Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Camera Club - Talks & Events

• 10-07-2008 1:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Some on here recently attended the Dublin Camera Club when Guy Gowan was giving a presentation. We hope to have Guy back again later in the year.

In the meantime there are some other interesting talks coming up. We invite Visitors to attend for a meeting or two as a guest (the Guy Gowan talk was a good evening to take advantage of that) Dates in Bold are talks I am looking forward to personally.

July

15th J Charnock, FRPS from Richmond and Twinckenham Camera Club

22nd Flash Photography with Ciaran Whyte from Celbridge Camera Club

29th Landscape Photography with Peter Gordon

August

12th Forensic Photography. Garda Technical Personnel

19th Sean Kennedy Photography

26th Food Photography with David Cantwell and Sally Dunne

September

2nd Underwater Photography with Nigel Motyer

23rd Inspirational Art with Ed Dunne

30th "India" with Gerry Kerr from Celbridge Camera Club

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 OVP

Anyone can attend?
    is it on 10 Lower Camden Street?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

OVP wrote: »
    Anyone can attend?
    is it on 10 Lower Camden Street?

It is at 10 Lower Camden St. Meetings start at 8pm.

Anyone can attend as a Guest for one or two meetings. Ask after the talk & you will be shown around the premises. There are two Wet Darkrooms, a "Digital Darkroom", Library & a fully equipped Studio. If you like what you see & get something from the talks then you are welcome to join up on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I joined not too long ago and have seen some really interesting talks (not that there isn't the odd dodgy one) and I'd reccommend it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just a reminder that next Tuesday we have Flash Photography with Ciaran Whyte.

I hear that he knows his stuff, so if you have questions about using Flash then come along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

I have it in the diary.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Are all the meetings on Tuesdays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Yeah Tuesday is a killer here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

anyone heading to the flash talk tonight?

Would love to go having bought the 430EX II yesterday and looking at the manual that came with it! :eek:
    No way of getting of work.

I'll be there. I'm looking forward to the flash talk .

• Advertisement

I'll be going along myself. The only things I know about using flash are some stupid hints and tips I picked up from a pesky student**... (he should get a job)

** I'll be banned for that.. AGAIN.. :D:D:D

mrmac wrote: »
    Are all the meetings on Tuesdays?

Yes - Tuesday is the meeting night.

I learned a few things from Ciaran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

If you are a member of another club can you join as an associate member or anything?

No.

Associate Memberships are those given to people who are enrolled in classes who are not members already.

Which club are you a member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

Dunamaise (Portlaoise)

If you want to come along to the talks as a visitor I am sure there will not be a problem.

Next Tuesday is Landscape Photography with Peter Gordon.

You can have a look at some of Peter's work at explorelight.com

I met Peter earlier this year when he was a Judge for Photo 2008. A very nice guy & I am looking forward to seeing this talk.

I went along last night and thouroughly enjoyed Ciarans talk. He had a model with him to help demonstrate the effects of flash. His talk gave new 'light' to properly exposing and lighting up people. Although a SB600/800 is on my list of goodies, his talk has helped to bring it up the list after I get my macro lens. :D

For those of us who would like to do portraits of street people (but hadn't got the balls to ask), he gave me confidence and the tools to take the task to hand. I'm looking forward to getting onto the street with the camera - so look out :D

Glad you enjoyed the evening Buzz.

Next time come up & say hello. :)

Would loved to have went to last nights.
    youtube? :p

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    Next time come up & say hello. :)

Hope to be there on tuesday if I don't end up in Galway. I'd like to be in on the landscape talk. I'll give you a shout if I'm heading.

Cheers

Anyone coming to the Landscape talk tonight?

If so come up & say Hello after the meeting.

Good talk tonite from Peter Gordon about landscape. He described the importance of light when taking landscape pictures and how to make the use of side light (lsunlight lighting across the landscape creating shadows) and grad filters.

I heard your acent behind me a few seats back, but I was talking to Calina's work mate at the time. If your there next tuesday - say 'ello ;)

I was wondering if anyone was there tonight. Could not resist making a quip about the Xmas Tree.

I dunno, I felt sorry for the poor dog. Surrounded by 30 men in white coats with 3 legged sticks - poor chap was probably scared sh*tless to move :D

As for the christmas tree ......

We have the Ryder Cup on tonight. Not a Golf Tournament but along distantly similar lines.

Members that want to participate bring in some prints each. They are then split into two teams & one of the Advanced members is chosen as Captain. The Prints are put up, sometimes on a theme, & an independent Judge then selects one & it's scored.

Not a serious competition, just a bit of fun.

Good to finally meet you last week Buzz & welcome aboard.

This Tuesday should be CSI Dublin. We hope to have a Forensic Photographer from the Garda Technical Branch (unless there is an emergency call out) telling us how they approach photographing crime scenes for evidence. It should be interesting in a technical sense as well as some different subject matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I heard your acent behind me a few seats back, but I was talking to Calina's work mate at the time. If your there next tuesday - say 'ello ;)

Ah.

so it was you? I was trying to figure it out when he told me he'd been talking to a boardsie.

Calina wrote: »
    Ah.

so it was you? I was trying to figure it out when he told me he'd been talking to a boardsie.

It just goes to show how small a place county Ireland is ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone coming along to CSI Dublin tonight?

If you are there, come & say hello.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Anyone coming along to CSI Dublin tonight?

If you are there, come & say hello.

And miss the opertunity to see Gill Grissom, Nick Stokes and Cathrine Willows of CSI fame.

ok, it may not be the TV stars but it should be the Irish equivalent. Tonight it is Forensic Photography. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

If it stops feckin raining for two minutes I'll be in tonight. 10 lr Camden street - is that near the old Comhlamh offices?

sineadw wrote: »
    If it stops feckin raining for two minutes I'll be in tonight. 10 lr Camden street - is that near the old Comhlamh offices?

Not sure what offices you're talking about but the DCC is on the same side as Flannerys and just past Flannerys if you were walking towards Anseo, Cassidys, The Bleeding Horse.
    Better to give directions in pubs :)

It's a few doors up from Montague St.

Almost opposite the Camden Deluxe.

The Red marks the spot on the Attached Map

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Well that was less helpful then I had hoped...

• Advertisement

Not that technical, but great fun :D I had to rush off as it wound up so late last night so I didn't get a chance to have a look around. I'm aiming to get in Saturday afternoon though. I'm assuming there'll be someone there to show people around? If not then I'll try to get into the next talk...

And thanks!

sineadw wrote: »
    Not that technical, but great fun :D I had to rush off as it wound up so late last night so I didn't get a chance to have a look around. I'm aiming to get in Saturday afternoon though. I'm assuming there'll be someone there to show people around? If not then I'll try to get into the next talk...

And thanks!

Sorry about the Technical Difficulties. The Club laptop was left at home & so we made a quick dash to get another one, but it also had issues. The Speaker was also a bit late arriving.

I was expecting the talk to be a lot more technical & serious, but was quite pleased with the way it turned out. Lot's of amusing anticdotes & information not to leave the room ;)

On Saturday there should be someone doing Gallery Duty but it they may not be able to show you around the building. I also had to rush off so did not get to meet you. Next meeting should be a bit shorter. Glad you enjoyed the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

is there a cost to joining? is it open to beginners?

is there a cost to joining? is it open to beginners?

DCC is open to Beginners. One of the main reasons the club exists is to help people develop their photography.

The cost to join is €90 per year with a €5 joining fee.

If you are a Beginner then you may be interested in the Beginner's Classes which are enrolling now. They cost €100 for a 10 week course & for an aditional €35 you can get one year's membership.

If you are interested then come along at 8pm on a Tuesday night as a visitor.

Next Tuesday we have Sally Dunne & David Cantwell doing Food Photography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Do they have mid-level to advanced classes starting soon? I looked on the site but cant see.

• Advertisement

shepthedog wrote: »
    Do they have mid-level to advanced classes starting soon? I looked on the site but cant see.

The courses after the Beginners tend to be more specific.

The one's which are run regularly are Studio & Darkroom courses.

There are Workshops run on Monday evenings for more specific interests.

What were you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Looking forward to the Food Photography event next week!

Just heard that the Food Photography talk will have to be postponed.

I will advise what we have instead.

Shhheeeetttt, was looking forward to that for ages!

I hope that the Food Photography talk will be rescheduled for sometime soon.

The problem with late cancellations is trying to find a replacement at short notice. We have not been able to do so.

With kind permission from Guy Gowan we will be screening some of his DVD's tonight. So if you want to have a look at his techniques again then drop in. The DVD's will also be on sale.

I will not be there myself tonight either so may catch up with some of you at People's Photography this weekend.

Just as well that it has been postphoned as will be chasing kenny egan around West Dublin all Evening!

Tonight we have Underwater Photography with Nigel Motyer, which should be a good talk.

It will be a busy night as RTE are doing some filming at the Club before the meeting & it's also submission night for the Summer Competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Best of luck tonight :)

Ended up doing a rush job on the mounts and selection of the digital images :( Why does everything turn out last minute for me? I might be able to stay for the talk after all though :)

It should be a good talk. I can assist you in the entry process (ohh arrrr missus!) for the competition. It's not that hard but easier if you are shown how.

• Advertisement
Advertisement