Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

why on earth would anyone buy a new car?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

5 star NCAP has something to do with my changing. Gained two stars over my last car. Maybe thats marketing for you. But im never going to need another car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I drove a freelander during the week & have to say that it was tiny inside (much smaller than a ford focus) it has a horrible cabin & I just couldn't get a comfortable driving position - too cramped. TBH same goes for alot of SUV's, I don't understand them. SUV's don't offer much more internal space than many saloon or estate cars.
    yep, landrovers are a load of rubbish. They're for people who really want a range rover but are too afraid to buy one second hand.

My perspective on buying new is fairly simple. Lets say I have €29,000 to spend

I could buy a new toyota avensis with a few optional extras, or I could buy a 4 year old bmw 5 series, or a 5 year old merc S 500 with all the bells and whistles.

It's not a hard decision when you look at it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

A 4 or 5 year old luxury car will be far from cheap motoring. Its at this age that need serious money ploughed into them for repairs and servicing. There is a lot said for buying a new car with a 2 or 3 year old warranty with peace of mind motoring, especially when spending 30K. Its the total cost of ownership thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Slig wrote: »
    I agree with you about the lamp posts, a ding on the back of a 2 week old car is a lot more devestating than one on a 10 year old.

Depends on how much pride you put in your car. It wouldn't matter to me if I could only afford a 10 year old car, but I would get something interesting that was looked after and I would look after it aswell.

I do agree with you about getting huge loans/leases for cars, it's just not necessary and a bit foolish and I believe it is the number plate to be somewhat responsible.

I know a two people for example who last year changed their two year old Golf/Astra for the exact same just new and a different colour :confused:. The only logical reason for me to change a car is to upgrade to something better or if more accomodation is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why buy anything new for that matter? Root throught the buy and sell & similar and get all your goods 2nd hand.

I drive an 8 year old car and look after it as if it were new. I'd still buy a brand new car in a heartbeat if funds allow. I like being the only person to have ever owned and driven my car, choosing it to be the way I want etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

just got back from tipping a few lamposts. ;) Obviously I would have the greatest respect for other peoples property, what Im trying to say is i tipped a lampost last month, and it did not ruin my day(thats a good thing, no?).
    so the advantages are-
    Because they want to- thats grand if you can afford it obviously, but if they cant, its pretty self indulgent and not nassesary, unless they have no other interests other than cars.

For the 08 reg- sad!

For the warranty- do the maths, 20k on new car= no maintenance bills over 2 years, 5k on 2nd hand car + mantenance bill of max 2k over 2 years= 7k

NCT centres are a nightmare but again still saving 13k, imagine the holidays you could go on!worth a few hours once every 2 years,no?

Safety- I have driver/passenger airbags, no SIPs, but not many new cars have either(i could be wrong there). If its kept WELL serviced(wheels,tyres,engine,lights) wheres the advantage?

I think the biggest advantage is being the only person to have driven the car, at least then you will know it inside out and know when something is wrong, service is due,tyres..etc..and youll looks after it alot more. But on the same note, wouldnt the person buying the car off you take all that goodwill with them? Know what i mean..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

stek wrote: »
    I drive a 10 yer old VW. I have no problems with it, keep it serviced.

If I tip a pole or similar when parking I dont have to check if the paints been scratched!
    I can park it in the dodgiest places and not worry about it being stolen or broken into.
    I bought it 2nd hand and it was paid off years ago, more funds for travelling,house,entertainment, etc..
    It gets me to my destination just as fast as me mates 20K$+ car and keeps me just as dry as him!
    It has all the mod cons and if I hoover it out every now and then it smells just as good.
    Can someone please explain the advantages of having a new car?

Drive a Brand New car, Any make/model and you'll understand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

stek wrote: »

imagine the holidays you could go on!

Now there is the biggest waste of money I can imagine
    Throwing money down the loo
    What you spend on 2 weeks hols every year would cover a few repayments on a new car

Reason some of us buy new cars is to make sure there are enough old worn out ones available for the skinflints that wont buy new..

I boght my first new car this year and will never ain buy an old one
    No comparison ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Could never see the logic in it personally. I would prefer to buy something more prestigious than to get a lower spec new car.
    Some people mentioned maintenance and servicing, but if like me, you enjoy diy maintenance of you car, this isn't an issue.

Maybe if I won the lotto I'd splash out on a new one, but otherwise I'll stick with my 2nd handers.

Well wear to anyone that buys new though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Some people mentioned maintenance and servicing, but if like me, you enjoy diy maintenance of you car, this isn't an issue.

Some people just aren't that way inclined & the car industry hasn't exactly done itself any favours over the years - we are all aware of dodgy dealers. So in order to protect themselves and to sleep better at night, some people buy new, it takes the risk out of the purchase for them.

Another matter altogether are people who buy new for the prestige of a new plate & others who buy Volkswagens in order to own an over priced under specked car... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

peasant wrote: »
    thread_direction.gif

and if i'm not mistaken there is a tight right hander on the way aswell:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

I needed to change my car this year as we had a new addition to the family, and while it was possible to fit three child seats across the back of my previous car, it was a real pain in the arse to do so. I would have bought a second hand 07 car from northern Ireland if I could have sold my own car privately, but there was no takers on my car, so I traded it in off a new car. The dealer then sold my old car for about two grand more than I had it advertised for, and it sold within two weeks of me trading it in.

Fair play to the OP and many others here who run older cars and maintain them, themselves, I would love to buy an older GTI or the like, but with time constraints of raring three kids, it's hard enough finding the time to look after the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

is this thread still going?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

vectra wrote: »
    Now there is the biggest waste of money I can imagine
    Throwing money down the loo
    What you spend on 2 weeks hols every year would cover a few repayments on a new car

That's a pretty sad attitude TBH:rolleyes:...

pburns wrote: »
    That's a pretty sad attitude TBH:rolleyes:...

Your reason being ?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Another topic of " Something is outside my realm of understanding because i'm so wrapped up in my own beliefs and I can't understand how anyone would do something different to me "

Along the lines of the classics :

Why would you have a petrol instead of a diesel when it (once) was cheaper

or

Why buy a big 100k car? Sure a 10k car will get you to A to B just the same aswell won't it.

And you're asking this question on a forum where people are supposedly into Cars? Worst thread ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

daRobot wrote: »
    Another topic of " Something is outside my realm of understanding because i'm so wrapped up in my own beliefs and I can't understand how anyone would do something different to me "

Along the lines of the classics :

Why would you have a petrol instead of a diesel when it (once) was cheaper

or

Why buy a big 100k car? Sure a 10k car will get you to A to B just the same aswell won't it.

And you're asking this question on a forum where people are supposedly into Cars? Worst thread ever.

finally a voice of reason

different strokes for different folks and all that

my own personal opinion?
    I would find it very hard to spend say €40k on a new car just because its a new car, I'd look at the like of a Golf GTI, etc and then realise that I can get a second hand Maserati 3200GT, Lotus Exige, TVR Tuscan or Porsche 911 from the UK for the same price. the fact that its second hand wouldn't worry me, but those are my own personal views and I don't force them on anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Some of us have had so much hassle dealing with repairs and the costs of maintenance of an older car that it's worth the benefit and peace of mind in having a new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ToolFool

People buy new cars thinking that they'll save money in the long run because they "won't have to spend money on repairs". Most modern cars suck.
    The wiring, and electrics are all fundamentally flawed.
    Try waiting at the side of a road for roadside assistance a few times with your new car, and you'll know what i'm talking about.
    I'd rather spend my money on a second hand, quality, proven car, than a new car.
    But that's just me.

ToolFool wrote: »
    People buy new cars thinking that they'll save money in the long run because they "won't have to spend money on repairs". Most modern cars suck.
    The wiring, and electrics are all fundamentally flawed.
    Try waiting at the side of a road for roadside assistance a few times with your new car, and you'll know what i'm talking about.
    I'd rather spend my money on a second hand, quality, proven car, than a new car.
    But that's just me.

And you obviously know this from owning a new car at one point I assume ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Out of the 6 cars I've owned, I bought one from new - a Peugeot 206. I had two really minor problems with it in 2 years; both fixed under warranty. I can't remember the exact figures, but I think this car also had the lowest depreciation of any of my cars and also the lowest maintenance costs.

And you obviously know this from owning a new car at one point I assume ?

I know this from working in a vehicle recovery company the last 3 years.
    Old proven car over a new car, ANY day.
    Again, that's just me.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Out of the 6 cars I've owned, I bought one from new - a Peugeot 206. I had two really minor problems with it in 2 years; both fixed under warranty. I can't remember the exact figures, but I think this car also had the lowest depreciation of any of my cars and also the lowest maintenance costs.

You MUST have gotten REAL lucky with that Peugeot!!
    The french really know how to design a car, but they really should leave the engine to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You MUST have gotten REAL lucky with that Peugeot!!
    The french really know how to design a car, but they really should leave the engine to someone else.

Well, you'll love this because I had an Alfa 156 a few years after it and it had absolutely no problems in 2 years of motoring. The only reason I didn't mention it as being the cheapest was because of the depreciation, and because I had to replace all the brake discs and pads all around which was an expensive service.

Anyway, that's quite off topic. The point is that different people get different things from a car, and their priorities are different. What business of ours is it if people do want an '08 reg? It's no more incomprehensible than spending thousands on a new set of rims and modifications, or driving a car that gets crap mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭omega man

While youre at it, why buy new clothes? Come on OP what a pointless thread.

:eek:
    eoin_s wrote: »
    Well, you'll love this because I had an Alfa 156 a few years after it and it had absolutely no problems in 2 years of motoring. The only reason I didn't mention it as being the cheapest was because of the depreciation, and because I had to replace all the brake discs and pads all around which was an expensive service.

Anyway, that's quite off topic. The point is that different people get different things from a car, and their priorities are different. What business of ours is it if people do want an '08 reg? It's no more incomprehensible than spending thousands on a new set of rims and modifications, or driving a car that gets crap mileage.

Couldn't agree with you more.
    Like i said, that's just me.
    P.S. An Alfa? Really? Beautiful cars, stunning actually, but notorious for being flaky.

Again, that's just me.

So,
    What you are saying is that the only cars to breakdown are new ones and that old "Proven" cars never stop :rolleyes:

Oh,
    While you are at it.
    I am just wondering if you used an OLD PROVEN breakdown truck for recovery or a MODERN "New one ?

So,
    What you are saying is that the only cars to breakdown are new ones and that old "Proven" cars never stop :rolleyes:

Oh,
    While you are at it.
    I am just wondering if you used an OLD PROVEN breakdown truck for recovery or a MODERN "New one ?

Oh! Someone LOVES his Vectra!!
    Trucks were a mixture of both new and old. Interesting how every one of the drivers preferred the old ones! But i didn't BUY the trucks. I did buy my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

omega man wrote: »
    While youre at it, why buy new clothes? Come on OP what a pointless thread.

Pointless maybe, but theres 4 pages of it:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Again, that's just me.

That's a very sweeping statement. I think most people would buy a new car if money wasn't an issue. Although I personally prefer the designs of some of the 80's & 90's cars, they do still go wrong, regularly, but they are usually much easier to fix. Depends on the owner really. If you don't know one end of a spanner from the other, then newer cars all the way. But if your not afraid of a little bit of diy, then older cars can make sense.

Advertisement