Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Students having the same passwords??

• 10-07-2008 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

This is a really weird issue that I discovered about two months ago. A couple of people from my course and I were talking about our DCU passwords (okay so it's a bit stupid to be talking about your passwords with other people, but anyway...) and a girl in my course said hers (it's a random mix of letters and numbers so we weren't really concerned that anyone could remember it or anything). Sure enough, it was the exact same password as mine. Is this not a bit of a security risk? I could just try to get into random accounts using my own password, and you never know, it might work! Bit worrying...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 taidhger

I don't think there's much of a risk. I think it can be reasonably expected that most people change their password the first time they log in (and DCU should really enforce this), especially since their initial password is provided to them by a third party and is therefore untrustworthy.

Though the fact they assign the same "random" password initially doesn't exactly inspire confidence in DCU's IT security...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

taidhger wrote: »
    I don't think there's much of a risk. I think it can be reasonably expected that most people change their password the first time they log in (and DCU should really enforce this), especially since their initial password is provided to them by a third party and is therefore untrustworthy.

Though the fact they assign the same "random" password initially doesn't exactly inspire confidence in DCU's IT security...

the DCU password is pretty solid dictionary attack wise... alphanumeric and 8 digits long is pretty good.

control - alt - delete when your logged into a dcu machine and click on change password will do the job for you if your that worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It's entirely probable that we could all have the same password for our DCU account. Assuming they're generated randomnly would mean it's highly unlikely though. Just say it's a pretty weird coincidence. Nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I don't think there's much of a risk. I think it can be reasonably expected that most people change their password the first time they log in...

You would be surprised - i never changed it - in fact i know loads of people that still have it after years of being in the college,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭lil_cain

Someone should explain the meaning of the word "random" to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

lil_cain wrote: »
    Someone should explain the meaning of the word "random" to you.

Someone should explain the word 'manners' to you... or was that "root exploits"? I always get mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Probably both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Additional comment of mockery.

I apologise if the sarcasm wasn't clear enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I think it can be reasonably expected that most people change their password the first time they log in

Definitely not true, most people do not change it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Is it actually supplied by a third party? Seems... unnessacary.

The third party being the IT people that came up with the password in the first place. I don't think you can trust a password when you don't know where it came from and who has seen it before it was supplied to you. It sounds like I was wrong to assume people change it :o; good thing I don't work for IT security then :P.

Still though, shouldn't they force you to change it on first logging in? (I don't remember that window popping up though it's been a while)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Choco123

This is a really weird issue that I discovered about two months ago. A couple of people from my course and I were talking about our DCU passwords (okay so it's a bit stupid to be talking about your passwords with other people, but anyway...) and a girl in my course said hers (it's a random mix of letters and numbers so we weren't really concerned that anyone could remember it or anything). Sure enough, it was the exact same password as mine. Is this not a bit of a security risk? I could just try to get into random accounts using my own password, and you never know, it might work! Bit worrying...

Don't be worried Patrick.

DON'T BE WORRIED!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I did, then discovered that it won't change for everything (labs or moodle or something) so I changed back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

I think it can be reasonably expected that most people change their password the first time they log in (and DCU should really enforce this), especially since their initial password is provided to them by a third party and is therefore untrustworthy.

The only problem with everyone changing there passwords is come exam time a lot of people are going to be screwed, most wont remember the old password or where that piece of paper with it was. As in for anonymous marking where you need to provide the first five/four characters of your novel password.

Although if your like me and during transferring course they manage to **** up your account you have a different password for computing, science block and Henry Gratten.
    </div>

Advertisement