Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 silencer

Options
  • 10-07-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I picked up a secondhand parker hale silencer for €15 . What I'am wondering is would it do anything to quiten Hi-velosity rounds(I know I'll still get the sonic crack) , or would it be safe to try them through it . Also how would ye rate this silencer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It will quieten them down somwhat.But not to the point of sub sonic ammo.It will give you what is called in suppressed terminology an area of confusion.IOW Hey! That was a 22 rifle shot,but where did it come from? where as with a sub sonic 22lr."Hey ,that was a shot!No idea where it came from."You can also make it a bit quieter,by turning it into a"wet can".Spray loads of WD40 into it,it does take some more noise out of hi velocity stuff.
    If the baffles are in order and in alinement,and the coupling/threading is done right,it is safe to use with either sub or normal ammo.
    Parker H is one of the old designs,that are proably close enough to the original Maxim designs around the turn of the 20th century.If it is the all steel model,that is.So it has stood the test of time.Good deal for 15 euros:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I suppose we're not saying anything you don't know by pointing out that you need permission from the Super to have one of those, right fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

High velocity .22lr is supersonic and you can't remove the noise of the bullet
    breaking the sound barrier. As Grizzly said : if the suppressor is in good nick it will take away some of the noise of the high velocity rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

High velocity .22lr is supersonic and you can't remove the noise of the bullet
    breaking the sound barrier. As Grizzly said : if the suppressor is in good nick it will take away some of the noise of the high velocity rounds.

im glad the question was asked, i was out shooting rabbits with my .22 lr and my m8 asked me the same question and tbh i cant really understand why it cant be quietened down, ive got a .243 and it has a silencer ( like a cannon without it ) and my m8 has a swift also with a silencer, now these are high velocity rounds why cant a .22 be silenced ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Moderators will take away most of the bang produced from gasses exiting the barrel, that's what they do, that's pretty much all they do. They can't supress the noise of a projectile breaking the sound barrier. That's why subsonic rounds are available for .22lr. Moderated centrefire rifles are still pretty loud if you stand down range of them, I know moderated .223 is like an unmoderated HMR, not nice loud.

If you want a quiet .22lr then it's as simple as this, you will need to use subsonic ammunition. HV, and Hyper velocity will still make noise.

Moderated centrefires still make noise, yes they're dramatically quitened due to most of the gasses being taken care of in the mod but there's still a crack and it's still loud in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Sparks wrote: »
    I suppose we're not saying anything you don't know by pointing out that you need permission from the Super to have one of those, right fish?

Cheers sparks, I was thinking of siliencing me .223 with a T4, anybody any views on which fullbore moddy is best . On some of the lands I shoot the Farmer also breeds pedigree dogs and he says they go ballistic when they hear a shot , so is this reason enough for the super to allow a T4??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've heard the Jet z compact and the T8 in action on .223's. I thought the T8 was sloghtly quieter than the Jet z. But, I have seen a few T8's with pinhole sized holes and that put me off them. Everyone will have different experiences but that's mine, I don't own either by the way. Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

yeah I had a T8 on me 6.5 and it was great with 108 gr. lapuas for fox'n but it's som'n smaller I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cheers sparks, I was thinking of siliencing me .223 with a T4, anybody any views on which fullbore moddy is best . On some of the lands I shoot the Farmer also breeds pedigree dogs and he says they go ballistic when they hear a shot , so is this reason enough for the super to allow a T4??

Hearing protection, prevention of noise pollutions, livestock wellbeing,...all valid reasons to be included in a request for authorisation to have a moderator fitted to a rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Applied for permission for moderator for .22 10-12 weeks ago i think
    so long ago i cant remember,rang in last week and spoke to fo
    who informed me application was'nt processed,and went through
    again why i wanted it,also telling me super does not like giving permission.
    They are long fingering this one.
    Bye the way: reason: hearing:disturbing livestock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I was told by a person at the Midlands range that you "Tell the Super that you are fitting a mod to your 22 lr" and that under present conditions he will/must allow you that mod.
    Was he talking bullsh*t or is there any truth in it??

Having said that I have applied to the super for a mod for my 22 lr in a very nice way, and an increase in ammo from 100 to 2 x 500 box's.

No truth to it clive, the moderator is treated the same way as the firearm itself from the law's point of view when it comes to the yay/nay decision bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 earthmover

Japbyrne....your doing it all wrong,what you got to do is buy a parker hale silencer from your gundealer and when you get it ,inform your local cop you have got one,they cant refuse you once you have it,thats what i done and a lot of my friends have done,and its works,.
    D.

earthmover wrote: »
    Japbyrne....your doing it all wrong,what you got to do is buy a parker hale silencer from your gundealer and when you get it ,inform your local cop you have got one,they cant refuse you once you have it,thats what i done and a lot of my friends have done,and its works,.
    D.
    Not only can they refuse you, if you take possession of it first, they can charge you with breaking the Firearms Acts.
    And you've just broken the charter yourself by telling someone to break the law, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

is it true that you only need permission from the super for a moderator for centrefire rifles and not rimfire rifles?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

MRJ wrote: »
    is it true that you only need permission from the super for a moderator for centrefire rifles and not rimfire rifles?

No, you need permission from the super for any moderator.

The difference between mods for rimfire and mods for centrefire is that the centrefire ones are restricted (in the Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order, 2008 sense).

Advertisement