Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a DT Swiss wheel rebuilt?

Options
  • 10-07-2008 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Had a nasty crash today which has wrecked my rear wheel; needs a new rim. Where would be a good place to get the wheel rebuilt with a new rim?

I'd normally take it to Joe Daly's but Dave is away on holiday and ideally I'd like to have the wheel for the Boards 200 next Saturday.

I will give Cycleogical a call but I've heard they won't rebuild a wheel they didn't supply.

Further complication is that it's a RR 1450 rear wheel which AFAIK uses a 28-spoke double-eylet version of the RR 1.1 rim - I'm not sure that DT sell this seperately (the double-eyelet version of the RR 1.1 is only listed in 32-hole.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

What about Square Wheel? Haven't been there in 10 years and they've moved by all accounts but they always get good reports

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Where was your crash, and are you ok?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

You could go for the R520. I hadn't heard of it until seeing it on their website just now but it seems to be closer to the rims for the more aero RR1850 in profile while being closer to rims from the RR1450 in weight. The downside is that it's a slightly cheaper construction featuring sleeved joints instead of welds...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

cantalach- Thanks for that but I think I'd like to get the wheels back as close as possible, reckon I would want exactly the same rim if possible to reuse the spokes (they are expensive spokes!)

Tiny- just at the bottom of the road from Johnny Foxes to Kilternan, where it does a 180 - Bishop's Lane I think it is. I know that corner like the back of my hand, cycle that loop almost every lunchtime, but I just managed to take it badly somehow, I sort of felt that my pedal struck something but I couldn't see anything that it could have after. I think maybe it caught a branch or something. Bike catapulted over - the right lever bashed in on landing (easily fixed once I got back.) But I sort of landed on the rear wheel giving it quite a buckle.

I'm fine, a thornbush was again involved which provided dramatic amounts of blood but nothing serious. 10 months without a crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

This was the location (I think the GPS got a bit thrown) :D

Crash_July_2008.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    This was the location (I think the GPS got a bit thrown) :D

Man, you got flung some distance according to that!

Glad you're ok though, and we'll see ya tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Very sorry to hear about your crash. Hope you'll be feeling better come tomorrow.

As for the wheel, I'm not sure. If they don't sell that rim separately, you'll probalby have to find a place that is DT Swiss dealer so they can order it in and do the repair. It'll probably take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I saw the effects first hand and it didnt look pretty :eek:
    Cheers again for the saddle blorg!

Advertisement