Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxation of refer a friend

• 10-07-2008 11:57am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,
    Company I work for are starting a refer a friend scheme for staff. To me, it is gift from the Company to the individual as it has no relevance to their day job but it could also be considered a bonus. Does anyone have experience of the correct taxation treatment of the gift. We are looking to pay between 500 and 1000 so the 250 limit does not apply.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

While not looking up the relevant legislation, I'm fairly sure it falls under Schedule E as a bonus and is taxed along with your regular income.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭douglastubbs

Hi,
    Thanks already done that and revenue website but nothing specific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Well, never mind about the legislation.

It is definitely taxed as income along with your normal wages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

renumeration for services in schedule E pecuniaries is drafted very widely. This is a Schedule E employment income.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭douglastubbs

Thanks all for the advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement