Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New architecture course DIT

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Hi RKQ, I agree with you. I applied for a post-grad in Trinity last year. Because i only had my Dip. Arch. Tech i had to sit an interview. Made to feel second class due to my qualification (shame on the Institutes) even though you hold your own with all the other professions in the construction industry. Offered the course however once they understood the quality of the experience etc. However, it is wrong that we are treated that way. I hope that thing are changing :confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just a quickie: The word "mate" has been used in a couple of posts and I for one can find that a bit derogatory depending on the context in which it is posted.

Just post as adults and leave these words out of the posts please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RKQ wrote: »
    True for Employers, but not Univercities.
    If you are transfering Courses or continuing your studies, your Degree grade will mattter.

Give it a try. Apply for Part 2 in the UK and see if it your grade matters.
    (I'd love to be wrong mate!)
    But thats not the point;
    Nobody said you can get into course with any degree, level doesn't matter. They said that it is the content that matters not the title. Thats why, with an ordinary degree in ROI, (part 1) you can get into a part 2 two in the UK. You can't with all UK ordinary degrees, as the content is not the same (yet title is)

Ultimatly, its the content that matters, not the title. In a closed education system, they should all be the same. But internationally they aren't. (The old AT problem again).

To sum it up, as we are going in circles.
    In the UK you have a 3 year honours degree, this is part one followed by a 2 year add-on for part 2.

In the ROI, we have a 3 year ordinary, which is part one, followed by 2 year add-on, for a hons degree, which is part two.

As short as I can make it, an Irish Ordinary degree is equal to a UK honours, not in practise, not in employers. But in universities and in the eyes of the RIBA. Same content different title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Not true Mellor.
    Mark has had problems....

ARB Exam for Equivalence to Prescribed Qualifications

"Hi,
    I've recently been accepted into a Part 2 Architecture course in the UK but in order for me to register on the course I need to sit the above exam. (I got my Part 1 from WIT. RIBA and ARB don't recognise it)

Has anyone here done this before, I could do with some advice on the analytical commentary & the exam itself. The fee (£1210) is quite steep too, has anyone had luck with writing this off on their tax return, or even had the office they work in foot the bill?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Mark"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315594

This is my final word on this tread as we seem to have gone off the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RKQ wrote: »
    Not true Mellor.
    Mark has had problems....

ARB Exam for Equivalence to Prescribed Qualifications

"Hi,
    I've recently been accepted into a Part 2 Architecture course in the UK but in order for me to register on the course I need to sit the above exam. (I got my Part 1 from WIT. RIBA and ARB don't recognise it)

Has anyone here done this before, I could do with some advice on the analytical commentary & the exam itself. The fee (£1210) is quite steep too, has anyone had luck with writing this off on their tax return, or even had the office they work in foot the bill?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Mark"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315594

This is my final word on this tread as we seem to have gone off the OP

You do relise that if its not recognaised then its not a Part One don't you??

Either you knew this and tried to argue it anyway,
    or you didn't know, and Argued a point you were unsure of.:confused::confused:

Either way, I'm not arguing anymore. I think the info is there for any prospective students. Thats my main goal in these threads, make sure that the young folk don't get mis-lead

• Advertisement
Advertisement