Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City cycle

Options
  • 10-07-2008 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've seen recently poster with some upcoming events for July or August this year. I think amongst them was King of the concrete. Anyway I noticed there a dublin city cycle or something like that. I tried to search the net for it but so far didn't find anything. Maybe someone knows something bout this event ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

I think it's in September this year. If memory serves, it's a cycle round IFSC and Docklands and part of the city centre. Lots of people turn out to see just how bad Dublin is to cycle in :)

Also I have to assume you have no google skills :p I you search for Dublin City Cycle, the first result is www.dublincitycycle.ie (which seems to be broken) and Dublinks. There was a thread here about it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

ahh silly me, thank god I know which side of my bike is front side ;)

Now when I have lot more info about the matter I think I won't try this thing anyway. Imagined it was some nice event but it can't as roads aren't.

Thanks tho. I'll try to improve my google skills :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

omri wrote: »
    ahh silly me, thank god I know which side of my bike is front side ;)

Now when I have lot more info about the matter I think I won't try this thing anyway. Imagined it was some nice event but it can't as roads aren't.

Thanks tho. I'll try to improve my google skills :P

I think it is something along the lines of what you imagined, from the Irish Times...
    There was a very special moment during last year's organised cycle in Dublin that Michael Aherne is hoping to relive next week. It was when a gentle silence fell on one of the noisiest, most traffic-choked streets in the city. "If you can imagine Capel Street with hundreds of cyclists on it and the only sound was the hum of the tyres on the road, people chatting and the occasional bicycle bell. Dublin is usually such a noisy city, that's part of the joy of this event." Senior transportation planner with the Dublin Transport Office, Michael, and his 10-year-old son, Michael, will have their bikes oiled and ready for this year's Dublin City Cycle on Wednesday.

"You'll be able to cycle round and talk and see the city from a completely different perspective." Will it not make us all wish it could be like that more often? "Well, that's part of it. These things make people think and raise questions about how much traffic do we want or need in Dublin and whether you move the balance back towards the person? With people who haven't been on bike in years you've got to get them on a saddle and remind them how good it is to cycle and how short the distances are in the city centre."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I did it last year and really enjoyed it. So nice to cycle around the city and appreciate the ride instead of watching out for other road users

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I meant to take part in this last year but they had it on a Sunday morning and I ended being too hungover for it :(
    Reckon I'll definitely try and do it this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 carmanach

There was a road closure notice in Wednesday Irish Indo for the Dublin City Cycle on Sunday 14th September between 8.30 and 11:30. It starts in Merrion Square, over to hatch Streetup Wexford Street to College Green, around parnell Square and back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Sounds like Critical Mass with a less aggressive attitude!

Advertisement