Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is Intercompany?

• 10-07-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I am drawing a blank on this at the moment.

Can someone define the critea for two companies to have Intercompany transactions.

I keep thinking Related Parties for some reason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

kluivert wrote: »
    I am drawing a blank on this at the moment.

Can someone define the critea for two companies to have Intercompany transactions.

I keep thinking Related Parties for some reason.

Intercompany is where co A has a transaction with co B - co A & B are owned by same group

Related Parties is where co A transacts with co Z (total unknown) but your sister or friend works there. So transaction could be related party if relation or friend can sway transaction - therefore transaction has to be at arms lenght i.e. appear legal at market price etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I believe Intercompany = transactions between parent and sudsidiary/associate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

LouOB wrote: »
    Intercompany is where co A has a transaction with co B - co A & B are owned by same group
    This is essentially what intercompany is. Large groups tend to have massive amounts of intercompany balances between the various enties for numerous reasons (funding and tax structure to name a couple). All intercompany balances will be eliminated on the consolidation of the group.

Intercompany transactions are ALSO classed as related party transactions at an individual company level but not all related party transactions are intercompany.

The other big source of intercompany transactions in a company is when the subsidiary buys goods from its parent to resell to a third party. If this wasn't counted as an intercompany transaction and not eliminated on consolidation the revenue (and COS) would be counted twice: first when the parent sells to the sub, then from the sub to the external customer when from the group's point of view the only real economic transaction is the sale to the third party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

intercompany trasnaction
    the transaction is between two companies in the same umbrella organisation- eg connected companies, parent-subsidiary

Related Parties
    Related parties is generall used in legal commentary to describe the relationship of someone who has an invested interest in the transaction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement