Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another post on low carbs, kind of

• 10-07-2008 3:25am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to be doing this, but I have some questions on the low carbs.

I'm 189cm and 98kg, approx 22% bodyfat. My goal is to cut fat. I estimate I am eating 2500-2600 calories a day.

I excercise 5 days a week split between lifting heavy and cardio. Lifting 3 days every week, mixed with Cardio most days but then I do some cardio in between. Running, swimming and cycling as I am training for a triathlon.

Thats plenty of pre amble I reckon. This week I have started to try and eat Carbs only first thing in the morning in the form of porridge and post work out in the form of either pasta or pita bread. Say 2 pitas or 2 handfuls of pasta.

This means that I am eating carbs twice a day still which worries me slightly. Should I cut out the carbs in the morning on the days I work out and only eat them PWO?

Are whole meal pita's a "good" source of carbs?

I think I am doing alright otherwise, lots of veg and lots of lean protein in my other meals.

My biggest concern is that it is really holding me back hauling 98kg around a pool, on a bike and running. I am signed up for a Tri on the 23rd of August which I am confident I can complete but I am hoping to cut 7-8 kg before this, is that wise?

Should I be posting this in fitness instead?

So many questions, apologies.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

what your doing is fine and the pitta is alright as long as its after cardio and weights.

Keep doing what your doing but you won't drop any more than 4kg by race date i would say - i think your ideal should be about 86-88kg for your height and sport.

Just basically eat a little less because even with the changes you have made you still need to watch your portions. Its farrrr easier doing a tri lighter and the more weight you drop the easier its going to be

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cheers man. I am being very careful about portion sizes alright.

When I say a bowl of porridge, a 3/4 full average size bowl and when I have a chicken salad its 1 chicken fillet and lots of leaves with a tiny amout of oil and vinegar to dress.

Even if I lose 4kg that would be great.

The only other thing I thought of after the original post was, I have been drinking about a litre of low fat milk a day. Should I cut this out?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Milk is generally a good food, but it does have carbs. A litre had quite a lot.

Personally, I'd be inclined to eat some sweet potato or something similar rather than bread, but that's your choice. The closer to nature the food is, the better.

EileenG wrote: »

Personally, I'd be inclined to eat some sweet potato or something similar rather than bread, but that's your choice. The closer to nature the food is, the better.

Dang.

Why sweet potato and not normal potato can I ask?

they/them/theirs

Much lower gi, slower release of energy, less insulin issues. Plus, they taste better.

I'd eat ordinary potatoes before or after workouts, sweet potato at other times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They taste better? Are you mad!
    There is nothing wrong woth the amount of them you are eating OP.
    As for milk, I'd drink hi/lo milk. (Lo in fat, high in vitamins.) There are 50g of carb in a litre, I would suggest drinking smoothies and water moreso than any dairy.
    You could milk or yogurt in em if you want. Or soya equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EileenG wrote: »
    Skimmed milk has more carbs than full sugar lilt. Not saying it is worse than lilt but it one fact that shocks many. Just read the labels! all the info is on 99% of products these days, there is no secret and no excuse, if your brand has no info pick up a similar one and check it. And beware of clever marketing and portion sizes. You might hear stuff like "milk has only 5% carbs or fat", but 1litre is around a kilo, do you eat a kilo of other stuff each day?

Get a digital scale and weigh food to get a better idea of portion sizes, I used to eat 800-1000kcal museli easily and thought it was normal.

rubadub wrote: »
    Skimmed milk has more carbs than full sugar lilt. Not saying it is worse than lilt but it one fact that shocks many. Just read the labels! all the info is on 99% of products these days, there is no secret and no excuse, if your brand has no info pick up a similar one and check it. And beware of clever marketing and portion sizes. You might hear stuff like "milk has only 5% carbs or fat", but 1litre is around a kilo, do you eat a kilo of other stuff each day?

Get a digital scale and weigh food to get a better idea of portion sizes, I used to eat 800-1000kcal museli easily and thought it was normal.

Right so, cut down on the milk. Would it be a good idea to leave out the pita bread PWO and drink milk for a nice carb/protein hit and use it to wash down a chicken salad?

Brian

they/them/theirs

Yeah, milk PWO should work. In fact, I have a vague memory of reading in a fitness magazine about a study which showed good results from drinking chocolate milk pwo. That might be taking it too far, but milk should be fine.

Coolio.

Might even give milk with a scoop of chocolate whey a taste to see how it is.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

To vary things up a bit have different complex carbs, you don't want a boring diet, I haven't eaten the same thing twice in a week, that would get boring. Things like wholemeal bread, potatoes, brown rice, grains and wholemeal pasta would be better carbs than others. Better GI too.

Advertisement