2008 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

I just came across this Rally/get-together called Gumball 3000 and it looks like such a blast, you just have to have a good car.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=0UNExJi5xIs

Was wondering if anyone here ever participated seeing as some of you guys drive amazing machines.

If I had a good car, I'd definitely go, looks like fun!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Think it's about £40,000 to enter. Defo on the list of things to do. There are a few rallies like this organised in Europe, the Gumball seems to be full of media whores and so called 'celebrities' - only in it for the TV exposure and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

theres an irish one as well,im sure you wouldnt have to have a ferrari or a lambo www.funballrally.com
    you maybe a bit late for this year as i think it starts tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah funball...... organsational skills not so great.....

myself and mate all geared up for it. nothing done about it.

we gave the money to cancer research anyway but shame we never got to go to germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

You can have any car, I remember seeing a few years back some lads entered it with a Ford Transit ice cream van! :D

The year the boys from Jackass done it in an old Jaguar XJ6 was hilarious (I think it was 2001)!

funball is totally irish. the think jackass did was the european version afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lol cool. How tf do you raise the 5k though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

Martron wrote: »
    yeah funball...... organsational skills not so great.....

myself and mate all geared up for it. nothing done about it.

we gave the money to cancer research anyway but shame we never got to go to germany
    was it cancelled so? maybe they didnt get the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeah it was the Gumball one...you know,what this thread is about!:rolleyes:

lol cool. How tf do you raise the 5k though?

well 5k is not that much for the trip yoou are getting!!!! so if you and a mate have 1 car and split the driving

so you put 1 k each you are already up to 2 k.

then you start sponsorship , table quizzes etc etc raffles .

10cents a mile etc etc.

thats what i did until they told me that my application was lost when their computer crashed. money went to cancer reserch anyway but maybe next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

40 grand for Gumball!!!? They can fock right off, not worth it IMHO, unless you are really really rich.

• Advertisement

thats why you should do the funball!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well seeing as I'm only 17 and waiting on my learners permit to come in the post... I'll give it a miss until I'm a bit older, and..eh.. not driving a punto :D:pac:

should be fun when i get around to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

If you want a REAL challenge, there is only one, the Mongol Rally:

http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/

Nothing more adventurous than driving half way around the planet, across deserts and rivers, in a Nissan Micra or Ford Fiesta! :D

I'd love to do it myself if I had the time and money!

you are right not only a challenge but an experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you just came across it? it's been going for years and was cancelled last year after an english guy in a porsche killed someone!

it was all over the news.....

funball is different to gumball.

funball is irish trip to nurburg ring and back

furball rally is like a mini gumball

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

My friend is doing one but its for bangers, the maximum you can spend on the car is £100.00 sterling and it runs from France to Romania or somewhere like.

He has bought a batter golf - sounds good fun

I know someone doing that... he got a micra

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I looked into Gumball a few years ago when in the UK, I think it was about £3-4k to get into it. I had an old 3.2V6 Honda Legend and was going to take it along with a mate. Bottled it in the end for £££ reasons.
    I watched some of the shows on it a few times. There were 2 young lads from Wales (I think) that entered an old Nissan Pulsar (so I doubt they could afford a 40k entry fee).
    I believe they got into France and it died on them, so they found (or maybe hired) a Peugeot 106 and made it the rest of the way. I believe they tried it the following year with the Nissan again.......

Just make sure you bring the fathers credit card!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement