Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic Convertor

Options
  • 10-07-2008 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Engine Management light has been shining like a beacon since last weekend, got the mechanic to check it out and I've been told its a problem with the catalytic convertor and it will cost around €600...can I not get it done for cheaper? I asked the mechanic and he (obviously) said No! But I reckon there may be a workaround. NCT is coming up in August though so I still have some time to get this sorted.

Car is a 01 VW Passat 2.0L Petrol

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 michael.oleary

There is a Exhaust Centre in Dundalk, near the Texaco garage (there are two of them) I'm not sure how close that is to you, but I remember a friend of mine got an "After Market Part" for 200 yoyo that included labour and part, it might be worth checking out. I've heard no complaints since he got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I got a bosal front section for a golf 1.9tdi for 220 in Fast Fit in Santry and you get a 1yr warranty.

There is also an online parts supplier for exhausts in ireland, JHMEG posted it here not so long ago but it was only 40quid less for the golf and you had to fit it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

was quoted €400 for parts and labour on my 1.9tdi passat, also a 01.

Got it from www.cat-direct.ie for €200.28 and fitted it myself.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055298392

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Scrap metal including the rodium in cats is at an all time high make sure you get the old cat back and take a drive down to hammond lane in rings end and they will buy the old cat from you . I heard even worn out ones are worth up to € 50 it may take the sting out of it for you .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I know someone who put 2 new but non original catalytic convertors into a Camry.

Both lasted less than 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 michael.oleary

Big Tone wrote: »
    Engine Management light has been shining like a beacon since last weekend, got the mechanic to check it out and I've been told its a problem with the catalytic convertor and it will cost around €600...can I not get it done for cheaper? I asked the mechanic and he (obviously) said No! But I reckon there may be a workaround. NCT is coming up in August though so I still have some time to get this sorted.

Car is a 01 VW Passat 2.0L Petrol

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just rang for a quote €250 one year warranty. Number is 042 933 8312 if you are interested. (I haven't tried these myself, but as I mention a friend tried them and hasn't had any problems). Best of luck with it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm in Cork so travelling to Dundalk is out for me.

For cat-direct I had to register before they would let me look up anything! I registered but have not even had as much as an auto-reply email from them.

Scrap metal including the rodium in cats is at an all time high make sure you get the old cat back and take a drive down to hammond lane in rings end and they will buy the old cat from you . I heard even worn out ones are worth up to € 50 it may take the sting out of it for you .

Where's that? I have 2 at home. 1 from my passat and 1 from my first clio.

Advertisement