Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

So then Klassic Rock - when is it classic?

• 10-07-2008 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

1998? 1988? 1978? 1968? and when does the cut off arrive? At what point does the bands rider request an aromatherapist rather than a stripper?

For me Classic Rock is cememted in the archive of my mind with 3 day weeks, queues for petrol and Halls Pictorial Weekly and kinda peters out with the emergence of the NWOBHM generation.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Anything pre-grunge in my opinion.
    And by that, I mean bands which stopped being at their creative peak by the early 90's. Not bands, such as Metallica who managed to survive the revolution.

But bands like Rolling Stones, Motley Crue, AC/DC, all classic rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

mike65 wrote: »
    1998? 1988? 1978? 1968? and when does the cut off arrive? At what point does the bands rider request an aromatherapist rather than a stripper?

For me Classic Rock is cememted in the archive of my mind with 3 day weeks, queues for petrol and Halls Pictorial Weekly and kinda peters out with the emergence of the NWOBHM generation.

Mike.

Yeah I think the dawn of punk is the natural cut off point for most. I think when music really went tribal in Ireland circa 1979 with Mods Punks Teds Ska Rockers kinda it divided up the youth a bit where as before we'd all get along fine sitting around listening to zep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

classic rock hmmm, anything from the 1960s to the mid 80s. That said I'd perceive Radiohead, Nirvana and some other bands as classic rock already because I can see their influence reverberating throughout the decades. I'm such there are forgotten classics from the 60s and 70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think everyones idea of classic rock is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

KISS!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Everyone's gonna have an opinion on what defines classic rock.
    Some albums from the 90s could be defined as classic rock by some people.
    For me, classic rock is Led Zeppelin. The doors, CSNY, Nei Young, that ilk. I wouldnt classify the 80s hair metal as classic rock personally, but can see that they have their place and are "classic!"

Advertisement