Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The trials of riding a scooter

• 10-07-2008 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Having ridden motorcycles before, I currently ride a scooter.
    As I live in the inner city, this is perfect for five minute rides in my immediate area but unless you have something over a 125, not something I would recommend for a big city.

Having said that, there are certain traits I notice as a scooter rider that weren't so noticeable as a motorcyclist. Feel free to add your own. I'd be interested to see what sort of bother scooter riders have to put up with.

1. Drivers feel free to overtake you...in the same lane.
    2. Acceleration suddenly means you want to drag race.
    3. 60km/h lane means 60kph for two wheels and 100kph for four.
    4. Women in four wheel drives (I am a woman, btw, and do not make such a statement lightly - at every case it's been an issue with not being aware of their boundaries in a large vehicle = havoc for someone like me behind them). Especially in school zones.
    5. Road cyclists. The ones with tight pants and pointy helmets who view their ride as their private Tour de France who throw water at you for daring to overtake them. Sacre bleu...
    6. People stepping out onto the street just as you're coming up to them. (Do they think I'm travelling at 10kph?)
    7. Motorcyclists who feel it's okay to ride alongside you in the same lane.
    8. Two wheel riders (bike or scooter) who wear thongs, high heels, shorts and other spare attire while riding.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Wind turbulance from fast moving and overtaking articulated lorries.
    I haven't noticed anyone regarding your point eight but I look forward to seeing them. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Me too, full motorcycle license but sticking to the scooter at the moment as it’s perfect for my city centre commute.
    When I started I was very unconfident and used to drive on the extreme left and as a result was pushed into the gutter constantly and cars almost brushed my shoulders as they went past me. Defensive driving ftw!

But for sure when I drive a motorbike I get more respect then riding the scooter

Never had a cyclist throw water at me though or have any altercations with cyclists ever. I view cyclists as our friends and allies against our four wheeled foes :)

vektarman wrote: »
    I haven't noticed anyone regarding your point eight but I look forward to seeing them. :pac:

The OP speaks the truth, I see this on a regular basis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive had cars overtake me in the same lane on a windy day while on a 650cc motorbike, never mind a scooter!!

Dont forget to add impatient motorcyclist couriers who think that just because they could squeeze through the gap in the traffic, means you should be able to aswell and use their horn to let you know. :rolleyes:

Motorists who park illegally or pull in suddenly and put on their hazards as if that makes it "ok".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭gipi

And don't forget the other city driving phenomenon.....

Being overtaken by a truck while being undertaken by a bus in the bus lane....I feel like a very frightened sandwich filling (on a 250cc Marauder!). :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

1. Drivers feel free to overtake you...in the same lane.

i'm sure most on here regardless of the size of their machine experience this on a regular basis. it annoys the bejaysus out of me:mad:

just because a bike doesn't take up the full width of the lane is no excuse for not using the usual protocol for overtaking. cagers are sadly ignorant of the effects of wind/sudden gusts on a bike,i've had a number of near misses where i've been caught by a gust and nearly blown into some gob****e using half of my lane to overtake in.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

6. People stepping out onto the street just as you're coming up to them. (Do they think I'm travelling at 10kph?)

not just people,virtually every other road user. maybe it's just me but other road users(not other bikers though!) seem to have issues with judging the speed of bikes and mopeds. i never encounter this with bikes but i'm sick of cars just jumping out in front of me:mad: sure bikes and mopeds have varying speeds but the ignorance or just plain arrogance of some people constantly astounds me. i'm thinking of buying a white helmet,hi-vis jacket and painting my bike white so they think i'm a cop,might slow them down a little.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have to agree on pretty much all points there, especially 1. I tend to become an incredibly wide scooter though once one car has decided to overtake me without any change in lane position and I'll move over to the centre. Not really encountered any problems with any other two wheeled road users though, powered or otherwise.

Will be on the lookout now for anyone matching point 8 though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

vektarman wrote: »
    Wind turbulance from fast moving and overtaking articulated lorries.
    Prepare for disappointment:

in aussie land thongs are flipflops

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tree wrote: »
    Prepare for disappointment:

in aussie land thongs are flipflops

Boo. :(

I think the OP should be done for false advertising or something with all this talk of thongs. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'd like some pictures of these Irish gals with thongs. At least I hope they are girls.

59447.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement