Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting this, want to know it's origins though....

Options
  • 10-07-2008 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

....Please move if this is in the wrong place. But I was wondering does anyone know what the below picture (the design on the drum) symbolizes? I know the pic is of the kodo drummers (and being a drummer it intrigued me). Thanks a mil.

kodo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

chin_grin wrote: »
    kodo.jpg

It is called a “tomoe,” and its a symbol of the spiral created by the energy of thunder and cloud, fire and water and universal creation. Very similar to Yin-Yang really.

The spiral represents the clashing and flow of Heaven and Earth, Yin and Yang.
    In Japan, the tomoe was considered to be the shape of the human soul. Some families use them as their family crest. Very popular among the samurai class.

Another meaning, and one which I like, is that it has been associated with the god of war Hachiman.

Just found more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsu_tomoe
    http://original.britannica.com/eb/art-5797/Hachiman-woodblock-print?articleTypeId=1

"The crest of Hachiman is in the design of a tomoe, a round whirlpool or vortex with three heads swirling right or left. Many samurai clans used the tomoe crest as their own"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

A gent and a scholar, thanking you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Thats a pretty cool sign in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

Alternatively known as a mitsu tomoe, the above entry is pretty comprehensive and covers it, i think it is also used as a symbol of the wind god, i wanna say fujin but i couldnt be sure, i think its a great tattoo idea good luck

Advertisement