Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

IN
    CASE
    OF EMERGENCY !!!

Check "ICE" in your phone !!!

Watching the news last night they said if you do one thing this weekend make sure you tell people just to type in ICE into their phone and in the event of an emergency you your disabled and cant talk or for some reason the first person needs to contact your wife/husband or next of kin they can look through your phone and when they see the name "ICE" THE DETAILS STORED FOR THIS NAME WILL BE THE PERSON you wish then to contact incase of emergency ? Why hasn`t anybody thought of this before ? ....amazing GREAT IDEA ...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

DJKAV wrote: »
    IN
    CASE
    OF EMERGENCY !!!

Check "ICE" in your phone !!!

Watching the news last night they said if you do one thing this weekend make sure you tell people just to type in ICE into their phone and in the event of an emergency you your disabled and cant talk or for some reason the first person needs to contact your wife/husband or next of kin they can look through your phone and when they see the name "ICE" THE DETAILS STORED FOR THIS NAME WILL BE THE PERSON you wish then to contact incase of emergency ? Why hasn`t anybody thought of this before ? ....amazing GREAT IDEA ...

Perhaps if you can't talk, you also can't type? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Well I think the idea is that the emergency services can pick up any persons phone and go straight to ICE and have a number to phone.

There was an email going around about this a couple of years ago - I know I have this done with a couple of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Perhaps if you can't talk, you also can't type? :rolleyes:

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i think the names i already have in my phone should be suitable
    mam
    honey
    home
    work

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

Following research carried out by Vodafone that showed that fewer than 25% of people carry any details of who they would like telephoned following a serious accident, a campaign encouraging people to do this was started in May 2005 by Bob Brotchie of the East Anglia Ambulance Service in the UK.
    The idea has taken off since the July 7, 2005 London bomb attacks.
    When interviewed on July 12, 2005 on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme, Brotchie said:
    "I was reflecting on some difficult calls I've attended, where people were unable to speak to me through injury or illness and we were unable to find out who they were. I discovered that many people, obviously, carry mobile phones and we were using them to discover who they were. It occurred to me that if we had a uniform approach to searching inside a mobile phone for an emergency contact then that would make it easier for everyone."
    Brotchie also urged mobile phone manufacturersin 2005 to support the campaign by adding an ICE heading to phone number lists of all new mobile phones. This is a very good idea but yet still has not being done by phone companys THIS JULY 2008 !!!

Not everybody would like "mam or honey or dad" to be notified first as this may cause more confusion if they not in speaking terms .. or if they have passed away or maybe they would like their husband or wife to be contacted simply first !! ..

• Advertisement

DJKAV wrote: »
    or if they have passed away or maybe they would like their husband or wife to be contacted simply first !! ..

if your not on speaking terms with the dead people in your mobile phonebook i suggest you delete their number..

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Stab*City wrote: »
    if your not on speaking terms with the dead people in your mobile phonebook i suggest you delete their number..

Don't delete it if you ARE still on speaking terms with the dead people in your mobile phonebook!

Seriously though, what a good idea.

We are gone off track now.... OK i`ll play if somebody died who was close to you how long would it take for you to delete their phone number ?

if things got bad would you send off a text ? ... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's a good idea but most people will have things like Home, Dad and Mam in their phone already.

Another thing too.

If your "ice" person is your mother, then you'll have to change "mam" to "ice" in your phone book and that'll just be annoying.

ICE calling.
    New message from ICE.

It's a good idea but most people will have things like Home, Dad and Mam in their phone already.

Another thing too.

If your "ice" person is your mother, then you'll have to change "mam" to "ice" in your phone book and that'll just be annoying.

ICE calling.
    New message from ICE.

i have an iphone anyway and if i get into trouble steve jobs actually calls round to see if all is ok..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I changed this last year or the year before
    "ICE girlfriend" landed me in trouble when she first saw it :D

biko wrote: »
    Yeah I changed this last year or the year before
    "ICE girlfriend" landed me in trouble when she first saw it :D

i can see why!! she probably thought u were taking a hit out on her!! ice the girlfriend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Great idea to have a dedicated contact code for emergency personal to look for.

It doesn't inconvenience you in any way, so why not make things easier in case of emergency?

@ Stab*City, I for one wouldn't think of searching under "honey", or the hundreds of other pet names one may use, to find a contact.

raido9 wrote: »
    @ Stab*City, I for one wouldn't think of searching under "honey", or the hundreds of other pet names one may use, to find a contact.

ya but im sure you would cop the names mam and so on.. anyway if your going through someones phonebook there are plenty names u would find before ICE

home
    hunnybunch
    honey
    baby
    ball n chain
    the list goes on!!

but ya if this was to become a standard it would be great.. but it would have to be widespread.. its the first i heard of it and one of the previous posters said he knew of it a year or two ago.. is this a code already used by the emergency services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

So if ICE is the person you want contacted in an emergency, does that mean "Black ICE" would be the person you wouldn't want contacted if they were the last person on earth??? :D

*I'll get my coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

what have people done those decades ago without a mobile phone addressbook? did ye had a paperslip in your wallet called "ICE"?

it`s around for ages but i`m sure we will hear alot more of it in the coming weeks ...

Advertisement