Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eL transfer window thread

• 10-07-2008 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Its been open a week and no thread?

I don't think anything major has happened aprt from Faz to Drogs so far.

Cork City have some dude called Brendan McGill on trial for a few days. Right winger whose most recent club was Gretna. Also played for Carlisle under Roderick.

George O Callaghan whose contract with City was "terminated" should be signing (or maybe already has) for Tranmere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=934
    Some fella called McCabe on loan from Bray (which isn't boring, OR full of scumbags)

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=929
    Some fella called McAllister on loan from Drogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pats have signed Derek O' Brien from Galway and brought back Dave Rodgers from his loan spell at Sporting Fingal

monkey9 wrote: »
    Pats have ... brought back Dave Rodgers from his loan spell at Sporting Fingal

What?

I thought him to Shrewsbury was a done deal?

Des wrote: »
    What?

I thought him to Shrewsbury was a done deal?

Nope, he was on the bench the other night against Finn Harps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Shane McFaul back to UCD. Played 90 minutes last week against Drogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Mark Leech is a hoop, straight swap for Alan Murphy. Big boots to fill in terms of his da!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Mansaram back to England, Anto Murphy in, Ndo apparently has agreed a "heavily based on pay as you play" contract but Pats want a fee.

Keegan, S Byrne and Gary O'Neill aparently signing at end of season when contracts are up.

Mark Leech is a hoop,
    Has he even been getting his game for Galway?

He was decent enough in the First with us.

Got up to some fairly serious stuff on the last day of last season though, if the stories are to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Is Brian Cash staying with Sligo?

And, has Ndo joined Bohs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Got up to some fairly serious stuff on the last day of last season though, if the stories are to be believed.

He had the class but my god he was one awfully lazy prick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

What kind of stories? Never heard them myself.

After drawing 1-1, and then beating Wexford Youths twice more that season, Shelbourne went and lost 3-1, in Tolka Park to them on the last day of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Glynn from Galway was linked with Dundalk all last week but then the wee fcuker went and scored twice against Cork. Reckon that may have blown Dundalks chances of getting him.

Dundalk also offered Leech a deal but the spanner rejected it in favour of a move to Rovers! What was the lad thinking.

After drawing 1-1, and then beating Wexford Youths twice more that season, Shelbourne went and lost 3-1, in Tolka Park to them on the last day of last season.

That was alot more than just Leech's fault. Unless I've totally missed your point.

He scored that day as well didn't he? Free kick in the last minute:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Pighead wrote: »
    Glynn from Galway was linked with Dundalk all last week but then the wee fcuker went and scored twice against Cork. Reckon that may have blown Dundalks chances of getting him.

Dundalk also offered Leech a deal but the spanner rejected it in favour of a move to Rovers! What was the lad thinking.

Heard about Glynn. Think the chances are slim.. Wouldn't have minded him coming to Oriel. Would love to get Sammin but it's pie in the sky i'm afraid..

Not overly confident that we will sign the striker that we really need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

he was and it will be interesting to see can Scully get his undoubted potential out of him.
    Pighead wrote: »

lets see. play premier division football for the club he supported as a boy and his father was a legend at and be involved in the tallaght move or play for a perpertual first division club in a crumbling stadium.

tough one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

DSB wrote: »
    That was alot more than just Leech's fault. Unless I've totally missed your point.

Basically a number of players from a certain team backed the other team to win. Many of that team then made themselves a nice little departing bonus with one player having €1,200 on the away side at 9/2.

raheny red wrote: »
    Basically a number of players from a certain team backed the other team to win. Many of that team then made themselves a nice little departing bonus with one player having €1,200 on the away side at 9/2.

Jesus, is the source on this reliable? Do any of the players still play for this anonymous club?

bohsman wrote: »
    Mansaram back to England, Anto Murphy in, Ndo apparently has agreed a "heavily based on pay as you play" contract but Pats want a fee.

Keegan, S Byrne and Gary O'Neill aparently signing at end of season when contracts are up.

'Heavily' being the appropriate word. Honestly, if Ndo is getting paid play as you play, he might as well sign on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

City not expected to sign Brendan McGill. A tad lightweight I am told.

Some fella called Laurie Dudfield in on trial at the moment. Some journeyman striker.

raheny red wrote: »
    Jesus, is the source on this reliable? Do any of the players still play for this anonymous club?

The source is as reliable as you'll get with a story like this one.

None of the players involved are still with the club, afaik.

Jesus. Never knew about that story:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Shels and Kildare have swapped Phillys. Gorman for Hughes.

i'd imagine shels will still be paying a lot if not all of Hughes wages as theres no way kildare would be able to match what he would have been on with shels.

Amazed by that leech story tbh

Shels and Kildare have swapped Phillys. Gorman for Hughes.

Nothing signed on that deal yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Nothing signed on that deal yet.

http://www.kildarecountyfc.com/news/news-details.asp?NewsID=1051

done deal according to this

Ah, cheers for that.

Heh, The Thoroughbreds in a deal for two Philly's. :pac:

i'd imagine shels will still be paying a lot if not all of Hughes wages as theres no way kildare would be able to match what he would have been on with shels.

Seriously doubt this is the case. Otherwise there'd be no point in getting rid of him since we'd have been trying to get rid of him in the first place to save on wages. I'm sure Philly Hughes knows that he isn't going to get into Dermot Keely's plans any time soon. His contract would be up at the end of the year so he'd then be out of a job. It makes way more sense for him to play football for the year and boost his reputation as a player, than let himself vegetate at Shels and struggle to get a club at the end of the year. I'm sure he was willing to make the move.

Georgescu has gone to Shels.

• Advertisement

Sunderland are after Myer from Cork City. They have had two bids rejected. When I first read the story I thought it was the guy who used to play for Shamrock Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

I'm 90% sure that it was me who leaked this one. I was informed about it about 3 weeks before the game. There are a few fans of this club who could easily back that up too.

Sunderland are after Myer from Cork City. They have had two bids rejected. When I first read the story I thought it was the guy who used to play for Shamrock Rovers.
    David Meyler. Only turned 19 recently, has been capped at U19 for Ireland. Cork turned down €150k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

David Meyler. Only turned 19 recently, has been capped at U19 for Ireland. Cork turned down €150k.

Son of John Meyler, Wexford hurling manager.

Georgescu has apparently signed for Shels, he played and scored in the friendly with Millwall last night (1-1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Rumours that they are after Mooney also.

Piece in the Mirror that Hibernian winger Niall Gallagher is training with Cork City.

• Advertisement

Sunderland have ben tracking Meyler for a few months now. Good enough for them, but not good enough to get into the City 1st eleven? The mind boggles? But who would dare drop Healy or Gamble?

€900k is the word that Sunderland are looking at paying for Mooney.

gimmick wrote: »

€900k is the word that Sunderland are looking at paying for Mooney.

Could they be pushed to a million I wonder?

Is he actually that good? I mean O'Donovan has hardly set the world on fire over there, has he?

Could they be pushed to a million I wonder?

Is he actually that good? I mean O'Donovan has hardly set the world on fire over there, has he?

I think £2m would be better considering that's what Stokes moved for. Mooney is better than ROD. If Sunderland want him they'll have to stump up the cash (and add-ons) because he's on a 3 year contract.

£2m is definitely too much. One of the top strikers in League 2 last season moved to a Championship club for £750k (€975k). Mooney looks like he is going to get 20 goals this season in a league that is at least similar standard to League 2. Cork should be looking for at least the same amount.

eL is definitely a level above League 2. By my reckoning, and I actually see a few league 1 games a season (being an Orient fan) is that the better eL sides would be promotion chasing league one sides, and relegation threatened Championship sides.

Mooney is not a better player that O Donovan IMO, but would ahte to lose him also.

• Advertisement

League two isn't close to Eircom League. I think the Cork City team with a few other signings woud do well in Championship.

gimmick wrote: »
    I actually see a few league 1 games a season (being an Orient fan)

You fly over to England to watch games?

Shame on you. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Harps have got hold of Dave Bryne(Athlone Town), David Tyrrell (Shamrock Rovers), Neil McCafferty (Grays Athletic) and Austin Friel (Dungannon Swifts)

curry-muff wrote: »
    Neil McCafferty
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Maxy Creams gone on loan to Cobh I believe.

Rumour has it that Joe has signed a 3 year deal with City :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Wow, Thats a big boost to the morale before the match tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

We now have money to bring players in, Turner and Hunt must take at least 5k a week off the wage bill. Unfotunately players in are likely to be Ndo and/or S Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

David myler has signed for Sunderland for €230,000.

Better than the €15,000 we got for Shane Long.

Was going to struggle for a chance with Gamble and Healy. Still not ideal to see young players leave.

If true, why would he want to stay? To play in Bishopstown in frot of 40 people?

Good deal all round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement