Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Glasses

Options
  • 10-07-2008 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

A few months ago, I bought a new pair of glasses from the optician (an ordinary optician, not a chain like Specsavers). This morning when I went to push them up on my nose, one of the arms came off it. On further examination, it turns out that it was being held on by a tiny hinge which has broken in two.

What I’m wondering is if I have any comeback from the optician for this? Am I entitled to a replacement set of frames? Or can they just repair them (even though I've my doubts as to whether these particular frames can be fixed). Or is it tough sh*t?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

I had an issue with my glasses (specifically my right lense) recently, I was told by the reputable opticians where I got them, that they were out of the 12 month guarantee period. However its transpired I need a stronger prescription so I don't mind having to get a brand new pair.

I'm presuming its a 12 month guarantee but I'm not sure if its applicable to frames as well

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A few months ago, I bought a new pair of glasses from the optician (an ordinary optician, not a chain like Specsavers). This morning when I went to push them up on my nose, one of the arms came off it. On further examination, it turns out that it was being held on by a tiny hinge which has broken in two.

What I’m wondering is if I have any comeback from the optician for this? Am I entitled to a replacement set of frames? Or can they just repair them (even though I've my doubts as to whether these particular frames can be fixed). Or is it tough sh*t?

It's a difficult one to call.

I mean, goods should be of merchantable quality. This means they should work for at least 12 months or you should be entitled to a remedy.

However, in cases like this it can be difficult that the fault did not occur because of damage caused by the customer (you). I'm not saying you did it- Glasses are fragile at the best of times- just if the optician won't do anything for you it may be difficult to prove.

You're best bet tbh is to go into the Optician and talk to them and see what they offer. If they offer nothing, speak to an owner manager and restate your case. Most reasonable establishments will offer some form of remedy to retain your custom.

If they are being completely stand offish, go to the small claims court. It's cheap and I hear if the shop is not being helpful this stands to your favour. I'm no legal expert though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Why don't you just go and find out ? Opticians are generally fine and they rely on repeat business, I don't think I've ever had to pay for a repair on a pair of glasses I've damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

From my own experience most opticians are pretty good about issues.

They generally realise that if a person needs glasses they're going to be coming back to them every year or two for new ones and contact lenses etc. so treating them well is generally a better option for them.

I'd suggest going in an talking to them. Whilst they may not give you a replacement they will probably repair them for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just go to the opticians and see what they have to say. I alway found mine easy to deal with it anything went wrong. See what they say and then ask for opinion if you need to go further with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

when you sat the hinge broke in two could it be a case that the screw just popped out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

SDooM wrote: »
    I mean, goods should be of merchantable quality. This means they should work for at least 12 months or you should be entitled to a remedy.
    Merchantable quality is not limited to 12 months. Not sure where you got that from. The goods should last the length of time that is to be reasonably expected (price and intended use is taken into account).

If you have not abused the glasses in any way then you are entitled to get them repaired or replaced. It would be fair to let them try and repair them first and if they cannot do that or if it breaks again (repairs are supposed to be permanent) then demand a replacement. Be reasonable at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There are some badly designed hinges that don't last too long, even on the expensive stuff. I was given a couple of pairs by my daughter, an optician. The hinges were all in bits within a couple of months, during which time she discovered that many of her colleagues had also been having problems with the same frames. Take them back, they might be the same crap design that I had. ("Oliver Goldsmith" was the name on the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

I'd just go back (calmly!) and ask what their position is. I've found optitians very helpful, even with glasses that aren't from their shop!

That said, with specsavers, I was going through frames at a rate of 3 or 4 a year. I stopped going there, and bought the most expensive titanium frames I could get at my local optitians three years ago, and they're still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rotti Express

Thanks everyone for your advice. I went back to the optician's today and they repaired the glasses on the spot free of charge. The side on my glasses couldn't be repaired so they got a new one for it by taking one off an identical pair that they had on display. Fingers crossed.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i dropped my mother's glasses into vision express to have one of the arms fixed. she didn't buy them there and they didn't ask for a receipt. they just told me to come back in a few minutes.

i came back and reached for my wallet but they said there was no charge. they just asked me to make a donation to a blindness charity box that was on the counter. very nice of them

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

axer wrote: »
    Merchantable quality is not limited to 12 months. Not sure where you got that from. The goods should last the length of time that is to be reasonably expected (price and intended use is taken into account).

Good point actually,Im not sure where it comes from. However it seemed to be the law for every shop I ever worked in with every item. Will investigate further!
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I went back to the optician's today and they repaired the glasses on the spot free of charge. The side on my glasses couldn't be repaired so they got a new one for it by taking one off an identical pair that they had on display. Fingers crossed.....

What good service!

Advertisement