Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

why on earth would anyone buy a new car?!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ToolFool

That's a very sweeping statement. I think most people would buy a new car if money wasn't an issue. Although I personally prefer the designs of some of the 80's & 90's cars, they do still go wrong, regularly, but they are usually much easier to fix. Depends on the owner really. If you don't know one end of a spanner from the other, then newer cars all the way. But if your not afraid of a little bit of diy, then older cars can make sense.

I don't agree with it being a "sweeping statement". But i agree with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

if no one buys new, you wont have a ten year old car to buy in 10 years.... its the food chain

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ToolFool wrote: »
    Oh! Someone LOVES his Vectra!!

Wrong.:P
    Had a few Vectras but that was when I used to buy "OTHER PEOPLES CAST OFFS" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

if no one buys new, you wont have a ten year old car to buy in 10 years.... its the food chain

True !

Food chain? :p

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Wrong.:P
    Had a few Vectras but that was when I used to buy "OTHER PEOPLES CAST OFFS" :D

Oh, i see, you're talking about the good cars people trade in to get inferior cars?
    What have ya got now?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Oh, i see, you're talking about the good cars people trade in to get inferior cars?
    What have ya got now?

a bit of an attitude:D:D

mkdon05 wrote: »
    a bit of an attitude:D:D

Who? Me? NEVER!! :rolleyes:

What have ya got now?

08 Diesel cordoba :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

stek wrote: »
    I drive a 10 yer old VW. I have no problems with it, keep it serviced.

If I tip a pole or similar when parking I dont have to check if the paints been scratched!
    I can park it in the dodgiest places and not worry about it being stolen or broken into.
    I bought it 2nd hand and it was paid off years ago, more funds for travelling,house,entertainment, etc..
    It gets me to my destination just as fast as me mates 20K$+ car and keeps me just as dry as him!
    It has all the mod cons and if I hoover it out every now and then it smells just as good.
    Can someone please explain the advantages of having a new car?
    are you serious..."you say if you tip a pole or when parking you dont have to worry about it"..well id just hope you didnt bump into me!!I think you are on a different planet tbh.you seem like you couldnt give a sh*t when you are driving but then again you obvisiously are not matured YET!:D

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    08 Diesel cordoba :D

So, basically a Spanish VW Polo?
    My second car was an Ibiza, GREAT car, got it second hand! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Topic, oh topic ...wherever art thou ?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

IMO around 80%+ of people on 07/08 plates are financed, financing a car for such a large amount of money is ridiculous, and it loses an alarming amount of money as soon as it leaves the car show room.

by the time you fill her up with the first tank of petrol it probably has lost 5,000e of its value...:cool:

so the winner is the financial institutions and the looooosers are the people who finance new cars.

if you can afford a new car with cash kudos but its still a silly game.

I would never buy a spanking new car, our roads are amongst the worst in the EU, certainly 70% of our roads at least are National (disgrace) roads, buying a new car of 30k euro + to trod along these shyte roads is just a joke.

I would much prefer to get an older car and feel someone else hit the depreciation and take the smack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Food chain theory is good:D
    Even if money was no obsticle I couldnt part with 30K for a new car when I could get so much more secondhand. Is suppose there are people that get comfort from warranties and garages assurances but that wouldnt sway me.
    There is however the fact that you are getting something brand new and up to date. Even some 2004 cars have visually dated compared to the new ones today and engines and components keep getting better and more efficent. I suppose with financing its what you can afford to pay each week not what you have scraped together and the depreciation doesnt hurt as much, especially when you consider that a car is really a waste of money at the end of the day.

legs11 wrote: »
    IMO around 80%+ of people on 07/08 plates are financed, financing a car for such a large amount of money is ridiculous, and it loses an alarming amount of money as soon as it leaves the car show room.

by the time you fill her up with the first tank of petrol it probably has lost 5,000e of its value...:cool:

so the winner is the financial institutions and the looooosers are the people who finance new cars.

if you can afford a new car with cash kudos but its still a silly game.

I would never buy a spanking new car, our roads are amongst the worst in the EU, certainly 70% of our roads at least are National (disgrace) roads, buying a new car of 30k euro + to trod along these shyte roads is just a joke.

I would much prefer to get an older car and feel someone else hit the depreciation and take the smack.

good pointm, but its a cycle, qa lot of those cars are rentals, leased, company cars... so depreciation works in a different way, ask your accountant about assets!!

Privately financed cars often lead people into a new car trap, they finance, trade in after 2 years and refinance.... its an endless cycle, they always have a new or newish car, they never have to drive a car out of warranty , they never need to worry about a worn CV boot for an NCT and they only have to worry about paying the same 450/500 a month for the car... they dont care or want to care about what they could get off of carzone for the same money

then there are teh new gadget people, why anyone buys an iPhone I dunno, but thats my industry lots of people just want teh latest thing

Slig wrote: »
    Food chain theory is good:D
    Even if money was no obsticle I couldnt part with 30K for a new car when I could get so much more secondhand.

I thought the same until I needed a car to suit 5 of us (3 kids) and ther was no way I was putting my kids in a 5 year old Voyager (youtube those crash tests) or plastic renault (espace).

Depends on your intended use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Very interesting thread (when its on topic :D)

Anyhoo, this is my take. Up to last Monday I had a 1996 BMW 318i with about 150,000 miles on the clock. I got it last December after writing off my 2000 VW Golf (in an argument with a wooden fence!). I had the VW from new, and I got the BMW for about €3000 because I was smashed at the time and needed something to get around (I live in the middle of nowhere and commute to Dublin most days).

The BMW caused nothing but problems. I had it back to the garage about 5 times with overheating problems and the AA had to "rescue" me 3 or 4 times for various reasons like flat battery etc. Finally last Monday the head gasket blew and the car is now officially dead.

On Wednesday I bought a 2006 BMW 320i M Sport with about 20k on the clock. It is a beautiful car and I love it.

The car cost me less than €30k, and I think its an absolute bargain because that car would have cost over €50k new in 2006. The same car now would cost about €47 to put on the road new. I think I got an absolute bargain and I am absolutely delighted with the car. Like someone said above, its a short life (some will call me shallow for this I know) but fuck it, I want a good car after years of driving old cars.

So to me every cent I spent last Wednesday was totally, absolutely, 100% worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Like someone said above, its a short life (some will call me shallow for this I know) but fuck it, I want a good car after years of driving old cars.

So to me every cent I spent last Wednesday was totally, absolutely, 100% worth it.

I agree, you should be able to have nice things in life - god knows, most of us work bloody hard for it.

I'm also of the opinion that its best to buy a car in great condition & low mileage that's only a couple of years old. Having said that, if I won the Lotto tomorrow, I'd be sitting outside my local masser dealer with a big wad of crisp notes to buy a brand spanking new GTS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm also of the opinion that its best to buy a car in great condition & low mileage that's only a couple of years old.

This is the smartest way to go imho. You still have an almost new car (and warranty) for massive savings compared to the cost of a new car. And the depreciation is a lot less too.

I'm hoping to keep my current car for about 2 or 3 years and then buy another two year old car with low km's and in great condition.

(Hopefully!!!) no more nct's for me!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

cudos to you Gandalf. thats what 2nd hand cars are all about. You could have bought a new car for 30k, or a 2yo €50k car. Which one represents the most value?

I think the new v 2nd-hand all comes down to depreciation affordability. A Range Rover will depreciate about 10k per year. A Fiesta will probably depreciate 2-3k per year. People buy (most of the time) what they can afford

If I can afford 5k p.a to be burned in depreciation, then I'll buy a new Passat (I wouldn't, but just for example of a 5k car), or a 3yo 5-series.

being new or 2nd hand would be immaterial to me. the last car I got was new, previous one was 2nd hand. Next one will need to be bigger, so based on my depreciation budget it will probably be 2nd hand.

God I sound like an accountant.

• Advertisement

legs11 wrote: »
    IMO around 80%+ of people on 07/08 plates are financed, financing a car for such a large amount of money is ridiculous, and it loses an alarming amount of money .

You mean similar to Credit Cards?
    A|rent they those plastic things people carry around with them simply so as they can buy something even though they have not got the cash to do it and thus paying hefty interest rates ?

At leas with a car you have something to sell when you are finished with it :D

Advertisement