Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite episode of season 4

• 10-07-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

So what was your favourite episode this season?

Mine was The Sontaran Stratagem, an episode not liked by a lot of people. I liked the story, the return of UNIT, and Mike from The Young Ones playing the Sontaran general with definite short man syndrome.

(My favourite character however was doolally Dalek Caan, the real hero of Journey's End)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Moffat 2-parter, closely followed by Midnight, I'd say. The former because Moffat is great at getting some genuinely creepy sequences out of relatively inoccuous ideas and doesn't let the action and shouting overshadow good plotlines and dialogue. The latter because it was evidence that RTD can actually do some very good episodes when he's forced to stop relying on CGI-fest action sequences, technobabble and shouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Moffat library episodes, probably followed by "Turn Left" (yes RTD can actually pen a good episode when he takes a break from painting by numbers).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Never let it be said I don't give RTD his due, I though both Turn Left and Midnight in retrospect were blinders.

Moffat's double header was great of course, as was the Sontarans, but TBH turn Left and Midnight seemed to be pushing the new series in a whole new direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

OK I'm gonna get a bit of flak here, but I really liked te doctors daughter episode, I liked the pace of the ep and I was really surprised by a few of the twists in it,

I didnt like Moffats 2 Parter this year as much, well I loved te first half but I found the ending massivley contrived with yer wan river song, other than that it was a great two parter.

Actually liked most of the episodes this year, even the first one with the adiposians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Fires of Pompeii for me.

Firstly, great (albeit borrowed) sets.

Secondly, the confimation that some things are static and fixed in time and must happen (who decides what though? Time Lord intervention perhaps, pillars of time anyone) which echos things like The Great Breakout and the Second Human Empire and things like that from previous Who.

Third, Donna putting the breaks on The Doctor (again) and a great performance form Catherine Tate. Actually, she really impressed me this year, as I HATE her comedy and her characters!!

Fourth, a genuinely creepy moment when the soothsayers reveal they know who The Doctor and Donna are. Moments like this I love (another pile of them in Midnight too) when suddenly you sense that The Doctor isnt in control of things at all, and he's as lost as anyone, and in fear. Contrast this to him moping about the Tardis when he loses the Bee's trail looking for Earth. You dont get the feeling that he's in danger, or indeed worried, just that he pissed off because he has been bested.

Fifth - Peter Cpaldi. God, I remember him hangin around with Stephen Fry and the Footlights shower in the '80's. Nice to see he's still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Probably the Library 2-parter (4 for 4 for Moffat for me then) but honourable mentions to "Fires of Pompeii" and *gasp* "Turn Left" which just goes to show that RTD can write very well when he tries to slow things down and be more subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

I was a little disappointed by "The Doctor's Daughter" because I thought that it would actually be his daughter, and we'd get a bit more back-story. William Hartnell's first companion was his grand-daughter, so I thought it would be her mother, who had somehow survived the time war.
    Having said that, I enjoyed the episode, although I didn't quite believe the ending. I wonder if she'll get her own spin-off, she'll definitely be back in some form.:rolleyes:

Advertisement