Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

waiting for test...........

Options
  • 10-07-2008 4:08pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

is anyone having problems not driving their car when they wait for their test.

my battery is dead and i am not expecting a test date before september, so i dont know what to do about my battery, this is a problem i never considered.

has anyone else cancelled their insurance as well? i dont see the point of having insurance if my car inst going anywhere in the near future

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

Get the battery fixed?

Would you not want to be out and about practicing and preparing for your test though? :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

xIsabelx wrote: »
    Get the battery fixed?

Would you not want to be out and about practicing and preparing for your test though? :confused:

i havent got a qualified driver and it would mean getting the AA out every week to recharge the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭techdiver

irishbird wrote: »
    i cant no qualified driver and i it would mean getting the AA out every week to recharge the battery

When did you apply for your test?

I applied for mine in April and was trying to ring the RSA for weeks. I eventually got through early in the morning and managed to find out that my file had been sent to SGS, but no letter was posted out to me!

I would have been waiting for ever for a test if I didn't get through to the RSA to get my reference number for SGS. So much for the 7 - 8 week waiting listed (Yes I know, average). I now have a test date of 7th August, which I wouldn't have got unless I had called SGS, but in order to call SGS you must first get through to the unmanned RSA phone line to get your reference number because they can't be bothered informing you by post!!

This really annoys me!

techdiver wrote: »
    When did you apply for your test?

I applied for mine in April and was trying to ring the RSA for weeks. I eventually got through early in the morning and managed to find out that my file had been sent to SGS, but no letter was posted out to me!

I would have been waiting for ever for a test if I didn't get through to the RSA to get my reference number for SGS. So much for the 7 - 8 week waiting listed (Yes I know, average). I now have a test date of 7th August, which I wouldn't have got unless I had called SGS, but in order to call SGS you must first get through to the unmanned RSA phone line to get your reference number because they can't be bothered informing you by post!!

This really annoys me!

When i applied is kinda irrelavent, i am not asking about waiting times there are hundreds of threads about waiting times. (sorry, it think that just seems a bit harsh - dont mean it to be)

I am just wondering what other people are doing with their cars when they cant drive them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭techdiver

When i applied is kinda irrelavent, i am not asking about waiting times there are hundreds of threads about waiting times. (sorry, it think that just seems a bit harsh - dont mean it to be)

I am just wondering what other people are doing with their cars when they cant drive them ?

Sorry, misunderstood.

True, I haven't driven my car since the 30th, but my girlfriend is doing her test tomorrow, so hopefully we will get some use out of it then, even though she will have to drive my ass around.

It's a pain alright to be paying insurance/tax etc when you are not being let drive. Dead money really.

Suppose it depends how easy you can cancel and then renew your policy when you're doing your test and what the financial gains are from doing it.....

If the car was only mine I might do that alright, but then again I'm lazy and probably wouldn't be bothered.

• Advertisement

Its really my battery, i am worried about

I think the AA people will go nuts at me if i call them out every week to recharge the battery and i have been told that its is really bad for the battery to leave it flat

i wonder if there is a service, like people who walk dogs, take your car out for a spin every few day to keep the battery going

hmmm, i sense a business opportunity

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why don't you just replace the battery IB?
    Doesnt cost much for a replacement you know.
    Suspend the insurance but dont cancel it. That way you will keep the no-claims. Best to do that because if u are taking the test in your car, you will want to know how to use your car specifically and get some road time. Even if you are getting lessons, they should be done in your car.
    Can you get a parent to insure it and go on as a named driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Replace the battery, no point recharging a spent battery again and again. And it's not that you "can't" drive your car, you just need a qualified driver, or instructor.

have just given my car away to my brother.

the battery is only 6 months old so really didnt want to fork out for another new one

my family live an hour or so away from and i dont know anyone in the area where i live to drive with me.

my instructor said i dont need anymore leesons, so he refusing to charge me for something i dont need

so i have absolutely no one to go out in the car with me.

i am really sad to see my car go but sure its better that someone gets some use out it rather then it sitting my driveway dying:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the battery is only 6 months old so really didnt want to fork out for another new one
    My mechanical knowledge is limited but it sounds more like a problem with the alternator which is not sending a charge to the battery. A healthy battery should be capable of starting a car which has been sitting up for three or four weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

My mechanical knowledge is limited but it sounds more like a problem with the alternator which is not sending a charge to the battery. A healthy battery should be capable of starting a car which has been sitting up for three or four weeks.

I was just about to say that, usually the alternator would be the problem if it's a new enough battery, 6 months is pretty new for a battery.

Advertisement