Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell St artist

Options
  • 10-07-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Have you seen the girl sitting beside McDonalds on lower O'Connell st? She has a number of pictures (which are quite good really) pinned up behind her as she draws on a paper pad. Or at least tries as people walk over her.

This is quite a disconcerting thing to see in Dublin of 2008 - it's not just me feeling guilty, I think (ok, maybe it is). Maybe if it was a young guy I'd feel differently (actually I doubt it in this case) but it cannot possibly be safe out on the street for a girl of her age. I gave her a few quid but a fiver will buy you sod all these days. I guess I wouldn't give money to the usual lot who will just go buy drink with it but this is different.

Didn't the government said homelessness wouldn't be an issue by 2009? That's 6 months away and I can't see it getting better.

What do most people do? Is giving money the right thing to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

How do you know she is homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I like her.

She's awesome!

But yes.. I'm not sure what would lead you to believe she was homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

carveone wrote: »
    Have you seen the girl sitting beside McDonalds on lower O'Connell st? She has a number of pictures (which are quite good really) pinned up behind her as she draws on a paper pad. Or at least tries as people walk over her.

This is quite a disconcerting thing to see in Dublin of 2008 - it's not just me feeling guilty, I think (ok, maybe it is). Maybe if it was a young guy I'd feel differently (actually I doubt it in this case) but it cannot possibly be safe out on the street for a girl of her age. I gave her a few quid but a fiver will buy you sod all these days. I guess I wouldn't give money to the usual lot who will just go buy drink with it but this is different.

Didn't the government said homelessness wouldn't be an issue by 2009? That's 6 months away and I can't see it getting better.

What do most people do? Is giving money the right thing to do?

I don't think so. Giving her money is essentially hiring her to do the same thing tomorrow. I think it's better to find a charity that looks after the homeless, and give to them. If she's genuinely homeless, they'll find a better way to help her than by putting cash in her hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭carveone

But yes.. I'm not sure what would lead you to believe she was homeless.

She does have a small sign up that says "no job, no home". I guess I could just ask her next time I go by.
    gogglebok wrote:
    I think it's better to find a charity that looks after the homeless, and give to them

I always wonder how much money is being lost to overheads when I do that but yes, you have a point. I'd much rather give people a coat or a voucher for a meal than money.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

carveone wrote: »
    She does have a small sign up that says "no job, no home". I guess I could just ask her next time I go by.

I always wonder how much money is being lost to overheads when I do that but yes, you have a point. I'd much rather give people a coat or a voucher for a meal than money.
    I can assure you that they'd much rather money. Homeless can get clothes,shelter and food from charities. If your gonna give such items do it through a charity and not directly.
    Giving them such items directly demorilizes (never mind hinders) them further. Give them cash if your gonna give them anything. Cash gives them some independence even if they choose to spend it on booze, smack, bus fare to see their kids, fags etc. It doesn't matter. Once it's given over its's no longer your business and you've given them the ability to move a little freer to do what they want. Try to pick a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The little homeless sign is a new addition.

I was walking by there last night.

I may have a go at commissioning her to do a picture for me. I'll be sure to post back the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭carveone

humberklog wrote: »
    I can assure you that they'd much rather money.

I guess the charities must be pretty active then. Focus and Simon seem to be the most active - I saw a group of guys going around with food and soup and stuff last winter.
    Your point is well taken though, anything I have available I'll drop in to Simon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I often see various groups handing out soup / blankets / having a chat with people on the street around Dublin. They do seem to do quite a good job.

In saying that though, I have about a 15minute walk from my place into town and I must pass at least 10 people on the street every time I do (along Baggot St. and on up to Grafton St.). I used to be quite 'good' at giving them some change every now and again but had to stop as eventually they were pretty much expecting the change from me... and you end up feeling a bit of prick passing by the big "ah, hello again sir!" smiles when you just don't have anything to give this time.

Might see if I can find one of those groups to donate to instead.

Advertisement