Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird problem with utv

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

Ive been with utv for a year, everything was fine besides the odd bit of down time. The last couple of days I have the weird problem where web pages are taking ages to load, thats if they load at all. My download speed is unaffected though, I can still download at the full speed. I dont have any virsues or spyware or anything like that and the signal strentgh on the wireless is at excellent as usual. Anyone else have this problem, its really doing my head in. Im not sure if its a problem on my end or utvs end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Quite possibly a DNS problem

Whatever site your trying to access , go to start,run, and type "cmd"

Then type for e.g

ping www.google.ie

C:\Documents and Settings\******>ping www.google.ie

Pinging www.l.google.com -->>>>>>>[66.249.91.103]<
    with 32 bytes of data:

After this happens you will see the IP of the site you wish to connect to

grab this ip and type it into your web browser, example http://66.249.91.103

if the site loads up straight away unlike before you no for sure its a DNS problem.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Cheers, ill try that next time it goes down, its hit and miss at the moment. I did get a DNS error on the ps3 last night though.

It went down again there now and I couldnt get into google using the ip address but my downloads continued as normal. I rebooted the router and its working again now for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I've noticed a similar kind of problem (am also on UTV), I thought I was imagining it untill I saw someone else post about it recently.

Not sure it is a DNS problem as I am not using UTV DNS servers, I kind of thought someone was leeching my wireless but when I switched it off I still had the same problem, namely that web pages are a lot slower to load than they used to be, even though I get max speed when running a torrent.

I wonder if UTV need to check their systems, or could this just a case of contention ratio (maybe more people on the neighbourhood are getting broadband?)

I really dont know if its a problem with utv or on my end. At times pages wont load at all and my downloads are bursting away. Next doors eircom is working fine, my housemate is leeching off their connection for the last couple of days.
    Ive upgraded the firmware on the router so im hoping that might have solved it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It was suggested ages on the UTV Newsgroup to avoid using UTVs DNS Servers, and they gave an alternative server to use instead.

Ive got some alternative dns servers now, im not exactly sure where to enter them though.
    My setup is a wired router fed into a wireless router, I have the wireless wan ip set as dmz on the wired router so that I can use the wireless router to open ports.
    Am I right in thinking that I put the dns server addresses into the wired router, ye? Then set the preferred dns server in the tcp/ip settings to the ip address of the wireless router?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

nuxxx wrote: »
    Quite possibly a DNS problem

Whatever site your trying to access , go to start,run, and type "cmd"

Then type for e.g

ping www.google.ie

C:\Documents and Settings\******>ping www.google.ie

Pinging www.l.google.com -->>>>>>>[66.249.91.103]<
    with 32 bytes of data:

After this happens you will see the IP of the site you wish to connect to

grab this ip and type it into your web browser, example http://66.249.91.103

if the site loads up straight away unlike before you no for sure its a DNS problem.

Hope this helps.

Oh crap...I do above and web page loads up really really quick compared to what google.ie would normally. What are the alternative DNS servers?

I'm using these dns servers...
    Driver: PPPoE
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Set up type: LLC
    DNS Servers (server assigned):
    Primary: 194.46.192.141
    Secondary: 194.46.192.142

I've tried these proxy servers but can't get a connection at all (explorer/firefox usually using auto detect proxy server)...

cache.utvinternet.com Port 80
    ni-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80
    ie-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80

To key this into Internet Explorer follow these instructions...

* Within Internet Explorer, select TOOLS and INTERNET OPTIONS.
    * Click on the tab CONNECTION.
    * Select your UTV Internet connection
    * Click on SETTINGS.
    * Simply type in our Proxy Server details along with the port number.
    * Press APPLY, then OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

OpenDNS are very reliable. They do insert advertising if you enter an unrecognised address though.

They also provide instructions on how to enter them:https://www.opendns.com/start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Onikage wrote: »
    OpenDNS are very reliable. They do insert advertising if you enter an unrecognised address though.

They also provide instructions on how to enter them:https://www.opendns.com/start
    This has sped up my browsing immensely.
    WHat do you mean by an unrecognised address, one thats inactive or something else ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Thank you very much sir. First impressions...seems to have made quite a difference! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Yup, unregistered addresses or occassionally addresses that don't have the dns records set correctly for shortcuts
    e.g. boards.ie vs www.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Yup, unregistered addresses or occassionally addresses that don't have the dns records set correctly for shortcuts
    e.g. boards.ie vs www.boards.ie
    Ah I know what what you mean, 404 errors and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

I'm using openDNS and have the same problems the last week or so. Speedtest.net says i'm getting 2500kb/s for a 3mb line. I've been thinking of switching to UPC for a while, this might be the push i need

Advertisement