Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand, Cambodia, Laos - Will we have enough time?

• 10-07-2008 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, I know there are a lot of SE Asia threads. Read through a good few of them. Basically myself and a few friends are thinking of a whirlwind tour of Cambodia and Laos, with more time spent in Thailand. This is what we're thinking of:

3 weeks:

Day 1 - Arrive Bangkok, head straight to Pnom Phen
    Day 2 - Pnom Phen
    Day 3 - Angor Wat
    Day 4 - Angor Wat
    Day 5 - Vientiane
    Day 6 - Travelling to Chang Mai
    Day 7 - Chang Mai
    Day 8 - Meet other people arriving in Bangkok
    Day 8-20 - Koh Phangan/Koh Phi Phi
    Day 21 - Back to Bangkok and Home

Any suggestions? Unrealistic?:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Madness imo. I'm not sure where to start really.

There's no point in going to Laos purely to see Vientiane and why bother staying in Bangkok for only one day if you're heading to Phnom Penh straight away (or are you just transferring there?)? If you only have three weeks then I think you should just go to Thailand. Laos (and probably Cambodia; haven't been there) would also be a great experience but given that you don't have much time I think you'll get the most out of Thailand (better transport infrastructure). Your present itinerary looks extremely stressful and unenjoyable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Craziness ! Unless you are one of these travellers who likes to collect passport stamps then in no way attempt this. Why bother going all the way to Chaing Mai for one day? What would be the point to travel all that distance, be tired after it and then come all the way back?Sounds like punishment to me and thats not what you go on holidays for.

I'd say knock Laos on the head, travel there can be very slow and will eat up days and days. If you are only going to Phnom Penh to get to Angkor then why not consider flying BKK to Siem Reap return, plenty of low cost airlines plying this route.

Better to have more time in Thailand where getting from A to B is easier and more efficient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Knock off either Loas or Cambodia.

IMO go Bangkok Fly-> Angor wat.
    Fly to Chang mai and stay a day or 2.
    Then go south to the beaches.

Fly all the legs. You will kill yourself on the bus if you try that list above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

jank wrote: »

This sounds about right. You're going to have to fly to all your destinations even if you leave out Vientiane (which I would anyway) or maybe just stick to either the eastern islands (phi phi, phuket, lanta) or the western ones (samui, pha ngan, tao).

Also, imo it's a travesty to fly the whole way to Thailand and only spend a few hours in Bangkok. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

jank wrote: »

Yes, defo make the trip to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat. get in and get out. 3/4 days is enough. Spend a 3/4 days in Chang Mai and then do what you like on the islands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

doable but tiring. just did, chiang mai, siem reap, koh phangan and hong kong in 3 wks. looking back would defo spend more time on the islands, i was only there like 6 days and would skip hong kong, not my idea of a holiday. chiang mai was great, could easily spend weeks there again. siem reap was cool but after a few days the temples got boring (i know but it just became a blur).

Advertisement