Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Beers Ballina

• 10-07-2008 1:10am

Considering that the festival is on in Ballina next week and a number of boardsies are heading to it I thought that maybe we could organise a small boards beers in the town.

Anyone interested in one?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Could be done. I'll be in town for heritage day (but not in the evening), and for mardi gras on the saturday.

Mardi Gras night would be doable, though we'd proborably spend more time in the streets drinking than a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Post a starting point and time and I'll try to make it.

Lets say we meet at 10pm in Hogan's or if anyone else can recommend a quiet enough pub where we can find one another.

The date is Saturday the 19th of July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

if transport prevails, i'll be up with my brother anyway, so you can stick my foot in the door...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I can't make it on the 19th. sorry lads I'd love to go but I have plans that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

I'm going to the Mardi Gras! Looking for blue bodypaint! Anyone know where I could get some??[Maybe dressing up!]

No idea, but good luck with the dressing up - Her Indoors and I dressed up for heritage day.

Is it just me, or is heritage day a bit pants compared to what it used to be?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No idea, but good luck with the dressing up - Her Indoors and I dressed up for heritage day.

Is it just me, or is heritage day a bit pants compared to what it used to be?

I think all the scum may have ruined the day. Had a shower of little ****s spitting at me and telling me to get a haircut all day long. At around 9:30 we were going into Xtravision and there was a group of travellers sitting on fold out chairs drinking and causing trouble. They were running into the shop grabbing stuff off the shelves and throwing it at us, they ended up locking the doors and then the Gardai had to come. The same group had over the course of the day moved up and down the street causing trouble every where they went.

Wow. I didn't see any of that sort of thing, I just thought the standard of the stalls was way down on previous years. Many of them had no bearing on the heritage theme, and many of the people manning them hadn't made an effort to dress up. By contrast, we're going to a mediaeval festival in Denmark next month, and authenticity is key, right down to turning off the street lights and using burning torches instead.

Pity about the scum. It's one thing I don't miss about Ballina since I moved to Westport.

• Advertisement

Hell as we were walking home two scumbags in a car slowed down and began shouting "Get a haircut" as they passed. Their level of wit was quite impressive.

How long is your hair? :P I'm just coming for the w/end. From Galway. Woop woop. Turns out nobodys game for my Smurfs idea though :( So no need for the blue paint anymore. Boo.

How long is your hair? :P I'm just coming for the w/end. From Galway. Woop woop. Turns out nobodys game for my Smurfs idea though :( So no need for the blue paint anymore. Boo.

I don't even have long hair, just have the top and back dyed bright red. You coming alond to our beers?

Ooooh that sounds good! Pic?! :D Well I don't know where that place is that you mentioned! I shall be more than likely going to Quattro and the likes! :D

PS My birthday is the day before yours, we're the same age! :P

Ooooh that sounds good! Pic?! :D Well I don't know where that place is that you mentioned! I shall be more than likely going to Quattro and the likes! :D

Have to get a pic of it up. Hogan's is just beside the Junction at the bottom of the one way street down from the post office.

PS My birthday is the day before yours, we're the same age! :P

Coincidence or providence? :D

You realise you're givin directions to a female here right? :P Nah seeing as I'm the visitor I can't dictate where we're going [they won't listen to me anyway], plus I'm stayin in Ballina tomorrow & Saturday night so I'll be well blathered by Sunday, woop woop :D

Well our Beers is Saturday and while I can't promise it will be the greatest thing ever I can promise that given enough alcohol I will drunkenly reciete Bill Pullman's entire speech from Independence Day word for word.

Your hair sounds pretty hot anyway. This one time, in Ballina, I was walking along the street and I saw this dude, with black hair that was red in the middle. He was hot.

• Advertisement

I'll mention it to the girls anyway, Hogans..........hmm...........can't promise I'll remember the name of it Saturday evening, but I'll try :D

Your hair sounds pretty hot anyway. This one time, in Ballina, I was walking along the street and I saw this dude, with black hair that was red in the middle. He was hot.

Lol, that was proberly me.

Oh really? Ha, I even mentioned to my friends when we got back that I saw this hottie in town :P

Oh really? Ha, I even mentioned to my friends when we got back that I saw this hottie in town :P

Well I've been called many things but don't think I've been called a hottie lately. Been called a retarded John Cusack and kinda of odd looking, like Steve Buscemi. :D

Perhaps it wasn't you I saw then :P

Steve Buscemi is kinda funny lookin'. Jeez, dude, get your facts straight.

Steve Buscemi is kinda funny lookin'. Jeez, dude, get your facts straight.

Lol, when I was told it I recieted the speech from Fargo at the end of which she just stared at me with that look rapists get. Some people have no appreciation of great cinema.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

OT:

A redneck in Castlebar one night said to me "How much do you spend on shampoo?" much to the guffaws of his mates (my hair's quite long)

I simply answered "A lot less than you have to spend sending your sister across the water when you get her pregnant" and the stunned looks of absolute horror on their faces was something to be treasured.

Never let a redneck get away with it and if you say something deeply disturbing, they won't get violent cause they will be too shocked and have to devote too much brain processing power to figuring out what you just said.

When a scumbag once told me to "Get a hair cut" I turned around to him and said "Were your parents releated through blood before they got married?" The look of sheer surprise on his face was a joy to behold, he litererally just stood there staring at me as the cogs began to work inside his brain.

Though the best was when a van full of travellers slowed down to walking speed and they bagan shouting "Nice shoes" at me. I turned to them and said "Thanks" to which one of them said "No, nice shoes" to which I saw "Thank you, they're stylish yet affordable". In the end they just gave up and drove away.

This festival has been the worst I've seen for trouble in ages. The amount of violence and abuse that's going around is unreal, some truly horrible people here.

• Advertisement

So we have any definites for tonight?

10pm in Hogans - should be able to make it. A friend of mine is filming Mardi Gras and the fireworks for TG4's Féilte, might see if he wants to tag along.

Right: if I'm there, I'll be wearing black denims, a pale blue t-shirt and a navy Portwest zipped fleece, & my gf is blonde.

I should recognise you, Darko!

I should be there a little after 10, I'll definetly be in before 20 past so I shall see whomever is there then.

sorry that i wasn't able to go lads, I had no lift. hope the night went well for ye, and there's a street festival in westport anyway soon, so might squeeze out a few people there if we can get a few participants...

Well look on the brightside, I'll have an 'infraction free' night on Boards... :p

Got there just after a quater past ten and waited till about ten to eleven. Did'nt meet any boardsies but I did bump into the one person in Ballina I was trying to avoid.

• Advertisement

I went to the toilet in Hogans! Was well late though! I was drinking in the Jug! If only I'd known Hogans was just down a bit I would have popped down! :)

When I was in there waiting I noticed three people keep looking at me so I assumed that they were boardsies and went over. Turns out they just wanted to know if I "was a fucking faggot with red hair?" Had to disappoint them and inform them that I was unfortunalty hetro and that "if I was in fact gay could more than likely do better than three inverted red necks." Don;t think I made friends with them. :D

LoL jaysus that hair is causin ya enough bother anyway :P I had a quick peek around for ya while I was legging it to the toilet! :)

If it was after 11 then I was up the town with some friends watching the festivites before venturing down to Longnecks which was quite horrible.

Ah we went to some Sweeneys place and Brennans. I've been in LongNecks a good few times. Wouldn't really be my sorta scene but we'd never get a taxi to Crockets. Yeah it was after 11. We were in the Jug since about half 9, left there at 11 or so and went to watch the parade. Thought I was gonna wee myself though so popped into the loo in Hogans. :)

• Advertisement

It's not my type of place either but I got dragged along. The one good point was afterward when I danced across the bridge singing the song "Laundry Day" from Dr Horrible the musical much to my friend's girlfriend and her friends embarrasment. :D I myself though I was bloody brilliant.

Back on topic.

Did anyone else venture in to Hogan's for awhile? Kept an eye out for oscarBravo but did'nt see him.

I finally got to Hogans around 2250 - must have just missed you. I was looking out for the red hair but didn't see it. :) My friend the cameraman was on the street filming at that point so I went to talk to him.

Another time, perhaps. nevf, when's the Westport festival? Nobody tells me anything way out here in Knockranny.

I finally got to Hogans around 2250 - must have just missed you. I was looking out for the red hair but didn't see it. :) My friend the cameraman was on the street filming at that point so I went to talk to him.

Another time, perhaps. nevf, when's the Westport festival? Nobody tells me anything way out here in Knockranny.
    wtf? Knockranny? Your my nearly my neighbour!

It's on from the 6th to the 10th of August. On the mall as usual.
    ‘Rock’ and ‘Reels’ at Westport Music Festival
    Up to 100,000 visitors are expected to attend the 2008 Westport Music Festival from August 6th-10th. This year household names like Sharon Shannon, Mundy, Ragús, The Walls, Whitewater, Robert Mizzell and Dessie O'Halloran will be entertaining the crowds in free open air concerts at the Fairgreen arena. The massive state-of-the-art stage, which hosts the bands will be located in the Carrowbeg River, a unique feature for the bands and the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

nevf wrote: »
    wtf? Knockranny? Your my nearly my neighbour!

It's on from the 6th to the 10th of August. On the mall as usual.

i love the westport festival,il be defo over there for two days at least!
    (partially because all my friends will be in bulgaria at this time):(

Advertisement