Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A few basic questions from a learner

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

So i've had 4 driving lessons so far and some have been better than others. My steering is better than i thought it would be, and i tend to stay relatively calm while driving but i keep having the same problems so i have a few questions!

When coming to lights/a roundabout/a junction do you brake and then clutch or vice versa?

If approaching one of the above, say in 4th gear, do you downshift well in advance or do you just quickly go from 4th to 2nd as you approach and when your at a stop, downshift to first?

If in 4th gear can you go into 3rd and then into 2nd without taking your foot off the clutch?

I have stalled the car when taking off a good few times cos im taking my foot off the clutch too fast. Any tips on this?

I know some of you probably think im an eejit but i know very little about cars and we all had to start somewhere! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    When coming to lights/a roundabout/a junction do you brake and then clutch or vice versa?

Yes, you start to brake and then engage clutch. The clutch is engaged at the end so that the engine won't stall

If approaching one of the above, say in 4th gear, do you downshift well in advance or do you just quickly go from 4th to 2nd as you approach and when your at a stop, downshift to first?

Depending on your speed and cars behind you. If there are no-one behind you then shift down to 3rd, and then 2nd once your speed is appropriate. If there are people behind you may want to keep your speed up until "final approach" and then use the brakes to slow you down.
    Only shift to 1st once car is stopped or moving extremely slow.

If in 4th gear can you go into 3rd and then into 2nd without taking your foot off the clutch?

I do this. You can go straight and "blockshift"

I have stalled the car when taking off a good few times cos im taking my foot off the clutch too fast. Any tips on this?

More gas and listen to the engine. If you hear it start conking out then more gas.
    My post in bold above. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

So i've had 4 driving lessons so far and some have been better than others. My steering is better than i thought it would be, and i tend to stay relatively calm while driving but i keep having the same problems so i have a few questions!

A good trick to remember is "BBC"- Brake Before Clutch". You only clutch right at the end.

Your gear should match your speed, so it depends on how quickly you brake.
    If you have braked relatively quickly then go from 4 to 2- but you are better off braking well in advance and gently so then you would go 4-3-2.

No, you should go straight from 4th to 2nd, or from 5th to 3rd, if you are dropping so much speed. However when going up you must go 1-2-3-4-5.

I used to count to 3 as I took my foot off the clutch. I was very nervous which made my movements jumpy but counting to 3 helped.
    I know some of you probably think im an eejit but i know very little about cars and we all had to start somewhere! Cheers!

We have all been there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Not an eejit at all, you ask smarter questions than I did when I was learning.

1. When coming to lights/a roundabout/a junction do you brake and then clutch or vice versa?

2. If approaching one of the above, say in 4th gear, do you downshift well in advance or do you just quickly go from 4th to 2nd as you approach and when your at a stop, downshift to first?

3. If in 4th gear can you go into 3rd and then into 2nd without taking your foot off the clutch?

4. I have stalled the car when taking off a good few times cos im taking my foot off the clutch too fast. Any tips on this?

1. Brake first. Adjust to appropriate speed for the hazard then select the right gear for the speed.

2. Not too sure what you mean, first, see point 1. Then if you do need to come to a complete halt only shift into first when stopped. You shouldn't need to do anything "quickly" if your speed is right.

3. You can but why? If you aren't going to engage don't select. But don't skip more than one either. 5th to 3rd ok, 4th to 2nd ok, 5th to 2nd bad. Keep the gear engaged until you intend to engage a lower gear. Clutch in engine does not control the car, keep this time as short as possible. Again, speed first, then select appropriate gear and you won't have a problem with that.

4. Practice makes perfect, every car is slightly different in taking off. More powerful engines make it easier. I find when you feel the engine revs drop, pause the left foot for a second and give a little more throttle. Then resume slightly lifting with the left. There's a lot of factors including forward movement of the car that effect this so it's complicated. Practice is the only solution. Go to a car park for 20 mins a day and you'll have it in a week or so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

2.There is no rule stating you must "block change" from 4th to 2nd, or 5th to 3rd. You may do either, ie cycle through 4th, 3rd, 2nd stop. Or 4th, 2nd, stop, i would downshift in advance.
    3. I think you're asking whether or not you should release the clutch between gear changes? If that's what you werre asking then yes, while braking/slowing down, from 4th, clutch in, change to third, release clutch, clutch in, change to second, release clutch and clutch in and stop before the engine struggles.
    4. As for the clutch. It's really all down to practise, practise finding the biting point and get a few for what you're doing. You will become much quicker the more you practise.
    No need to feel silly. We were ALL there! This is what this forum is all about, helping learners with whatever questions they have. Be sure to post back if you have any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

(MOD EDIT)

happy motoring...keep it slow till you get the hang of things...!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can come to a stop in 3rd gear as well, without having to go 4 - 3 - 2.

A lot of the gear advice all depends on your car and the speed you are travelling at. Listen to your car's engine and feel it (sounds a bit daft) and you will learn the best gears etc for your car and how to take off in it.

Good luck with practising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Thanks for the OP and answers- cleared up a few things for me too! :)

Driving is hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

<SNIP>

Tip 3. Don't listen to rubbish like this from anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

NO!!! This is called coasting and will cause you too fail your test, if you go along a road with your foot on the clutch like that you don't actually have control of the car.

Bring your foot up slowely off the clutch until you can feel the car "wanting to move", then then gently apply pressure to the accelerator and finally bring your foot off the clutch.

dudara wrote: »
    You can come to a stop in 3rd gear as well, without having to go 4 - 3 - 2.

A lot of the gear advice all depends on your car and the speed you are travelling at. Listen to your car's engine and feel it (sounds a bit daft) and you will learn the best gears etc for your car and how to take off in it.

Good luck with practising.

Yeah completely agree, every car is different so it's hard to come to a definite "this way works". But "generally" in smaller engined cars the above will work just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Thanks for all the posts lads very helpful! I have another lesson tonight so hopefully i will fare better. Just can't wait to get my own car and the freedom it brings!

Yeah completely agree, every car is different so it's hard to come to a definite "this way works". But "generally" in smaller engined cars the above will work just fine.

I'm almost sure you can't do this in your test, because in order for the car not to stutter or stall by slowing down in 3rd gear you'll have to put the clutch down earlier which means a longer distance travelled with the clutch in and as i've already said, thats coasting which equals fail....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Steve_o wrote: »
    I'm almost sure you can't do this in your test, because in order for the car not to stutter or stall by slowing down in 3rd gear you'll have to put the clutch down earlier which means a longer distance travelled with the clutch in and as i've already said, thats coasting which equals fail....

I stop in 3rd quite frequently and I passed my test doing it. To be honest, it all depends on your car. Some cars can come to nearly a complete stop in 3rd without having to clutch, others can't. In my case, I don't need to clutch until the final few feet.

I wish people wouldn't put down hard and fast rules like "Stop in X gear" as things like that vary from car to car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 car37

hi just done some driving lessons and i am very confused about what you do when you come to roundabout i was told to stop in second gear but when i brake down in second gear down to the lowest sometimes it stalls one instructor said to go to 1st gear before it stalls but another instructor said to stop in second what i really want to know what do they mean? clutch in and brake together in second gear will that stop car, very confused

You should stop in second gear, you should be pressing down on the clutch before the engine begins to struggle/shudder. This would mean breaking, cycling through the gears (eg, while braking, 4th, clutch in, change to third, release clutch, clutch in, change to second, release clutch and just before coming to a halt clutch in)

You should stop in second gear, you should be pressing down on the clutch before the engine begins to struggle/shudder. This would mean breaking, cycling through the gears (eg, while braking, 4th, clutch in, change to third, release clutch, clutch in, change to second, release clutch and just before coming to a halt clutch in)

Correct, Its not good practise to stop in 1st gear, you should only change to first once you've stopped and are ready to take off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Steve_o wrote: »
    When people fail for 'coasting' it is usually for cornering with the clutch pedal depressed (instead of selecting the correct cornering gear) rather than for pressing the clutch pedal when coming to a stop in 3rd gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

So i did a bit of driving in my parents car for the first time the weekend. Went pretty well but i'm still conking it regularly...when i'm reaching biting point and i start to accelerate i tend to just let my foot off the clutch too fast then which results in me stalling and f'ing and blinding to a ridiculous extent! My gear changing can be a bit dodgy too at times but hopefully it will all come together with a bit more practice

Everyone goes through that stage where you're still trying to get used to the clutch and biting point, a bit of practise and some lessons will soon have you mastering it. It all comes down to practise really, the more you practise the better you'll get. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

So i did a bit of driving in my parents car for the first time the weekend. Went pretty well but i'm still conking it regularly...when i'm reaching biting point and i start to accelerate i tend to just let my foot off the clutch too fast then which results in me stalling and f'ing and blinding to a ridiculous extent! My gear changing can be a bit dodgy too at times but hopefully it will all come together with a bit more practice

Hey, that was and to a lesser extent(thankfully) is me today ... The main thing to remember is not to panic; if it happens it happens - you just recover and move on from it as best you can while staying calm behind the wheel.

Practice is most definitely the best advice anyone can give with this. You can hear about it over and over but unless you're behind the wheel and going through the motions yourself you won't find yourself better able to handle it if it happens again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

When coming to lights/a roundabout/a junction do you brake and then clutch or vice versa? !

Your driving instructor should have made it crystal clear, leaving no room whatsoever for any misunderstanding that in above situation you MUST brake first. Clutching first can be extremely dangerous.

!

If there is a possibility that it might be clear, on approach you slow to the speed that can negotiate the roundabout, (roughly 2nd gear if small roundabout, 3rd if large), select appropriate gear and then stop or go as situation dictates.

If you know you are going to stop then here is an extract from the Institute of advanced Motorists handbook
    Coming to a Stop
    The technique you use when coming to a complete halt after driving along in one of the higher gears often causes problems for candidates during the Advanced Driving Test. What you should do is best illustrated by imagining you are travelling along a suburban road in fifth gear at 40mph and traffic lights ahead turn red.

You slow down your car on the brakes alone, but there comes a point when the engine starts to labour. This is the moment when you de-clutch progressively, in order to prevent the engine straining the transmission and ultimately stalling. Normally it is a rule of advanced driving that you should not 'coast' with the clutch disengaged or the gearbox in neutral, but in this case you have to break this rule briefly by de-clutching so that you come to a halt without stalling the engine

Are you stalling regularly or only at lights or junctions when there is pressure ??

With no pressure, after proper tuition you should not stall.
    Depress the clutch and select 1st gear. (Palm facing away)

Set the power of the engine, that is rev the engine slightly.

Now let the clutch up slowly, until you hear the sound of the engine deepen.

Stop at this point, you have found the bite or the holding point. Now hold both feet still.

Check to the front of the car, interior mirror, right mirror and over your right shoulder for the blind spot.

If safe and clear, indicate

Release the handbrake and return your hand to the steering wheel.

Let the clutch up very slightly

The car should now start moving slowly forward.

Wait for a second or so until the car has gained a little momentum.

Let the clutch up smoothly all the way

Increase gas.

At lights, simply don't panic:). Practice where quiet, then "Do" the lights.
    I know some of you probably think im an eejit Cheers!

Nope, but perhaps in selection :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 student07

doing my test in a non-power- steering car. seeing as there is quite adifference between that and power steering cars, should you say something to the tester before setting off?or just presume that they will notice?

student07 wrote: »
    doing my test in a non-power- steering car. seeing as there is quite adifference between that and power steering cars, should you say something to the tester before setting off?or just presume that they will notice?

No need really, i'm sure the tester will see when doing the technical checks that the car does not have power steering, either way, Whether you have power steering or not shouldn't affect your driving or result. Just take your time with your manoeuvres and make sure the car is moving, even if it's only slightly, so as to make the steering easier, when doing your three point turn for example.
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Takes a bit of nerve to get it right, but basically you brake with the clutch up, if needed you go down your gears as your speed slows and let the clutch out in each gear. When the engine starts to struggle, push the cluctch in and come to a stop. To avoid a jerky stop, gently come off the brake as you are about to stop.

ie. Pushing the brake down 3 inches will slow you when travelling at 50kph, pushing the brake in 3 inches while travelling at 2kph will stop you dead in your tracks, so come off to 1 inch or whatever your car needs

Depends on the car/roundabout, in the test some examiners will want to see you prepare for a hazard well in advandce, this means begining the routine of slowing to a stop as soon as you know you might need to stop.

If you can see for miles around the roundabout then you can saftley go to it in 4th and drop it into 2nd in the last couple of meters, if not, get ready to come to a complete stop by gradually slowing down.

Remember, its not a speed test, but a saftey test, so always do the saftest things possible

if you have lost spped and need to go to 4th to 2nd, do it by simply pushing the clutch in and going straight to 2nd and gently coming off the clutch. You can skip gears both up and down in modern cars. If you rev high in 2nd for some reason, instead of going to 3rd and also high reving you can go straight to 4th.

Same applies slowing down, if you have to slow down in a very short distance go from 4th to 2nd.

This should not be the norm though, and should be avoided, as it is safter to go down and up through all the gears.

But no matter what gear you pick, let the clutch out to select it..

Move your foot up in one movement, dont pause, dont hold it at a certain point, and at a slower speed (until youre used to it). Simply practice pulling your foot up off the clutch in one steady movement. Then practice pushing down on the gas with the same steady movement.

you simply start pushing down on the gas later. Practice practice practice, stop start for a good hour somewhere quiet and it will all come into place

I dont think youre an eejit

See my replies in bold, and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Move your foot up in one movement, dont pause, dont hold it at a certain point, and at a slower speed (until youre used to it). Simply practice pulling your foot up off the clutch in one steady movement. Then practice pushing down on the gas with the same steady movement.

When exactly do you release the handbrake ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Release the handbrake just as you feel the car "wanting" to move.

edit:

I'm not so sure about this. The best way to find the biting point in any car is to slowly release the clutch until such time as the engine revs start to drop slightly. I had real problems with taking off when I learnt, although I usually found myself pulling away too quickly. I'd suggest, while practicing in a safe place, that any learner release the clutch very slowly until the engine begins to die. Hold the clutch at that point and slowly press the accelerator. Release the clutch slowly while applying equal pressure to the accelerator and as soon as the car moves smoothly, stop and do it again. Keep doing it until you've got it nailed. In a very short space of time you will move off in one smooth movement like prodigal_son suggests.

end edit:

The important thing to ensure a smooth take-off is practice. It can't be emphasized enough. It doesn't take long. Listen to the engine and "feel" for the biting point. A few minutes each day for a few days and it's sorted. I drive an automatic and when I get into a manual I can find it tricky getting the balance right. Practice - Practice - Practice.

After a while you'll be able to drive any car. While the biting point of each engine is different, the principle obviously remains the same.

To the poster who said he / she is taking the test in a car without power steering. The simple rule is to make sure the car is always moving when turning the wheels. In fact, this is the case in any car you drive. Moving the wheels while stopped just reduces the life of your tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

J_R wrote: »
    Your driving instructor should have made it crystal clear, leaving no room whatsoever for any misunderstanding that in above situation you MUST brake first. Clutching first can be extremely dangerous.

If there is a possibility that it might be clear, on approach you slow to the speed that can negotiate the roundabout, (roughly 2nd gear if small roundabout, 3rd if large), select appropriate gear and then stop or go as situation dictates.

If you know you are going to stop then here is an extract from the Institute of advanced Motorists handbook

Are you stalling regularly or only at lights or junctions when there is pressure ??

With no pressure, after proper tuition you should not stall.

At lights, simply don't panic:). Practice where quiet, then "Do" the lights.

Nope, but perhaps in selection :)
    J R is the one to listen to. I got great help at his forum. Lots of people are guessing or giving 'buck she' advice, he knows the correct way

Advertisement