Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Money Abroad?

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

So I'm in Oz for a few months. Don't have travellers cheques so I figured I'd do what I always do when abroad an rely on my Cirrus Card, drawing off my student current account.

Thing is I was on 365 online last night and saw a CIR charge after each withdrawal, of about E3 per E30 (or roughly AUS$50) withdrawal. I had no idea there was a fee for withdrawing from an ATM while abroad. Plus I had no idea it was almost 10%! (Or is this just a charge for withdrawing from certain ATMS?)

Don't have a credit card with me, what're my options for the six weeks I have left on my trip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some charge more than others but they'll charge it back to your bank. I've been charged for all transactions abroad, although I suspect it was a fixed charge. Not sure what you can do apart from maybe get a one-off money transfer and buy traveller's cheques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Get authorised on one of your parents credit cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is the 3 euro a fixed fee? Check with your bank. If it's 3 euro per transaction you might be better taking out more at a time.

Does your friend have a different bank? Are his rates better? Transfer money online to him and have him withdraw for you.

Advertisement