Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista error

• 10-07-2008 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right subforum, apologies if it's in the wrong place mods.

I've got Vista on my laptop, not too many problems with it, until this morning and this looks a big one :mad: Basically, when i turned off my laptop last night it was on the "Windows has detected Updates ready ....." popup, usually i reboot and they install themselves. I booted it up about an hour ago, then this sequence of events:

1. Error message: Update not installed properly.
    2. >>> i log on, no desktop items , just a black screen with "Windows Vista (TM), Build 6000, This Copy of Windows is not genuine" in the bottom right corner.
    3. Popup box "The Windows Vista Home Premium key you typed is invalid for activation".

I can get on the internet by clicking the "Access your computer with reduced functionality" option and then clicking on Microsoft support to open Firefox.

I've no idea what's going on at all. Obviously Vista came with the machine already installed and i've never had this problem before. I'm pretty much a tech n00b but i've been scouring the FAQs and troubleshooter on the Vista support site and cant see anything helpful. Although microsoft online support very helpfully offer to answer my question for €72. I know where they can shove their 72 quid!!!!

Any ideas on where to start other than contacting the manufacturer/throwing laptop out the window?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Can you run in safe mode? And maybe restore the system point before the updates were installed...

Press F8 repeatedly after the BIOS screen on the laptop, should give you a list of options like this:

Choose Advanced Options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
    Please select an option:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with bla bla bla

Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)

Start Windows Normally

Run in safe mode, see if it'll run. Otherwise try the Last Known Good Configuration. Try not to change anything your unsure of either!! :D
    If all the above fail try deleting all files\folders in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Apparently it has been happening for a while and there was an update released back in January(??) to fix it but obviously in your case it didn't work.

There is a microsoft KB article which can be read at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931573 .

Failing that you'll probably need to ring microsoft.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

where did you get your laptop exactly? Hong Kong?

Advertisement