Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a cpl(h)??????

Options
  • 10-07-2008 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi, Can anyone guide me to getting my commercial helicopter pilots licence.
    I have done some research but am a bit overwhelmed by all the websites and different regulations out there.
    So far i've booked my first flying lesson which will take place in a week or two but its just to try and guage if I will enjoy flying or not (every1 assures me that i will love it) ive also checked out the price of a medical to see if I will be allowed to fly commercially but dont know whats involved in the exam?

Whats troubling me really is Id like to do the course abraod (U.S or Canada) but because of the HUGE financial needs for the course I would have to work as well as studying and cant find any colleges JAA approved abroad,

Has anyone ever gone down this route that could give me some advice. any will be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

The IAA class 1 medical consists of an ECG,eye test,hearing test,Lung capacity test, a urine test and then a physical examination and a free breakfast if your lucky :). Think it costs about 700?

I presume by "colleges" you are refering to flight schools?
    Bristow Academy is a CAA approved flight school based in Titusville Florida. (www.heli.com) Presuming you want to fly in Ireland you will need to take the JAA course.The integrated course consits of 14 written exams which you take in two sittings (you can take upto 6 sittings if you choose) and is based over 48weeks.It is a fulltime course and you will have absolutely 0 time to have a job.From the integrated course you recieve an FAA ppl(h) and a JAA CPL (h).the current waiting list for this course is some time in 2010 at the moment.

On the other hand you could sign up for a long distance course like the one provided by Bristol for example, sit the exams you need for your commercial, and once you have them all passed, enrole at bristow academy and just do the flying part and not have to sit any exams. There is no waiting list for students who are only doing the flying part of the course at the moment afaik.

I would strongly recommend that you get your finances sorted before you think about anything else.it is going to cost you a lot and the option of working and training fulltime is not an pratical.Also apply to take your class 1 medical ASAP if you are intending on taking the training all the way.

Best of luck! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Sounds like it could turn out to be very expensive mdrizzle perhaps you may be better suited to a career elsewhere.

Merchandising perhaps?? :D

Advertisement