Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired + Wireless Router in one?

Options
  • 10-07-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm trying to see if I can get my hands on something like this
    L48-2572-out3-wg.jpg

Am I right in thinking with this setup, I can plug my PC into the router via USB (Non-wireless Internet Connection), and still access the internet with my Games consoles (Wireless Internet Connection)?

The router I have at the moment is the same except for the USB port. The reason I want the one pictured above, is so that I don't have to worry about losing signal when using my PC.

Also, if anyone has a suggestion on where to get one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

You can plug into the USB, but it is better to use Ethernet.

Ethernet is faster, can be used over greater distances, and is generally more reliable. It also doesn't require any special drivers.

Unless you have a laptop, like the Mac Air, that doesn't have an Ethernet port, there is not really a good reason not to use ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Are you saying I can connect to the internet with the Ethernet ports marked LAN?

Yep. Assuming you have an Ethernet port on your computer, you can just plug your computer up and it will probably work without you having to do anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Can't believe I havn't tried this...

I have an Ethernet port in the back of the PC, I just figured LAN had to do with networking 2 or more PC's rather than have anything to do with the internet connection.

I'll try it out now, and I'll post how I get on ;) Thanks!

EDIT, Works a charm!

Speed is now 100Mbps rather than the 54 through wireless, and I'll never have to worry about crappy signal again!! :)

Egyptian wrote: »

EDIT, Works a charm!

Speed is now 100Mbps rather than the 54 through wireless, and I'll never have to worry about crappy signal again!! :)

Cool!! Glad to hear it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Egyptian wrote: »
    Can't believe I havn't tried this...

I have an Ethernet port in the back of the PC, I just figured LAN had to do with networking 2 or more PC's rather than have anything to do with the internet connection.

I'll try it out now, and I'll post how I get on ;) Thanks!

EDIT, Works a charm!

Where have you been for the last ********* years? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dub45 wrote: »
    Where have you been for the last ********* years? :)

I could feel my brain dying a little reading this thread.

Anyhow, you can't plug a PC into the USB port there, it's for external drives to act like a NAS device.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Spear wrote: »
    I could feel my brain dying a little reading this thread.

Anyhow, you can't plug a PC into the USB port there, it's for external drives to act like a NAS device.

Actually I would have assumed that it's for the likes of 3G 'broadband' connections to be shared over the network. And yup, I'm pretty sure a tiny part of my brain died whilst reading this too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Achilles wrote: »
    Actually I would have assumed that it's for the likes of 3G 'broadband' connections to be shared over the network. And yup, I'm pretty sure a tiny part of my brain died whilst reading this too.

I have one of those routers, the Linksys WRT350N, and it's only for mounting a USB based hard drive as a network share.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Spear wrote: »
    I have one of those routers, the Linksys WRT350N, and it's only for mounting a USB based hard drive as a network share.

Fair enough!

• Advertisement
Advertisement