Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

importing a van from the north or U.K

Options
  • 10-07-2008 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi All,

Thinking of buying a van up the north. Something like a volkswagon Transporter or similiar. Can anybody fill me in on the in's and out's of doing this i.e VRT etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

The best place for info is likely to be the Revenue website. http://www.ros.ie VRT enquiry system.

Afaik the VRT on commercial vehicles is €50 but I would recommend contacting your local VRT office to enquire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I bought a Ford Transit connect a month ago.

The revenue look at the type of van you have and if it is a dedicated van, i.e. does not have a car variant, then it is - or was 50 euro flat fee.

A fiesta van, berlingo van, and others do have car versions so you pay big money on VRT. You need to choose a van type, then check does it have a car variant. When I checked about the transit connect, I was told they accept they are a "pure" van. If needs be, ring the revenue and ask them.

Just something else you need to be aware of, are you buying it for personal use or as a goods vehicle? Mine is for my shop which makes it a goods vehicle so it needed to be officially weighed, then DOE'd and only then are you able to tax it.

Advertisement