Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne trailer looks promsing

Options
  • 10-07-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I loved the Max Payne series and when i heard that it was being brought to the big screen i instantly lost all hope of it ever being decent as iv yet to see a good game to film conversion and vice a versa.

But after watching this trailer
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bh1kD66Oo8

I actually have high hopes for it they have seemed to understand the dark gritty world of Max Payne so here's hoping to the first decent game to movie film!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Haha He does the slow motion jumps and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Looks good. Mark Wahlberg though!?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Possibly the first ever game-movie ever that doesn't suck? Interesting.

• i hope its 18's or at a minimum 15's, fox keep putting low ratings on these films to draw bigger crowds...and they usually end up being pure sh*te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

I would have said quite the opposite to "promising"!

Starring such big name actors as "Ludacris" and "Nelly Furtado" it certainly looks like it keeps close to the original game - oh wait - no it doesn't!
    What on earth was the deal with those large black winged angels?

Don't even think about telling me that they're Max's metaphorical "demons"...

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    i hope its 18's or at a minimum 15's, fox keep putting low ratings on these films to draw bigger crowds...and they usually end up being pure sh*te

Oh; and...
    "The movie is PG-13," said cast member Kunis in a recent interview with ReelzChannel. "It's incredibly dark. You still get the gist of it. The only different between R-rated and PG-13 is you might not see as much blood."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Yeah looks like it will be good. /me crosses fingers and hopes :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If they wanted to keep it close to the originals it would need a dreadful plot, paper thin characters and junior cert levels of direlogue writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

JCDenton wrote: »

Well in the games he has nightmares regularly. It may be just another interpretation of that. It would certainly be better than him walking on a walkway of blood with babies constantly crying in the background!?

I certainly looks more interesting than I was expecting it to be but the violence needs to be there. Its a major part of what made the atmosphere so dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Yeah...that looks ****.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If they wanted to keep it close to the originals it would need a dreadful plot, paper thin characters and junior cert levels of direlogue writing.

And you're saying that this trailer sounds any better than that?
    "When the people a man needs are taken away from him; you can't go back to who you were before".

That sounds like a quote from any number of cheesy action films from decades past! All Oscar-winning films no doubt.

And of course - I wholeheartedly agree that the "screaming baby walkway" from the games was painful in every sense of the word - but it was less jarring than fighting angels. Imagined hallucinations or not - it doesn't fit a Max Payne film / game to me!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

All that. But in the style of Max Payne. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Max Payne is pure legend, best character in gaming bar none that I can think of, this film will rock

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Imagined hallucinations or not - it doesn't fit a Max Payne film / game to me!
    It makes perfect sense, really. The guy is loosing his nut and he's a drug addict. How is it too much of a stretch to think he might hallucinate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I wonder if they'll have any comic book style scenes, like the cutscenes in the games. Probably be slated for ripping off 24 and Sin City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

MooseJam wrote: »
    Max Payne is pure legend, best character in gaming bar none that I can think of, this film will rock

*twitch*

nah, you're jokin' right.... right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

maybe a little bit of exaggeration but he is one of my favourite characters and the games were great too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

MooseJam wrote: »
    Ah, fanboism at its most primal. Gotta love it.

Trailer looks like dirt. PG-13 is pretty much the final nail in the coffin.

I'm hopeful, but the realist in me says to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

After just seeing Mark Wahlberg in The Happening, I can say, with unflinching certainty, that his acting could not possibly get worse, which is why I have a smidgen of hope for this. Not much. I'm thinking somewhere between Super Mario Bros and StreetFighter 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

JCDenton wrote: »
    What on earth was the deal with those large black winged angels?

Could've been fear giving men wings, in a more metaphorical sense than the game ever meant:P

I'm actually really looking forward to it now, I was expecting far worse but they seem to be sticking close enough to the games to keep me happy...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I find it an odd movie to be sure & proof that movie adaptations tend not to "get" the original source material. The first game was an intentional pastiche / p*ss-take of the hardboiled, noir cop movies & the game ran with it in all it's cheesy glory. I mean c'mon, Payne himself had this permanently constipated look attempting to look dangerous. Not my cup of tea mind, but it was obvious what they were doing.

The trailer looks like they are playing it utterly straight-laced and serious. Which defeats the whole point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Yeah can offically say iam worried. More to the point when is Max Payne 3 coming out and on what formats?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm sorry but did i just read that its gonna be PG13 ? ****in idiots !

I have lost all hope for it now, pg13 wtf are they on like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It may not be too bad. The way the ratings work in the states is a joke. They just need to cut down on the amount of blood and it can get a PG13 rating. It can still be pretty violent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Well judging by the trailer they have all them ticked.

My hope is that it will be knowingly over the top and stupid, bit like Crank. The problem will be if it tried to take itself seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

goddammit! when i saw this topic i instantly thought it was a trailer for max payne 3. Ah well, the trailer looks slightly pants but we'll just have to wait and see

Advertisement