Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Helicopter -Dublin City

• 10-07-2008 8:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch this yesterday?

Eurocopter EC135P2 -
    Flying over Dublin City around the time the news broke about Dublin Airports radar system? (coincidental, maybe I dunno)

Im sure the conspiracy theorists amongst us will believe something far more sinister is at play at Dublin Airport with two or three radar failure in as many months, aren't these systems supposed to have a backup. Perhaps US disabled our radar to fly some rendition flights across our airspace... who knows. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

CTU_Agent wrote: »
    . Perhaps US disabled our radar to fly some rendition flights across our airspace... who knows. :rolleyes:

Well USAF F-22 Raptors did go through Irish Airspace enroute to RIAT in the UK.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

no mini guns :( very disappointing!

Its as useful as normal chopper lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Radley

Steyr wrote: »
    Well USAF F-22 Raptors did go through Irish Airspace enroute to RIAT in the UK.:pac:

When did that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Radley wrote: »
    When did that happen?

RIAT is this weekend - 12th/13th July - so they'll have arrived by wednesday just familiarise with the UK flying environment.

its quite possible that they won't have flown in Irish airspace, purely because the shortest route between the US and the UK means flying up near Icelend - bizarrely enough, and no, i still don't understand it.

incidentally, if you want to go you now need to by tickets before you get there, they are no longer selling tickets at the gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Nam_Man

CTU_Agent wrote: »
    Anyone catch this yesterday?

Eurocopter EC135P2 -
    Flying over Dublin City around the time the news broke about Dublin Airports radar system? (coincidental, maybe I dunno)

Im sure the conspiracy theorists amongst us will believe something far more sinister is at play at Dublin Airport with two or three radar failure in as many months, aren't these systems supposed to have a backup. Perhaps US disabled our radar to fly some rendition flights across our airspace... who knows. :rolleyes:

Naahhh .. prob was doing another recce landing @ Beaumont Hospital!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Seen a EC135P2 last week in Donegal.Not sure if it was a military one but it was flying low and fast.Couldent beleive how quiet it was.Not the first time I have seen the air corp about these parts.Seen one chopper pulling off mad manouveoures above the house and hovering a few feet over fields.

Who flys the Gardai choppers?Again plenty of times I have seen them up here.One time so low I could see the man waving out the side door.Some pretty good pilots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

gardai helicopters are flown by air corps pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 U4IK ST8

Just found this chopper now after some googling, it was over my house today and didn't look green, but anyway. How come the Irish flag is reversed on the tail?

U4IK ST8 wrote: »
    Just found this chopper now after some googling, it was over my house today and didn't look green, but anyway. How come the Irish flag is reversed on the tail?

The reason has to do with proper display of the flag. Basically think of the Aircraft as a flag pole and the tricolor is flying from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 U4IK ST8

Ah I see, thanks for that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

OS119 wrote: »
    its quite possible that they won't have flown in Irish airspace, purely because the shortest route between the US and the UK means flying up near Icelend - bizarrely enough, and no, i still don't understand it.

It's due to the Earth's curvature - the straight line on a (flat paper) map is notthe most direct route.
    Steyr wrote: »
    The reason has to do with proper display of the flag. Basically think of the Aircraft as a flag pole and the tricolor is flying from it.

Phew, I was bracing myself for an argument which was going to descend into why the yanks wear backwards flags etc :D:D

Timely save ;)

concussion wrote: »

Phew, I was bracing myself for an argument which was going to descend into why the yanks wear backwards flags etc :D:D

Timely save ;)

No Problemo!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

OS119 wrote: »
    purely because the shortest route between the US and the UK means flying up near Icelend - bizarrely enough, and no, i still don't understand it.

The earth is potato shaped, and crinkly.

A nautical mile, near the north pole is smaller than one near the equator.
    This is standardised to 1853 metres between 76N and 76S

Further south the earth 'bulges' out, and its flattened at the top.

That flight path is done on a gnomic projection, not a mercator projection that most of us are used to.

Its called a great circle track.

Advertisement