Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

why on earth would anyone buy a new car?!

Options
  • 10-07-2008 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I drive a 10 yer old VW. I have no problems with it, keep it serviced.

If I tip a pole or similar when parking I dont have to check if the paints been scratched!
    I can park it in the dodgiest places and not worry about it being stolen or broken into.
    I bought it 2nd hand and it was paid off years ago, more funds for travelling,house,entertainment, etc..
    It gets me to my destination just as fast as me mates 20K$+ car and keeps me just as dry as him!
    It has all the mod cons and if I hoover it out every now and then it smells just as good.
    Can someone please explain the advantages of having a new car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

IMO depends on the car.

Some of the new yokes around are piles of steaming... :p

Others though..

In the end it all comes down to the person. What they like, what they want.. luxuries like having the latest x or y keep us all content, makes the world go around, etc etc.

Personally - no offence to you or your car - It'd make me feel quite good about myself to have a Nissan GT-R or the likes under me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't know either, the sheer amount they drop off their price the minute they're driven out of the dealership would put me off ever buying one new.

its the factor of saying 'i can afford this' also my mammy says she buys brand new cars because it comes with a warranty (shes afraid something will break and cost her a fortune)

silly billys really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A company dose not its image tarnished by having their sales reps and executives driving around in 10 year old bangers. They need something that is fresh looking, 100% reliable and covered by a main dealer warrenty. New cars can also be a tax write off. Hire companies also buy fresh cars in large quanyities, usually stock from a main dealer that is not shifting due to colour or a model that is going to become opsolete, they get these at a considerable good discount.

Those with new cars do not have too worry about the NCT for 4 years, this would suit old ones with a few bob. Doctors, accountants and solicitors can also write off the cost of a very expensive car on their earnings, they can say they need it for their job. Taxies and hackneys will soon have no choice but to have cars less than 9 years old and can also write off the cost of a fresh car on their earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

stek wrote: »
    II can park it in the dodgiest places and not worry about it being stolen or broken into.

older cars are easier and more likely to be stolen by today's discerning car thief

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If I tip a pole or similar when parking I dont have to check if the paints been scratched!
    I can park it in the dodgiest places and not worry about it being stolen or broken into.
    I bought it 2nd hand and it was paid off years ago, more funds for travelling,house,entertainment, etc..
    It gets me to my destination just as fast as me mates 20K$+ car and keeps me just as dry as him!
    It has all the mod cons and if I hoover it out every now and then it smells just as good.

It wasnt that lowered Jetta with the 4 spoke black alloys I saw in Westport at the weekend is it lad :P

Valid point, some older cars still have great comfort and economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Depends to some extent on the amount of driving, although I know few people change their cars based on this criteria. A person who does 50k kms a year is more than justified to change their car every year or two.

Personally I like the idea of buying at 3-4 years old and selling on when it is 7 or 8 years... You avoid the worst of the depreciation and the car never really reaches "banger" status. I have a buyer for my current car already and wont be shifting it for 18 months or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Safety might be an issue too.....I'd love a Peugeot 106 GTI but am put off by the fact that I am certain to die in a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

People buy new cars because they fear second hand cars have either been crashed and badly repaired, clocked, stolen, abused etc.

By buying new they can have confidence that the car is righ from day one, where as buying second hand can be a risk but rewarding when you get a good one.

I agree with OP. My car is nine year old and going like a trooper. Its in Advanced Pit Stop now getting the brake fluid changed. Fingers Crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

How often do you drive into lamposts - people like you scare me, you obviously don't have much regard for the condition of your car & possibly the kind of person who wouldn't think twice about opening your door on my car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Bluefoam wrote: »
    How often do you drive into lamposts - people like you scare me, you obviously don't have much regard for the condition of your car & possibly the kind of person who wouldn't think twice about opening your door on my car...

Here we go again..................:D

Image has to be one of the major factors, and number plate snobbery. The irish car industry has gained a lot from having the year of registration clearly shown on your number plate.
    If you are clever you can spend a lump sum on a new car and then a couple of grand every couple of years trading up. I spent the same amount trading up 2 years to a '02 as a mate did trading a 2 year old for a new.
    Personally I couldnt justify spending more than 20K on a car when there is so much available for a lot less, and I agree with you about the lamp posts, a ding on the back of a 2 week old car is a lot more devestating than one on a 10 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

A company dose not its image tarnished by having their sales reps and executives driving around in 10 year old bangers. They need something that is fresh looking, 100% reliable and covered by a main dealer warrenty. New cars can also be a tax write off. Hire companies also buy fresh cars in large quanyities, usually stock from a main dealer that is not shifting due to colour or a model that is going to become opsolete, they get these at a considerable good discount.

Those with new cars do not have too worry about the NCT for 4 years, this would suit old ones with a few bob. Doctors, accountants and solicitors can also write off the cost of a very expensive car on their earnings, they can say they need it for their job. Taxies and hackneys will soon have no choice but to have cars less than 9 years old and can also write off the cost of a fresh car on their earnings.

The tax benefit of buying a new car is spread out over an 8 year period, and there's no benefit at all on any spend beyond €24,000. Therefore the maximum tax benefit you'll get is reducing your income by €3,000 a year, i.e. reducing your tax bill by €1,230 if you're paying at the top rate.

That's only for cars of course. Commercial vehicles are a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Because they can afford to. Simple as that.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Because they can afford to. Simple as that.

How many new cars aree bought with cash? and how many are financed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

because they want one - you don't, fine

Although reading your post I think you are trying more to justify why you are keeping you old car than wondering why others buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

It really doesn't matter whether it's a lump sum or not Slig. The point T-Maxx made is, repayments or no repayments, they can afford to.

Now if you want to sit at home with your 10 year old car and say "I'm saving a fortune and I've a load of cash under the bed sitting there" that's cool.. but not everybody wants to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Well I just bought a brand new car last week;). I can see your point to a certain degree however, it's a valid argument.

I love cars however and even though I had a vague notion of changing, I didn't take the plunge until I drove somewthing I really fell for (the new Subaru diesel). Although I am more than aware of the depreciation I will suffer:(, I didn't need to take out a loan so guilt is nullified somewhat. Also the new VRT changes benefited me.

I've encountered your attitude before and I have to say, there is a certain amount of smugness about this 'banger-nomics' approach that is a bit grating. It also ignores one crucial point:
    we are only on this planet for three-score-and-ten (well probably a bit more these days, hopefully!), we only pass through life once. If splurging a bit of money on a new car gives you your kicks then go for it.

That's a bit OTT in fairness. People who obsess about people banging their doors in car-parks scare ME:eek:! Mind you since I got my new car I'm a bit like that but hopefully another week or two it'll wear off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I don't know if you mean brand new, or "new to you" but I am buying a new car in the next few weeks. I have my heart set on a Ford Focus Hatchback, 2004/2003, and am just waiting on the right one to pop up on Carzone. The cars on Carzone have gotten much better in the past few months- I have noticed 2005s now selling for the same price as what you would have paid for a 2003 a few months ago, with similar mileages.

Reason I am buying it is that I currently have a 1997 Punto which I have had since I got my first driving lesson in November. It is a reliable old thing and gets me from A to B but I only really bought it to learn in. Now that I have passed my test and the worst of my driving is over without damaging the Punto I feel I can trust myself to spend a significant amount on something nicer. The Punto has no airbags and is not the most comfortable car in the world so I am upgrading. I am giving the Punto to my little brother, at 17 he will have enough to pay in insurance without having to fork out on a car.

Same reason people build big houses, or SUVs.
    They say its because they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Slig wrote: »
    Same reason people build big houses, or SUVs.
    They say its because they want to.

Some people buy big houses because they have big families. Some people buy SUV's not because they want to but because they need to for their work.

• Advertisement

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Some people buy big houses because they have big families. Some people buy SUV's not because they want to but because they need to for their work.

I drove a freelander during the week & have to say that it was tiny inside (much smaller than a ford focus) it has a horrible cabin & I just couldn't get a comfortable driving position - too cramped. TBH same goes for alot of SUV's, I don't understand them. SUV's don't offer much more internal space than many saloon or estate cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because I'm a wanker who wants a custom reg plate :D

But yes, thats the only reason I'd buy the car I'm looking at new, is to get the plate I want on it (if I get said plate). Otherwise, 1 to 2 year old s/hand will do fine, and still be in warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

I hear its because they hate going to the NCT centres..!

In reality though, how many millionaires (actual ones) would have posted this thread? I'm confident that we all buy the cars that we can best reasonably afford - based on our particular needs - which obviously differ from person to person.

Personally, with all these LHD cars on the road, safety is now a much bigger factor than it was - but maybe I've been unlucky to come across people driving straight for me three times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

pburns wrote: »
    That's a bit OTT in fairness. People who obsess about people banging their doors in car-parks scare ME:eek:! Mind you since I got my new car I'm a bit like that but hopefully another week or two it'll wear off.

It's not OTT. Why should I have to put up with some neanderthol swinging his door out only to damage my car? It's still damage to property whatever way you look at it.

How would you like it if I came round to your house and started knocking lumps of plaster off; "as shure it's only a house". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

pburns wrote: »
    I've encountered your attitude before and I have to say, there is a certain amount of smugness about this 'banger-nomics' approach that is a bit grating. It also ignores one crucial point:
    we are only on this planet for three-score-and-ten (well probably a bit more these days, hopefully!), we only pass through life once. If splurging a bit of money on a new car gives you your kicks then go for it.

Well said - smugness really sums it up.

You also find people who congratulate themselves on saving €€€'s by buying a 2nd hand car going out and spending a few K on new alloys, which other people would see as much of a waste as buying a brand new car.

I wonder do the same people also buy second hand clothes as well. After all, depreciation on clothes is pretty much 100% as soon as you buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Read the post ! What is his first word ????

CPG wrote: »
    Read the post ! What is his first word ????

"I"

BTW, why am I being attacked for being concerned about my car? I have only ever bought second hand, but am very particular about the condition of my car...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

why am I being attacked for being concerned about my car? I have only ever bought second hand, but am very particular about the condition of my car...

I don't think anyone is attacking you, but from the tone of your post its sounds as if you have just come back from a car-park after discovering your car dented!

If you haven't, then you seem unnaturally concerned about it happening.

Cars get dented and swap paint in car-parks. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

thread_direction.gif

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »
    Cars get dented and swap paint in car-parks. It happens.

Am I the only one who sees this as a problem?

Advertisement