Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Hell!

Options
  • 10-07-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Can anyone help! I am 3 days trying to sort out my broadband with NTL and i am jusy getting the run-around. I need a new modem as i have to constantly reboot the old one. Simple. I was 45mins on hold to tech support dialing 1908 and when i finally got through he told me that the people who deal with broadband problems would give me a callback. -It of course never happened. I tried again today and it's worse i was on hold for 32mins and then out on hold for a further 12mins while they were 'trying to find the right person to deal with my call'. They twice asked me did i wanted a service engineer to come out to my house to find the problem! -What problem? I know what the problem is! I just want a new modem or a replacement one. I can't afford to take a day off work for some guy who won't probably show for a small problem. Does anyone know a number I can ring other than the free phone number? I just want to speak to a person in there with half a brain. I really wish I didn't have my broadband with them, but they are the only ISP available in my area for now. :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

>> Thread moved to Broadband forum.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

aidanco wrote: »
    Can anyone help! I am 3 days trying to sort out my broadband with NTL and i am jusy getting the run-around. I need a new modem as i have to constantly reboot the old one. Simple. I was 45mins on hold to tech support dialing 1908 and when i finally got through he told me that the people who deal with broadband problems would give me a callback. -It of course never happened. I tried again today and it's worse i was on hold for 32mins and then out on hold for a further 12mins while they were 'trying to find the right person to deal with my call'. They twice asked me did i wanted a service engineer to come out to my house to find the problem! -What problem? I know what the problem is! I just want a new modem or a replacement one. I can't afford to take a day off work for some guy who won't probably show for a small problem. Does anyone know a number I can ring other than the free phone number? I just want to speak to a person in there with half a brain. I really wish I didn't have my broadband with them, but they are the only ISP available in my area for now. :eek:

Sorry for asking, but is it the modem or the router that is giving you problems. Judging by the fact that you didnt mention wireless, I am guessing that its the original supplied modem. Which model do you have.

I know from past experiences, UPC dont offer any type of support on the netgear routers which they supply. They just pass on the number for tech support of netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aidanco

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Sorry for asking, but is it the modem or the router that is giving you problems. Judging by the fact that you didnt mention wireless, I am guessing that its the original supplied modem. Which model do you have.

I know from past experiences, UPC dont offer any type of support on the netgear routers which they supply. They just pass on the number for tech support of netgear.

You are right sorry i should have said that. It is the original modem and i don't have a wireless router, believe it is a Scientific Atlanica modem which as far as i know was standard issue in 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭stoneroses

What are do you live in ? ---it might be a network related issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

OP, you need to ring the premium support line to get some action.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

OP, you need to ring the premium support line to get some action.

I am a non NTL user but I am curious about this - why sould anyone be ringing a 'premium' support line for basic connectivity issues?

Was this so called 'premium support' not supposed to deal with general pc probs etc?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You are right sorry i should have said that. It is the original modem and i don't have a wireless router, believe it is a Scientific Atlanica modem which as far as i know was standard issue in 2007

Have you tried ringing Sales and telling them that you will have no alternative but to cancel you your account, and tell all your exteded family and their friends etc all of whom are considering taking out upc accounts, if they do not resolve your issues immediately not to mention that you are best friends with the producer of the Joe Duffy show?

Sales!

They don't want to know! As soon as you mention broadband they transfer you to another 60 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

prem support best bet

Well I have no choice I guess anyone have the number for Prem Support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Premium Broadband Support: 1550 924 124

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

forbairt wrote: »
    Premium Broadband Support: 1550 924 124

Huh - 95c per minute for support - that is just plain crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

last time I was onto them the guy tried getting me off the phone pretty quick and said he'd call me back in a few minutes :)

(since then he's probably been fired ....) (joke) :P

Thanks All ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Didn't actually know NTL had such a number which such a cost, glad I never had issues with my cable service when I was with them :)

Yeah and whats worse after all that, they are sending out a service engineer to 'source' my problem! -I give up as soon as a new ISP becomes available i am so out of there. I am so frustrated it's like living in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Yeah and whats worse after all that, they are sending out a service engineer to 'source' my problem! -I give up as soon as a new ISP becomes available i am so out of there. I am so frustrated it's like living in the US.

Try to get them to ensure he brings a replacement modem. Demand compensation for all the downtime or from when the problem started.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you tried ringing Sales and telling them that you will have no alternative but to cancel you your account, and tell all your exteded family and their friends etc all of whom are considering taking out upc accounts, if they do not resolve your issues immediately not to mention that you are best friends with the producer of the Joe Duffy show?

You think that anyone gives a fu)) about your 30 € subscription :)))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

had the same problem mate.

they left me on holf for 53min once & then hung up on me, there a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodo

They twice asked me did i wanted a service engineer to come out to my house to find the problem! -What problem? I know what the problem is! I just want a new modem or a replacement one. I can't afford to take a day off work for some guy who won't probably show for a small problem.

You could well be correct, but are you 100% sure, you know the operating specs of the modem, and compared them with the diagnostic screen, or you have a meter that can read upstream/downstream signals. Or you're aware of the line being 100% sound ?

You prefer them to post a modem out to you ?
    If it's not the modem then your back to square one.

That may have sound sarcastic, I apoligise it's not

I know now what I'm going to say you'll be screaming.
    Phone them, tell them you want a service call, tell them you want a tech out, let him do his job, let him source the problem, and solve it.

It's the only way you'll get to the end of the problem.

• Advertisement

Service Tech came out today, said there was nothing wrong with the modem or line. Of course the modem would't jam when he was here, he replaced modem anyway, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodo

Good stuff, you'll be sorted now :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Could still be a signal issue duders.
    When you said that the modem kept on breaking, can you elaborate a little?
    Flashy lights?
    just rebooting itself?
    How is your tv signal?

Advertisement