Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass seed advice needed.

Options
  • 10-07-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

I've spent the best part of the last 2 rainy months digging my back garden and removing every visible bit of the demonic *creeping* grass that was there.

I'd like to replant sections of it with a grass that stays where you plant it!
    Semi-hard-wearing, I think would be adequate.
    The garden is part-shaded and north-facing and it's especially damp this year with the recent rains.

Any suggestions for which type of grass seed I should get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmedee

Dwarf rye/ Fescue mix. 60/40%. fescue will need semi dry ground conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

itsmedee wrote: »
    Dwarf rye/ Fescue mix. 60/40%. fescue will need semi dry ground conditions.
    Well...I certainly don't have anything close to semi-dry ground at the moment!
    Thanks for the reply, I'll be buying the grass seed in a couple of weeks time, I think.
    Is August a good month for setting grass?

One more question:
    The Dwarf rye/ Fescue mix. 60/40%, is this something that's available in most Garden Centres/DIY shops or will this have to be made up for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Rancid wrote: »
    One more question:
    The Dwarf rye/ Fescue mix. 60/40%, is this something that's available in most Garden Centres/DIY shops or will this have to be made up for me?

Go looking for a Dwarf rye/ Fescue mix. 60/40% and most diy shop workers will look at you blankly.
    Below is whats usually available to you when you go to look for lawn seed.........

Taken from the Irishgardeners.com post How to sow a lawn from grass seed in Ireland-Lawn Hints/Tips

Whats with all the different numbers on the grass seed bags, No.1. grade lawn seed mix, No.2. grade lawn seed mix , No.3. grade lawn seed mix ? Which one should I use to sow my lawn?

Choosing the right grass seed for your particular lawn usage can save you a lot of work and heartbreak.

A No.1. Lawn Seed Mix is made up of very fine grasses, think "putting green", and you are on the right track. If you want a perfect and prestine lawn and are prepared to work hard at maintaining it by never missing a mowing, fertilising or weed killing session, then this is the grass seed mix for you. However be aware, this type of lawn is unforgiving of heavy traffic and poor maintenance.

A No.2. Lawn Seed Mix is the good all-rounder, it looks well, takes a reasonable amount of wear & tear and requires just a moderate degree of maintenance.

A No.3. Lawn Seed Mix is ideal for kicking a football about on and in general it puts up with lots of abuse. However be aware, This seed mix comprises some coarse grasses which may not be as attractive to the human eye or touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i have the same questions as the op and then some, i too spent about a month clearing the existing sod from my garden with a spade and using soil i filtered trough a mesh frame from another part of the garden i leveled everything off and im nearly ready for planting. im surounded by two overgrown gardens and fileds and in the short space of time since i prepaired the garden till now i have quite a lot of weeds which ive removed. i was considering grade 2 grass and what i want to know is how will this hold up to me treating it for weeds and having to dig the odd one out.
    ps sorry for butting in on the thread:o

• Advertisement

Go looking for a Dwarf rye/ Fescue mix. 60/40% and most diy shop workers will look at you blankly.
    Link and info much appreciated.

I'd go for the No. 2 mix if I was 100% sure it wouldn't contain any *creeping* grass seed.
    Otherwise, I think it makes more sense to go all out and get the Dwarf rye/Fescue mix which is definitely non-creeping?

The type of grass I'm determined to not have...is the kind that when you pull up one thin piece of it, you find it's also rooted 4 or 5 inches away, so you pull that too, and then you find it's also rooted another 4 or 5 inches away. :mad:

Heh...I guess I'm paranoid at this stage that after the last 2 months of clearing the garden I'll go right out and buy back the same problem.:eek:

northdublin:
    Feel free to butt in, no problem!

I have no problem with weeds, I actively encourage them which seems to attract lots of birds so I'm happy with that.
    I don't and won't ever use weed-killer or pesticides and the only "fertiliser" I use is the compost I make. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

I think this is the little chap you dont want (American site, its Scutch grass here). You wont be getting this in a packet!

Lots of mixes to provide for the various requirements ( bowling green, football pitch, meadow etc ). Fine grasses for show, coarser ones for wear.

muggyog wrote: »
    I think this is the little chap you dont want (American site, its Scutch grass here). You wont be getting this in a packet!

Lots of mixes to provide for the various requirements ( bowling green, football pitch, meadow etc ). Fine grasses for show, coarser ones for wear.
    That indeed looks like the enemy!
    Good to know I won't be buying it all over again.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i was talkin to somebody today that knows a bit about grass and gardening in general and i wondered would it be ok to mix grade one and two and have the best of both worlds and he said this was possible.

i was talkin to somebody today that knows a bit about grass and gardening in general and i wondered would it be ok to mix grade one and two and have the best of both worlds and he said this was possible.
    Good idea. Mixing the seed really well though, so you don't end up with a patchy lawn.:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement