Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking bike on Ryanair

Options
  • 10-07-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

I'm heading away on a two week family holiday at the weekend and bringing my mountain bike, flying on Ryanair ex-Cork. In the last week, I've amended the booking to include carriage of my bike (€30 each way!). Going through the terms and conditions and I see no reference anywhere to having to box the bike, remove the pedals, or anything like that. Am I missing something?

(Oh, and do I really have to clean off all that hard-earned Ballyhoura muck before they'll take it?!?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I've taken bikes three times recently on ryanair and all I've done is remove the pedals, put the handlebars in line with the frame and taped cardboard to size on the forks and frame, I've never had a problem bringing a bike this way. If you have an expensive bike you might put it in a bike box for your own peace of mind. Enjoy the holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've only flown with them from Dublin but they took the bike as is with nothing whatsoever done to it. (I lowered the saddle IIRC.)

Bear in mind that it is more to do with the airport regulations than the airline so Cork and wherever you are flying back from may have different regulations. No harm to make sure you can get the pedals off just in case (if they are well greased you should be able to get them off with an allen key.)

If it's filthy I'd clean the bike, a dirty bike is asking for them to invent a "must be boxed" regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

I don't think you have to box your bike really but it depends how much you care about your bike. I am flying with Ryanair next week and I have a bike bag and I will turn the handle bars, take the wheels of and put them in separately and then put pipe cladding over the frame and wrap my clothes round most of it.

They could drop kick your bike across the run way and they are not responsible as that is what you agree to when you fly with over sized luggage.

Oh and also make sure it is covered under travel insurance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

ollietrex wrote: »
    Oh and also make sure it is covered under travel insurance...

Too true !

I don't want to worry you too much... BUT

This is what a boxed bike looked like after it fell off the baggage transporter at a London airport, only to be run over by a following tractor !

crunchedbike2.jpg?v=eP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

since your image is broke :)

bike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Thanks all! I hadn't seen that FAQ regarding the carriage of bikes. The tone seems more advisory than mandatory, even if they do use the word 'must'.

I've just loosened the pedals and I'll have the multi-tool with me at the airport to turn the bars through 90 if necessary. I might unbolt the rear mech too and tape it to the chainstay, just in case it gets a knock. And yeah, it's probably a good idea to lose the Ballyhoura muck!

Hey one other question... I use gas rather than a pump for punctures and Ryanair's FAQ about prohibited check in items only mentions restrictions on flammbable gases. CO2, as we all remember from school chemistry, is fairly inert. Anyone know what the deal is there? Will my cannisters be allowed?

Thanks for fixing the image Cabaal... This new fangled inter-web has me befuddled ! :o

Being presented with a bike like that at the airport would ruin a bicycle tour !

cantalach wrote: »
    Hey one other question... I use gas rather than a pump for punctures and Ryanair's FAQ about prohibited check in items only mentions restrictions on flammbable gases. CO2, as we all remember from school chemistry, is fairly inert. Anyone know what the deal is there? Will my cannisters be allowed?

Looked it up on another forum...

Civil Aviation rules specifically prohibit the carriage of pressurised gas containers of any type in your luggage.

So it's back to the auld pump and elbow grease. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

well, if i was you i would suggest you to go to a bike shop and ask them a carboard box where one of their bikes has arrived to the shop.
    It will be safer for your bike. remove wheels, and deinflate them, turn handlebar and lower the saddle.
    remove pedals too

you should be grand with that.

enjoy your trip

• Advertisement

So it's back to the auld pump and elbow grease. ;)

Dang! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

I brought a bike back from Melbourne and through Auckland, LA and Heathrow and didnt have any problems. I got it packed up in cardboard box by shop but just ask for one and do it yourself if you like.
    Take the pedals off, turn handlebars with allenkey, take front wheel off etc etc.
    Just make sure everything is packed real well.

Ohh and make sure you dont get stung for excess baggage too!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Have taken my bike with Aer Lingus a few times - would really suggest using the cardboard box as already mentioned - would go even further and place pieces of wood (the width of the box) to protect it if other cases are put on top of it in the hold. The first few times I took it without protection and it eventually cost me a back wheel.....once bitten....etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have mixed feelings about the box- if you present the bike unboxed, the baggage handlers can wheel it around and onto the plane, and they are unlikely to throw lots of luggage on top of it. I've always brought my bike on it's own and have never had major problems. There is also the problem of what you do with the box when you get there.

A boxed bike is a bloody big box and is _very_ difficult to handle. As such I worry that it will frustrate the baggage handlers and they'll take their frustration out on it; you all know how they like to hurl things around.

For my carbon bike, I reckon I would use a hard case. Soft cases may be worse than nothing I reckon. If you do box, make sure you pad/brace well. Detatching the rear derailleur is a good idea too. Just my 2c.

Yeah, I would tend to agree with blorg regarding the box. I worked as a baggage handler in my student days. When a large box comes out through the oversized baggage chute, the handlers tend to assume that whatever is contained within is well-packed and braced, and they don't tend to be especially careful with it as a result. It will be slid into the hold on its side and everything else piled on top. And btw, it doesn't matter a monkey's if you write "fragile" or "this way up" on it (in all my summers there, the only thing I ever remember being handled carefully were air freight consignments of live lobsters on their way to Paris!).

Advertisement