Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapidshare download speeds with NTL

Options
  • 10-07-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I have a 20Mb NTL connection. I use Rapidshare to download demos and freeware as it's very fast.
    Anyway the max download speed I'm getting is 2mb/s. Is this acceptable for a 20mb connection? If not, what can I do to increase it.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The max download speed you can get from a 20mb connection is 2.2MB/s so 2MB/s is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 thebromeliad

feylya wrote: »
    The max download speed you can get from a 20mb connection is 2.2MB/s so 2MB/s is good.
    Cheers.
    Do you know why that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

feylya wrote: »

i dont think thats true.

i had my 12mb line and i was downloading at over 3 or 4mb/s all the time with rapidshare.
    im getting my line installed in my new house tomorrow morning and hopefully it will be 20mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Broadband speeds are advertised as Megabits per second, not Megabytes - i.e. 20Mb, not 20MB.

To get the actual downstream speed per second, you need to divide the advertised speed number (20) by 8. So, on a 20Mb connection, the maximum actual download speed you'll get from a website is 2.5MB.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

i dont think thats true.

i had my 12mb line and i was downloading at over 3 or 4mb/s all the time with rapidshare.
    im getting my line installed in my new house tomorrow morning and hopefully it will be 20mb.

On a 12 megabit line, you could not get more than 1.5 megabytes a second. More likely to get 1.1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

-annex- wrote: »
    Broadband speeds are advertised as Megabits per second, not Megabytes - i.e. 20Mb, not 20MB.

To get the actual downstream speed per second, you need to divide the advertised speed number (20) by 8. So, on a 20Mb connection, the maximum actual download speed you'll get from a website is 2.5MB.

Agreed....
    Broadband speeds are advertised at Megabits (Mb) per seconds whereas your downloads are displayed at MegaBytes (MB) per second....easiest way to work it out is multiply the speed your download is displaying by 8 and that will tell you the Mb speed.
    The max speed you will download at most of the time will be 3/4 of the speed of your broadband package....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 thebromeliad

neacy69 wrote: »
    Agreed....
    Broadband speeds are advertised at Megabits (Mb) per seconds whereas your downloads are displayed at MegaBytes (MB) per second....easiest way to work it out is multiply the speed your download is displaying by 8 and that will tell you the Mb speed.
    The max speed you will download at most of the time will be 3/4 of the speed of your broadband package....
    Thanks for the info. I never realised that!
    I commonly get slightly over 2Mb/s so I'm not sure if the 3/4 rule is true.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Thanks for the info. I never realised that!
    I commonly get slightly over 2Mb/s so I'm not sure if the 3/4 rule is true.:confused:

I said that because most people assume that because they are on a 20Mb package mean they will get 20Mb all the time but packages are normally described as up to 20Mb, up to 10Mb, up to 2Mb etc
    so your actual connection speed will vary...for example in your case you may get 19Mb at off-peak times and you may only 15Mb at peak times or as in example you may get 2MBs or slightly over which works out at 16-17MBs.....

Advertisement