Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan's tells us off.

Options
  • 10-07-2008 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

How dare Eamon Ryan lecture us about overspending, him and his FF buddies spent like drunken sailors up to a couple of weeks ago.

It is FF and their builder buddies who have us in this state, not the taxpayer you D1(k head:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

He's some neck, so it's our fault too the ESB is going up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

much to my shame I voted for these wasters last time, I thought they would put it up to FF. They bent over on every issue FF tell them too. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

a link would be useful....

And maybe an explaination on how FF and their builder buddies have us here? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Would ya leave poor Mr. Ryan alone, he's prone to forgetting things.

460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0__3527_greensdail31jan06web.jpg

The Green Party played us all for a pack of eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

spadder wrote: »
    How dare Eamon Ryan lecture us about overspending, him and his FF buddies spent like drunken sailors up to a couple of weeks ago.

It is FF and their builder buddies who have us in this state, not the taxpayer you D1(k head:mad:

Probably taking a leaf out of Gordens Browns statement for people to not to waste food ,ye know anything Britain does or says we follow suit .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So you think that the we acted perfectly reasonably in accepting inflated prices and borrowing more money than we could ever hope to pay back?

I don't care whether you blame the greens or FF, but there is a certain thing called personal responsibility that we like to sweep under the carpet in Ireland.

It's like the spoilt little who ate too many sweets having and having a tummy ache blaming the sweetshop.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Its as simple as this FF deserve the Greens and vice versa. They could not manage the economy when there was loads of money coming in, so what are the chances of them doing it right with no money? Ryan is now FF. Not 5 minutes ago they were all set to take the big salary increases. Close the Dail and we will save on the heating and electric bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Would ya leave poor Mr. Ryan alone, he's prone to forgetting things.

The Green Party played us all for a pack of eejits.
    not all of us,just those who voted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So you think that the we acted perfectly reasonably in accepting inflated prices and borrowing more money than we could ever hope to pay back?

I don't care whether you blame the greens or FF, but there is a certain thing called personal responsibility that we like to sweep under the carpet in Ireland.

It's like the spoilt little who ate too many sweets having and having a tummy ache blaming the sweetshop.

+1

Most people's biggest outlay is their house, for years the government let the prices spiral out of control because it suited their galway tent buddies, bent politicians, corrupt developers and themselves. FF wallowed like pigs in ****e in the stamp duty revenue. Now it's dryed up, they have nothing to show for it. Crap infrastructure,no health service, schools in chaos and multinationals dropping like fleas beacuse of the high cost of doing business here.

Well done Mr Ryan for blaming me, I will take full responsiblity because I choose to have a nice car for sitting in traffic for 10 hours a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Please furnish me with one example of Eamon Ryan's overspending. Thnx.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wood Pellets.

It was money for a different purpose so a 100% overspend.

And a total waste of money to scammers.

I've been environmentalist since a teenager. But I'd never vote for these Greens. They are clueless.

Incinerators:

We are still going a ahead building sites for BURNING rubbish, when other countries are moving away from this idiotic solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i thought eamon ryan spoke the truth for the most part
    i find it redicolous how couples with 2 kids have built or bought 6 bedroom housed and drive his and her,s suv,s
    they cost a fortune to heat and run respectivly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Most people's biggest outlay is their house, for years the government let the prices spiral out of control ...
    Did they? How?
    ...I will take full responsiblity because I choose to have a nice car for sitting in traffic for 10 hours a week.
    So you should - not sure what that has to do with Eamonn Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

djpbarry wrote: »
    Did they? How?
    So you should - not sure what that has to do with Eamonn Ryan.

Because they did next to nothing to stop speculation for one.
    I read the other day that Revenue is now going after landlords for the tax they've been avoiding for years. NOW! Why didn't they always do this?

sovtek wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean?

Well, I'm just wondering why it's the government's fault that some people were prepared to pay €350,000 for a 2-bed house in Kildare and leave themselves with a monster of a commute every day.
    I read the other day that Revenue is now going after landlords for the tax they've been avoiding for years. NOW! Why didn't they always do this?
    While I agree with you, one has to ask why tenants would be prepared to rent from a landlord who is not willing to divulge their PPS number so the tenant can claim their rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I'm not sure what you mean?

Well, I'm just wondering why it's the government's fault that some people were prepared to pay €350,000 for a 2-bed house in Kildare and leave themselves with a monster of a commute every day.

Speculation drove the prices so high and the government did little if nothing to curb speculation. Therefore what choice did this imaginary family have?
    While I agree with you, one has to ask why tenants would be prepared to rent from a landlord who is not willing to divulge their PPS number so the tenant can claim their rent allowance.

Why would landlords avoid tax and why would the government seemingly tolerate it until they decided they actually needed the money?

Speculation drove the prices so high...
    People being prepared to pay crazy money for substandard property drove the prices up.

Is it the fault of the British government that ticket prices for Premiership games are soaring?
    Why would landlords avoid tax...
    :confused:

Again, I'm not sure what you mean. What I am saying is that I find it very strange that so many tenants are happy to go without their rent allowance (a significant sum to a lot of tenants). I wouldn’t even consider renting from a landlord who is not prepared to divulge his/her PPS number for tax purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Do you mean rent allowance that you claim when your on social welfare (and which a lot of landlords do not accept) or rent allowance as in the tax you can get back from your rent payments.
    and the answer to your question is students and people in low paid jobs/nixers, I've lived in Dublin for 6 years now and never claimed money back for rent payments. In the place I'm in now landlord must be registered cos flatmate claiming back tax but have to say prefered the landlord had a few years ago, used to come around to get the rent cash in hand-at least then you could get to talk to him about repairs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Speculation drove the prices so high and the government did little if nothing to curb speculation. Therefore what choice did this imaginary family have?

Don't credit the gov with powers they do not have, governments cant stop speculation "manias" just like they cant stop crashes or is FF running Spain where a similar mania is unwinding?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I really fail to see how the government could stop house prices soaring. They put off investors with ridiculous stamp duty and that did nothing (I jest!)

But seriously if you think the government are at fault for the house prices then you are wrong. It's the average joe willing to spend 500,000 on a badly built 1 bed apartment in sandyford that had the house prices soaring. They will level off at the value that people can afford. Hopefully this blip will force people into examining what they can afford - it's definately forced the banks to examine it a but more in depth and stop offering people mortgages they can't afford. Hmmmm.... were does the government fit into that?

RDM_83 wrote: »
    Do you mean rent allowance that you claim when your on social welfare (and which a lot of landlords do not accept) or rent allowance as in the tax you can get back from your rent payments.
    The latter.
    RDM_83 wrote: »
    ...I've lived in Dublin for 6 years now and never claimed money back for rent payments.
    You know you can claim for previous years? That's a fair bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Poor oul Eamon Ryan,like many an Irish politican before him he`s guilty at most,of tellin it like it is :rolleyes:

Whilst the arguement over our spending habits can ebb and flow with gusto,the reality is that both ourselves and our Imperial neighbours have somewhat willingly availed of the blandishments of the snake-oil salesmen over the past 20 years.

The roots of this lie,i believe,in the reign of Lady Margaret Hilda Thatcher and her incredible band of fellow political travellers.
    This incredible woman has left us all a legacy which is far from complete and our current downward spiral may not even be the final chapter.

The social changes wreaked on Great Britain as a consequence of her policies may well take centuries to fully propagate.
    Both Britain and ourselves are countries and social orders in turmoil with very few inhabitants having any real sense of place,identity or culture.

We compensated for that in the immediate aftermath of Lady T`s shares-for-all boom by embarking on a comfort-spending spree whereby all of the old-order was dispensed with and replaced by "stuff" which had accquired a new found value....an SUV,a tiny dockland "Loft",membership of a "Health Club" etc etc.

The "Old Fashioned" stuff such as tight closed knit family centred living were deemed to be undesireable if not even dangerous as it presented certain dangers of rebellious mutterings should the Lady`s policies go astray.

The Miners and Steelworkers disputes,or more correctly the manner of Lady T`s suppression of them and the subsequent dismantling of an entire social system left her and her policies totally triumphant.

I`m not attempting to be judgemental about her or her policies but rather throwing out a piece of crusty bread to chew upon as I feel her entire era merely proved how few of the other politicians had any clue about their calling.

Either way,Eamonn Ryan,in vocalizing his "Reap as ye shall Sow" speech is to be praised for not taking the easy route !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i bet you blame thatcher for our awfull summers too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Close the Dail and we will save on the heating and electric bills.

They're doing that themselves....in the middle of a crisis, after wasting loads of OUR money on eVoting machines, office renovations for pointless ex-Taoisigh with no jobs anymore, new (non-environmentally-friendly!!) luxury cars, expense claims that don't need receipts (and even "compensation" for people who can't claim expenses - WTF is that about!!!!).....they're off on their "summer" holidays......

Shower of wasters - literally AND metaphorically!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoinmadden

There was a Green Party policy to tax property speculation. Basically to tax property that was not one's primary residence.
    But the Green Party didn't get enough votes so this never became policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoinmadden

Do what my family did.
    NOT get caught up in the speculation.
    NOT pay inflated prices.
    Save. Rent. Ignore idiots who preached about the property "ladder".
    Save some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well, I'm just wondering why it's the government's fault that some people were prepared to pay €350,000 for a 2-bed house in Kildare and leave themselves with a monster of a commute every day....

A lot of our property bubble is due to the government either through their actions or inactions.
    Look at how many properties were built in the likes of Leitrim due to Section 23.
    At the last census the county was running at 70% occupancy.
    That means 30% of the properties were empty.
    Now when the Eastern European workers head for greener shores that level will rise even more.
    You now have ghost villages in the county due to fact houses were built with aim of selling to investors to counter their tax liabilities.

In the likes of Limerick you have had building of apartments due to Section 50 scheme.
    These schemes were continued too long and have affectively only encouraged over building and over supply in some areas.

Another example that is coming home to roost is the capital grants for hotel developments. Where are all these lovely hotels going to get customers, what with the Irish being cash strapped, the american dollar semi worthless and the weather cack.

The government sat back and allowed the builders, developers, speculators and investors to continue the proerty gravy train.
    Did anyone (Finace or Central Bank) ever question the banks regarding scale of 100% mortgages ?
    Afterall the returns to the exchequer were great, the boyos in the tent were doing mighty, while it lasted and sure wasn't property always going to go up :rolleyes:

Saying all that nobody held a gun to anyones head and some idiots voted them back in,even after all their arrogance and wastage.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

eoinmadden wrote: »
    Ignore idiots who preached about the property "ladder".

Yup, this pathetic phrase was recited everywhere.....

Stuff "wanting to buy somewhere to live".....I was in a bank one day and heard a bank official say to a potential client "So you want to get on the property ladder"...

If it had been me I'd have walked out, saying "no, actually - I want to buy somewhere to live, and since you don't understand my needs and requirements, there's no point in discussing it with you".

What happened to "waste not, want not" and all the other good advice that our parents used to hand down ?

FF squandered the boom, and the Greens rolled over as soon as they got power. Eamon Ryan might be telling it as it is, but he's definitely not doing anything to solve the problem.

Imagine an Ireland where our tax money hadn't been wasted on ego projects for FF and poor value-for-money.....one where we'd actually have proper, economical, direct public transport between all the major cities and their satellite towns, where we weren't stuck in traffic for hours wasting ever-more-expensive petrol.....

Advertisement