Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of living in Dublin 2008

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They're a bigger multiple because people have more disposable income due to other items (food, energy among others) consuming less of their salary, more often both work in a couple, and interest rates have been relatively low.

Our parents certainly never enjoyed foreign holidays, big tv's, high end cars + the mortgage, which many people are now able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Eglinton wrote: »
    I've just read through a few of the other posts. €50 is insanely low for a week's grocery shop in Dublin. I did a sample shop on Tesco.ie and tried to buy a realistic amount of food to sustain someone sane while also choosing the cheaper options (Tesco Value)

Menu

Monday - Steak + Potatoes, Corn Flakes, Beans on Toast, Yogurt, Fruit
    Tuesday - Steak + Potatoes, Corn Flakes, Beans on Toast, Yogurt, Fruit
    Wednesday - Lasagne + Chips, Corn Flakes, Beans on Toast, Yogurt Fruit
    Thursday - Lasagne + Chips, Corn Flakes, Beans on Toast, Yogurt Fruit
    Friday - Sauage and Tomato Pasta, Corn Flakes, Beans on Toast, Yogurt, Fruit
    Saturday - Sauage and Tomato Pasta, Corn Flakes, Beans on Toast, Yogurt, Fruit
    Sunday - Chicken, Chips, Veg, Gravy, Corn Flakes, Yogurt, Fruit, Beans on Toast

Beverages for the week - Mi Wadi 1 litre, Milk 2 litres.

I only bought enough to sustain one person (bare minimum like 1 apple a day) and I've probably left a few things out such as some of the basics required like cooking oil etc.

Total came to 67 euro.

I can't see how anyone could live on less food than this and to get to this you have to stretch your meals over two days which would get pretty painful.

I think the issue here is those steaks mainly and if one is prepared to cook.

To contrast, my main meals are the prepared ones of the weightwatcher variety. Maybe twice a week i'd cook that steak one day and have fish on another.

For example packets of beef lasagne, chicken pot, spaghetti bolognaise, shepherds pie, tikka masala, chicken curry etc from the ww range cost 3 euro or less.

For brekkie, i do continental style, a cereal does the job along with an actimel.
    A prepared sandwich does the job for a lunch along with some fruit.

I'd buy a packet of oven chips and oven potatoes which does me for the month whenever i choose to have them.
    If i feel peckish for some extra's, i'd throw some indian or chinese selection in the oven.

It's quite manageable for me to live on less than 50 euro a week on basics of the above and not starving afterward. Each to their own i suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

gurramok wrote: »
    I think the issue here is those steaks mainly and if one is prepared to cook.

To contrast, my main meals are the prepared ones of the weightwatcher variety. Maybe twice a week i'd cook that steak one day and have fish on another.

For example packets of beef lasagne, chicken pot, spaghetti bolognaise, shepherds pie, tikka masala, chicken curry etc from the ww range cost 3 euro or less.

For brekkie, i do continental style, a cereal does the job along with an actimel.
    A prepared sandwich does the job for a lunch along with some fruit.

I'd buy a packet of oven chips and oven potatoes which does me for the month whenever i choose to have them.
    If i feel peckish for some extra's, i'd throw some indian or chinese selection in the oven.

It's quite manageable for me to live on less than 50 euro a week on basics of the above and not starving afterward. Each to their own i suppose :)

Could you stick with that choice of menu for long though? I mean packets!?! I'd go mad. I only included the steaks as they were mentioned in others' posts. But even if you removed them and ate something else, you'd be hard pushed to eat for less really. The menu I chose sacrifices a lot of quality already - I would not do it week in week out. A budget of 75-100 per week is much more realistic.

Throwing in the odd evening meal in a restaurant or getting take out would bring it up to that on average no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I know you're only using tesco as an example but you can shop around elsewhere :)

For example.

fairy house market 5 large gammon steaks = 5e

local butchers often do very good deals on meats especially if you go in late on a Saturday afternoon.

also Lidl seems to be a hell of lot cheaper than tesco that would reduce it again.

If you put a bit of effort in I would imagine you could have a fairly well balanced fresh diet for 50e it'd be tight tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Would you not go bonkers though with the lack of variety and mundaneness of it all? Food is privilage and a pleasure. You don't have to cut too many corners. Of course it's possible to eat for less than 50 euro theoretically.

• Advertisement

Would you not go bonkers though with the lack of variety and mundaneness of it all? Food is privilage and a pleasure. You don't have to cut too many corners. Of course it's possible to eat for less than 50 euro theoretically.

Why would it have be mundane?

gammon steaks were an example you could spend 215 or so a month which is the same as 50e a week

buy in bulk and freeze you don't have to eat 5 gammon steaks freeze them and have one a week etc it will only be mundane if you make it so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Could you stick with that choice of menu for long though? I mean packets!?! I'd go mad. I only included the steaks as they were mentioned in others' posts. But even if you removed them and ate something else, you'd be hard pushed to eat for less really. The menu I chose sacrifices a lot of quality already - I would not do it week in week out. A budget of 75-100 per week is much more realistic.

Throwing in the odd evening meal in a restaurant or getting take out would bring it up to that on average no problem at all.

Yeh, have been for years.

The packets may seem small to the eye but they are filling. I'd actually trust the ww range for quality, after all they ain't some yellow pack company :)

Meat, fish and chicken to a lesser extent is expensive, up to a tenner in cases for a good filling portion in one meal so the cost goes right down when they are reduced in consumption from maybe 4 times a week to twice a week.

I don't eat much greens for dins which is why the cost maybe less than a traditional type of dinner.
    Shop in Lidl also, i do get my fruit juice's and milk in there and some chocolate if needs be(continental chocolate tastes far more better)

Of course a take out or a rn't meal or offy alcohol hikes the total, but we are talking about home meals for the basics.
    As ntlbell exclaimed, buy in bulk and freeze. I do it for the month and it's grand and i ain't a skinny dude after it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just found a link to an interesting challenge (feed two people in Ireland for €50 a week!):

http://www.lidltreats.com/2008/07/the-50-euro-challenge/

From this thread on saving:

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?t=10815

I think that would only be for people really, REALLY into putting in the effort needed to cut down and save, quite unrealistic for the rest of us! Some good tips I'm sure, though.

ionapaul wrote: »
    Just found a link to an interesting challenge (feed two people in Ireland for €50 a week!):

http://www.lidltreats.com/2008/07/the-50-euro-challenge/

From this thread on saving:

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?t=10815

I think that would only be for people really, REALLY into putting in the effort needed to cut down and save, quite unrealistic for the rest of us! Some good tips I'm sure, though.

looks like they ate fairly well on day one for just over 6e

Advertisement