Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel/Middle East Visa

• 10-07-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm re-backpacking Egypt later this year (but with my girlfriend this time around!), and was also hoping to visit Jordan & Syria. I understand that Syria and Lebanon won't let you in if you've visited Israel, but I also read something about they won't let you into Syria if you used the land crossing between Egypt and Jordan at Taba/Aquaba.

Does anyone know how true this is, or have any general advice on this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

If I were you Id email the Syrian embassy in London regarding this as rules change in that part of the world frequently. You might find more up to date info from someone who has been there over on the Thorn Tree on Lonely Planets website but the Syrians have been known to change their minds on these things on a whim.
    To avoid the possibility even arising you could start the trip in Syria and finish it in Egypt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 lee_humphrey

Update:
    I've emailed the Syrian embassy, who informed me that I could use the boat crossing from Nuweiba to Aquaba without problems, but any sign of an Israeli stamp would prevent me entering Syria - hence I cannot use the land crossing at Taba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Glad to hear you got it sorted- make sure to print off a copy of that email from the Embassy just in case there is any problems at the border.

Heading to Syria myself in 2 weeks, still havent got my passport back from London, hoping it arrives quick smart:)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

FYI, I just passed through Syria about 2 months ago. If you can have your visa in advance it will make things much easier. I was told by the Syrian embassy in London that since there was no embassy in Ireland I would get the visa at the border..... Not that simple unfortunately! At the border they told me that I should have gone to London and would need to spend the night in a holding area until they spoke to superiors in Damascus. After a bit of persuasion and showing them a copy of the email from the embassy they agreed to let me in after about 4 hours. Even at that point they didn't have Ireland on their huge list of fees for various visas so I agreed to just pay the UK price (which is quite high compared to most of the others).

As for the Taba land crossing. A land crossing stamp can cause trouble but one thing that most people don't know is that there is an alternative to the Nuweiba ferry (which can be a long crowded and unpleasant trip.) There is a ferry that runs most days between Taba Heights marina and Aqaba. It's small (about 200 passengers) but fast (45 mins) and uses the taba heights marina which is further down the coast and avoids the taba land crossing.

Not sure if any of that info is of use but just my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 lee_humphrey

epgriffin... you absolute star! thanks for that info mate... much appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement