Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fooling the VRT

Options
  • 10-07-2008 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Just a question there on the off chance that could save me money!!
    I recently brought down a 2001 Bora from the north, its a sport 115hp 6 speed with a red DI.

The VRT for this is charged at 20% because the 115hp model is at 144g/km however the 110hp model is only at the 16% because its 138g/km I think. The tax book with the car only says its a bora sport and nothing bout the engine size. Can I pass it off as the 110hp when asked? I know I have to put on a new gear stick showing only 5 gears but do they check a different way?

I stand to save about €450 plus cheap road tax so help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

Oh this is going to be good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

The VRO will just go off whats written on the V5 and whatever their database has for corresponding emmissions.
    If there's nothing on the V5 to differenciate between 110 and 130, then i think they'll just go off the standard version.

I dunno would it be worth changing the gearstick, a lot of the time they don't even inspect a car if its over 3 years old

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The VRO are also well wise to the variations in engine outputs. Last time I was in the office in Galway, they had lists of all the VAG engine codes and their respective outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does the V5 not give the CO2 output? Surely it doesnt give a generic value for the whole range with that engine regardless of which version it is? Otherwise what would be the point of putting it on the V5 if it's not model specific?

That answers that then!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

DaMonk wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I recently brought down a 2001 Bora from the north, its a sport 115hp 6 speed with a red DI.

The VRT for this is charged at 20% because the 115hp model is at 144g/km however the 110hp model is only at the 16% because its 138g/km I think. The tax book with the car only says its a bora sport and nothing bout the engine size. Can I pass it off as the 110hp when asked? I know I have to put on a new gear stick showing only 5 gears but do they check a different way?

I don't think you will save anything - in the Castlebar VRO,(unsure about others) they ring up the local vw dealership with the vin to get the exact model variant; there's so many variants and they have to squeeze every penny out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

plus cheap road tax so help appreciated!

Road tax is on engine size up to 2008

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi there,

Your 2001 Bora will be taxed on engine size not Co2 levels as the car is not a 2008 reg. They will most likely just do a check on the VIN which will tell them all they need to know.

(Edit: CrowdedHouse beat me to it)

all car's registered in ireland after july 1st is subject to VRT calculated by Co2, back as far as 30 years!! so the bora will be subject to the new system. Go to www.ros.ie and click on the VRT calculator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Joe Malone

all car's registered in ireland after july 1st is subject to VRT calculated by Co2, back as far as 30 years!! so the bora will be subject to the new system. Go to www.ros.ie and click on the VRT calculator.

Yes Charlie, nobody is disputing that the new system applies for VRT - the debate centred on the road tax which the OP mistakenly thought was based on CO2 for his 2001 import - the other posters pointed out that it will not be road taxed on that basis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

Joe Malone wrote: »
    Yes Charlie, nobody is disputing that the new system applies for VRT - the debate centred on the road tax which the OP mistakenly thought was based on CO2 for his 2001 import - the other posters pointed out that it will not be road taxed on that basis!
    wow, hold on a inute, I've read in loads of places that it'll be taxed on the new system since its newly registered!

And the V5C says its a Bora sport TDi, no emissions or hp!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

wow, hold on a inute, I've read in loads of places that it'll be taxed on the new system since its newly registered!

And the V5C says its a Bora sport TDi, no emissions or hp!

You read wrong info.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You read wrong info.
    "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Changes from July 2008 will mean that NEWLY registered cars in Ireland will be taxed based on their CO2 emissions instead of engine size"

[/FONT]http://www.irishlinks.co.uk/car-tax-ireland.htm

Am I reading this totally wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

From your link, very badly worded;
    Older cars will coontinue to be have motor tax based on the size of the engine - the bigger the engine cc - the higher the tax.

hardly the website to visit for accurate information.
    The other posters are correct, old road tax system applies.

bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You read wrong info.

The new motor tax regime was originally supposed to apply to any car newly registered in Ireland after July 2008, the purpose, as John Gormley stated in his pre-budget speech announcing the changes was to 'incentivise purchases', however, under pressure from the motor trade and the department of finance, this was amended when the wording was put to the legislation in April 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Road tax is on engine size up to 2008

+1 You would still be on old tax rates of CC lad.

I learned that the hard way - thanks niceirishfella who gave me a grillin' one day :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

do your homework!

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/QuestionsandAnswersontheCO2basedsystem/
    this is the dept. of environment website, which deals with motor tax,

"What about cars registered before January 2008?
    Cars registered before 2008, including imports, will continue to be taxed in future years under the existing motor tax system related to engine size. (c.c)"

Advertisement