Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

penalty for disqualification

Options
  • 10-07-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

In the Uk if you get 6 points within your first yr of holding your full license you are disqualified from driving. Is it the same in ireland?? I'm just curious..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not that I know of. The UK has always been mean to learner drivers, It is only catching on in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Is there a link anywhere for a full list of conditions before someone can be done for speeding? For example condition I know is that if a particular stretch of road has only one speed limit sign per 3 or 4 km( not sure exactly) you cannot be done for speeding due to poor sign posting.
    I'm doing research for my friend and cannot find any in dept detail online other then standard stuff.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No lower points level for newer drivers

I'm almost certian you're thinking of UK laws for the frequency of signage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

mondeo wrote: »
    For example condition I know is that if a particular stretch of road has only one speed limit sign per 3 or 4 km( not sure exactly) you cannot be done for speeding due to poor sign posting.

Never heard that one before and couldn't see it standing up in a District Court.

Speed limit signs are only put up where either two roads meet (junctions of major and minor roads) or the actual speed limit changes, as far as I know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is there a link anywhere for a full list of conditions before someone can be done for speeding? For example condition I know is that if a particular stretch of road has only one speed limit sign per 3 or 4 km( not sure exactly) you cannot be done for speeding due to poor sign posting.
    I'm doing research for my friend and cannot find any in dept detail online other then standard stuff.

Cheers

Speeding offence covered by:
    Road Traffic Act 2004
    47.—(1) A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle at a speed exceeding the speed limit—

(a) that applies in respect of that vehicle, or

(b) that applies to the road on which the vehicle is being driven where that speed limit is lower than that applying to that vehicle.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

(3) In this section “speed limit” means a limit which is—

(a) an ordinary speed limit,

(b) the built-up area speed limit,

(c) the regional and local roads speed limit,

(d) the national roads speed limit,

(e) the motorway speed limit,

(f) a special speed limit, or

(g) a road works speed limit.”.

Any dispensating conditions would be up to a judge to apply, there is no legislation covering what you're asking.

• Advertisement

Where do other people get their in dept info from? From their solicitors whilst fight technicalities on the road traffic act??

My friend says he was driving on the N81 this morning at 10am whilst on his way to templeouge and met a gatso van parked passed the tallaght village turnoff from the N81. The n81 bends around and the van was parked there before a roundabout. Approx 100m passed the van was a 60kmh sign just before coming to the roundabout. On the opposite side of the dual carriagway there is a shell garage. I know exactly what he is on about. It's a blind spot but as far as I know that road is an 80kmh before coming to that 60 sign. He is thinking maybe the garda may be zapping people in the 80 zone and claiming that they were in the 60 zone.... He was doing 68 when meeting the van and thinks he may get screwed for it. I'm sure he wont but you would never know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The technicalities you heard about are normally when a guard doesn't follow proper procedure regarding issuing the summons, i.e. fills out a form wrong / puts wrong date on the summons / stuff like that.
    On the other hand, if you go to court and can prove for example that you didn't know that the speed limit had gone from say 80 to 50 because the speed limit sign was obscured by a tree or had been vandalised then I'm sure the judge would take it into consideration. There are no rules as such, it's up to the judge on the day.
    He is thinking maybe the garda may be zapping people in the 80 zone and claiming that they were in the 60 zone....

I would very much doubt that that is true. Why would a guard risk his career and possibly be convicted for (fraud? / malpractice? dunno) something just to catch a few speeders. I know some speed traps are sneaky - they're not illegal.

SteveC wrote: »
    The technicalities you heard about are normally when a guard doesn't follow proper procedure regarding issuing the summons, i.e. fills out a form wrong / puts wrong date on the summons / stuff like that.
    On the other hand, if you go to court and can prove for example that you didn't know that the speed limit had gone from say 80 to 50 because the speed limit sign was obscured by a tree or had been vandalised then I'm sure the judge would take it into consideration. There are no rules as such, it's up to the judge on the day.

I would very much doubt that that is true. Why would a guard risk his career and possibly be convicted for (fraud? / malpractice? dunno) something just to catch a few speeders. I know some speed traps are sneaky - they're not illegal.

Yes your right

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For example condition I know is that if a particular stretch of road has only one speed limit sign per 3 or 4 km( not sure exactly) you cannot be done for speeding due to poor sign posting.
    You are presumed to have local knowledge.

Victor wrote: »
    You are presumed to have local knowledge.

Surely that's not true. Do you have local knowledge of every speed limit on every road in the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only on the roads you use. :) The last sign you passed is a hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Surely that's not true. Do you have local knowledge of every speed limit on every road in the country?

certain types of roads have max limits - you are expected to know these

kida wrote: »
    certain types of roads have max limits - you are expected to know these

That is true.
    I fail to see how countrywide regulations qualify as 'local knowledge' though. There are plenty of local exceptions to the 'speed limit by road type' regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Where do other people get their in dept info from? From their solicitors whilst fight technicalities on the road traffic act??

My friend says he was driving on the N81 this morning at 10am whilst on his way to templeouge and met a gatso van parked passed the tallaght village turnoff from the N81. The n81 bends around and the van was parked there before a roundabout. Approx 100m passed the van was a 60kmh sign just before coming to the roundabout. On the opposite side of the dual carriagway there is a shell garage. I know exactly what he is on about. It's a blind spot but as far as I know that road is an 80kmh before coming to that 60 sign. He is thinking maybe the garda may be zapping people in the 80 zone and claiming that they were in the 60 zone.... He was doing 68 when meeting the van and thinks he may get screwed for it. I'm sure he wont but you would never know.

It's a popular spot with the gardai - they use it at the weekend for early morning alcohol tests too.

Travelling towards Templeogue it is 60kph, and in the other direction (where the garage is) it's 80kph. But there is a paucity of signage on the inbound side, I think a sign went missing when the footbridge just past Old Bawn got replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

There are plenty of local exceptions to the 'speed limit by road type' regulations.

Couldn't agree with you more, the road between Rathoath and Kilbride in Meath is a fairly typical example.

This road had an 80KPH limit until recently, and is now a 50KPH limit even thought all the minor roads (some with grass growing up the middle) that join it are 80KPH limits. The new signs are tiny and nobody seems to obey the new limit anyway.

Advertisement