Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any tattoo parlour in Dublin that will accept my 14 year old brother

• 10-07-2008 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Ok well I am 23 and my bro is 14, having just got a tattoo and showed him he said he wanted one also, my mam is not 100% against the idea but says no. So I said what I will do is give him the money that his tattoo will cost and presume he will buy a game with that money and since there is no Irish law on tattoo-ing then he should be ok right? I know a really nice place across the road form the hardrock cafe in temple bar, will they take him? I know a place that will for sure but its not the cleanest place (still respectable mind you) but would prefere if he went to this place (I think it is called the Zulu)

Anyways, anyone any info on this? and i will not acompeny him due to the fact i will have my head ripped off by my mam if he gets caught

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

There's a bodymod forum here, they would be able to help you out probably

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=358

Can't see anywhere tattooing a 14 year old myself, especially if he is going in unaccompanied. I think it's pretty irresponsible of you to try and let him get a tattoo done at such a young age, especially against your parents wishes. Just my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If there was I would be very wary of letting my 14 year old brother going there.

Why can't he wait till he gets older? He'll appreciate it much more then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 TheMelodyOfRain

The likely-hood is low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hopefully not..

There is a reason why there are age limits in place.

It's to stop stupid 14 year olds from doing something they'll regret down the line.

You should know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The only places that'll tattoo a 14 year old are places you don't wanna go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Crush_TWD

Erm there is no age limit by law, he is actually a really smart 14 year old and has grown enough so that he wont get stretch marks (6"1 and a tiny bit buff but just reqular) and besides they invented laser ink removal for a reason :P

EDIT: Yeah the particular place I know of is one of those back alley, kinda dirty places but having said that I got one there and was fine....just better be safe then sorry

Regardless of how smart he is... He's 14! He's still a child and this is an adult decision!

When i was 16/17 i wanted a tattoo as well, but i decided that i would wait! And i'm glad i did because i would have regretted it otherwise.

You need to set an example for your younger brother, because encouraging him to get a tattoo is quite frankly, irresponsible as well as moronic. The fact that he has shown an interest straight after you got one is a sign that he is easilly led and is getting it for the wrong reasons.

Do you have any idea of the cost involved in laser ink removal? or the pain? or the scarring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well the OP's post was locked in the bodymod's forum, perhaps the same should be done here. Silly silly boy.

What I ment was that he wanted to GET ONE when I did, he has had this particular design picked out for oh....arround 5 years besides its only small and I do not condone this....I am being responsible and giving him the money for the nicest place so he wont save and go to some cheap place and get an infection and possibly die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

god this is as bad as giving 5 year olds piercings!

• Advertisement

Crush_TWD wrote: »
    What I ment was that he wanted to GET ONE when I did

Is that so?
    Ok well I am 23 and my bro is 14, having just got a tattoo and showed him he said he wanted one also,

Seems like two very different things there. Which is it?
    he has had this particular design picked out for oh....arround 5 years besides its only small and I do not condone this....I am being responsible and giving him the money for the nicest place so he wont save and go to some cheap place and get an infection and possibly die

He's had the same design picked out since he was 9 years old?

Even if i do decide to believe that, another 4 years won't really matter will it, seeing as he's waited 5 already.

Being responsible would be basically doing what your mother is doing, saying no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What I ment was that he wanted to GET ONE when I did, he has had this particular design picked out for oh....arround 5 years besides its only small and I do not condone this....I am being responsible and giving him the money for the nicest place so he wont save and go to some cheap place and get an infection and possibly die

Or as a responsible brother you could not give him the money and convince him that he should wait and make the decision when he's a little older. After all the tattoo parlour's will still be there in a few years time.

Is that so?

Seems like two very different things there. Which is it?

He's had the same design picked out since he was 9 years old?

Even if i do decide to believe that, another 4 years won't really matter will it, seeing as he's waited 5 already.

Being responsible would be basically doing what your mother is doing, saying no.
    1. No he had the deisgn in hid head, I got a similar one, he saw it and said he wanted one, up to then he had just been thinking for the future (16)

2. Have you never been 14? 4 years (2 in his case due to the fact he can get one at 16 as my mam said) is a long long time, they are the most impacient bunch of....well yeah and hes not 14 yet but eh wants it after his b-day which is in august so he will be 14

No need to reply no more, decided to just go in with him since I am his godfather and let him do it and pick up the bill

FYI, he will get it done one way or another.....dont you think I told him not to? I know this chap......once he puts his mind to it he will go out, save for ages and go to the worst tattoo parlor just to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

You're not being responsible giving him the money to get a tattoo. There is an age limit in place for a reason and that is to stop children, which is effectively what your 14 year old brother is, harming themselves.
    I also find it difficult to see how a back alley "kinda dirty place" can all be called respectable in the same sentence. If a place is dirty there is a chance their needles are too and while tattoos can be removed (at great cost and great pain) HIV/ Hepatitis are permanent illnesses.
    You're brother really lucked out with the older brother role model didn't he? :rolleyes:

Well then he's an idiot... And you're worse for encouraging him. Maybe if he had a little discipline he wouldn't go behind everyone's back.

I'll wait for your post in a few years asking how your little brother goes about getting it removed.

kizzyr wrote: »
    You're not being responsible giving him the money to get a tattoo. There is an age limit in place for a reason and that is to stop children, which is effectively what your 14 year old brother is, harming themselves.
    I also find it difficult to see how a back alley "kinda dirty place" can all be called respectable in the same sentence. If a place is dirty there is a chance their needles are too and while tattoos can be removed (at great cost and great pain) HIV/ Hepatitis are permanent illnesses.
    You're brother really lucked out with the older brother role model didn't he? :rolleyes:

When did I say they were the same places?

No respectable place is going to tattoo a just turned 14 year old. Even with a godfather present:rolleyes:

No respectable place is going to tattoo a just turned 14 year old. Even with a godfather present:rolleyes:

Parental/Gaurdian concent, there is no (lawful) reason why they should not without concent, only morals and besides I saw plenty of 14 year olds with well done tattoo's that means someone is doing them

You're not a parent or guardian. You're his brother.

Someone willing to tattoo a 14 year old obviously has questionable ethics, what else are they willing to cut corners on?

Plus i'm pretty sure you have to be 18 to get a tattoo, or 16 with parental consent. If there are no laws surrounding it, why would he need a parent/guardian in the first place?

You're not a parent or guardian. You're his brother.

Someone willing to tattoo a 14 year old obviously has questionable ethics, what else are they willing to cut corners on?

Technically I am a gaurdian right?

• Advertisement

If by guardian you mean a babysitter for your brother for the day, then yes.

Legally? No. Legally you're his brother. Unless you plan to murder your parents before hand or something/.

If by guardian you mean a babysitter for your brother for the day, then yes.

Legally? No. Legally you're his brother. Unless you plan to murder your parents before hand or something/.

I thought I was legal since I am his GodFather because his school said I was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

No, you're just his brother. You don't take care of him legally. My brother who actually is a tattoo artist in wildcat tells me tons underage people get shunned everyday even if they're 16.

Let him wait til he's 18, cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Seriously. You should have a bit more cop on to bring your 14 year old brother to get a tattoo. Far too young imo. It's something he may (probably) live to regret. And your attitiude that there always laser treatment is fairly laughable and only manages to show your lack of responsibility.

If I was a little more synical I'd say you were the 14yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I vaguely remember wanting a tattoo of something or another when I was 14.

Now I am 99% sure I will never have a tattoo on my body.

Funny that.

When did I say they were the same places?
    In your initial post.
    No
    I thought I was legal since I am his GodFather because his school said I was

A godparent has no legal rights over or to any child. When you become a godparent you simply stand up in a church and agree to renounce the devil etc etc but the agreement you make is in no way legally binding. How you could you think it is?:confused:Your parents are still alive and so are your 13 year old brother's legal guardians. Clearly the school you brother goes to hasn't got a clue about anything like this either.

Ultimately it is wrong for your brother, who is a child, to be able to get a tattoo no matter who accompanies him. Any parlor that would do so is disreputable and untrustworthy to say the least. If you want to feature as any kind of responsible adult in this child's (for that is what he is) life you will discourage him from getting one.

sprinkles wrote: »
    Seriously. You should have a bit more cop on to bring your 14 year old brother to get a tattoo. Far too young imo. It's something he may (probably) live to regret. And your attitiude that there always laser treatment is fairly laughable and only manages to show your lack of responsibility.

If I was a little more synical I'd say you were the 14yo.

Sorry it actually was ment to be a joke (a bad one at that)

kizzyr wrote: »
    In your initial post.

No

A godparent has no legal rights over or to any child. When you become a godparent you simply stand up in a church and agree to renounce the devil etc etc but the agreement you make is in no way legally binding. How you could you think it is?:confused:Your parents are still alive and so are your 13 year old brother's legal guardians. Clearly the school you brother goes to hasn't got a clue about anything like this either.

Ultimately it is wrong for your brother, who is a child, to be able to get a tattoo no matter who accompanies him. Any parlor that would do so is disreputable and untrustworthy to say the least. If you want to feature as any kind of responsible adult in this child's (for that is what he is) life you will discourage him from getting one.

In my first post I did not say they were the same thing, I mentioned a place that was just a regular shop but kinda dirty and also the school said to me that since our dad is dead I am the second legal gaurdian of him (in their eyes anyways). I cant explain it any simpler hes 14, he will just go to the horrible cheap infection giving shop rather then the alright one i foudn or the nice one in temple bar.

Sorry it actually was ment to be a joke (a bad one at that)

Maybe you should spend more time doing your homework, humour really isn't your forte.

• Advertisement

Hence the (a bad one at that) comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 soapfan

OH MY GOD ARE U SERIOUSLY THINKING OF LETTING UR 14 YR OLD BROTHER A TATTOO!!! ARE U FOR FRIGGIN REAL!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT ROLE MODEL U ARE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I cant believe you want to get your 14 yr old brother tattooed.You do know that not all laser works cause it all depends on what ink was used where the tattoo is and what kind of design he gets.The laser can feck up your skin in so much so that the scar usually looks much worse than the tattoo.I got my first tattoo at 17 and im telling you do not get your brother tattooed it has to be thought about for ages,if my kids wanted to get tattooed i would wait till they were at least 20.Most places even if there is no law be grateful that at least they feel like some moral obligation not to tattoo children.Dont do it cause you and your brother will regret it and he will blame you after all you are meant to be the adult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I cannot believe what I am reading here. No-one on this Forum is going to give you the name of a reputable tattoo parlour that will tattoo a 14 year old, because no reputable parlour will do it. I think you came on here looking to validate that you are doing the right thing, that's not going to happen. If you were any kind of brother (and you seem to be a father figure also to him) then you would do everything you could to stop him getting it done. You say he is very stubborn and is going to get it done anyway, that may be the case, but you don't have to play any part in it. You are not being a responsible guardian, you are being an idiot.

I got a tattoo on my arm when I was 19 (I am a 29 year old female) not a day goes by when I don't regret what I did. I started to get laser treatment (the pain is unreal) but had to stop due to not being able to afford it any more (the price is unreal also). Also my tattoo is a green colour which makes it harder to remove. I am now left with an unsightly mark that looks like a really bad bruise. I can't wear sleeveless clothes to formal occassion, which kills me when I see all the gorgeous dresses in the shops. I wasn't even mature enough at 19 to make that decision and regret it every day. You are trying to suggest that a 14 year old is mature enough to make the decision to mutilate his body permanently?

Be a good brother, talk him out of it, even promise to pay when he is 16 or 18 if that's what it takes. If he goes and does it himself and ends up hating it in the future, at least you won't have to deal with the guilt that you encouraged him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

But he loves her, and she loves him thats why they need each others names on their arms.
    Its 2 brothers not boyfriend and girlfriend .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Your so flippant about it..."thats what ink laser surgery is for"

FSS grow up!

Why would you even consider taking him a a place where you admit it not the cleanist just because you know they will do it!!!???:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Op I know you said he's reached his full height, but he will definitely definitely fill out over the next 5-6 years. I was almost fully grown at 15, but I've gained maybe three or four stone in that time (its not all fat I hasten to add!). unless he plans on being an absolute beanpole for the rest of his life he should take a step back. Good things come to those who wait etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Yeah im talking about....
    nevermind.
    LoL I got what you meant ;) Funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well this has certainly provided much entertainment. OP, are you sure you're not going on 14 yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

jaysis you are some idiot! Yer bro must be so glad to have a fab role model like you :(

Why isn't this locked already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

This is far too good to lock!:-) ps, lol @ scientist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

This is just unbelievable. Do you have any cop on at all?
    Sure there are no laws for tattooing in Ireland but any reputable studio will not go near your brother and if their any good at all they still wouldn't do it even with parental consent.
    It's absolutely ridiculous that you'd even encourage your brother about getting a tattoo at such a young age and worse again, your comment about being able to get it lasered off? Are you for real? Body modifications are for life and they shouldn't be viewed as "oh well he can just get it lasered off" kinda crap :eek:. Besides to get it lasered off in the first place it can cost up to three times more then the original tattoo!

Not to mention the risks of hepatitis, HIV and a whole range of stuff that he could pick up from a dump that would tattoo a 14 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

2. Have you never been 14? 4 years (2 in his case due to the fact he can get one at 16 as my mam said) is a long long time, they are the most impacient bunch of....well yeah and hes not 14 yet but eh wants it after his b-day which is in august so he will be 14

So he's actually thirteen now? Why are you even humouring his request to get a tattoo. He's 13! :eek: Even if you do wait until he's 14, he's still far too young. Age limits are there for a reason. As for him being impatient, so what?! Tell him to cop on. He's a minor. His mother has every right to say no. He's still a child OP. Please don't betray his mother's wishes like this. He is too young. You're being very irresponsible.

FYI, he will get it done one way or another.....dont you think I told him not to? I know this chap......once he puts his mind to it he will go out, save for ages and go to the worst tattoo parlor just to get it

If he does decide to get it done one way or another, then at least you wont be the culprit. It will be him who the responsibility falls on. If you do go ahead and help him, then any infection, mistake etc, will be your fault. He is underage, he can't legally drink, drive, smoke, vote etc.. so again, why are you so adamant to help him? Best thing you can do is get this idea out if his head. To be honest you've described him in this thread as nothing more than a spoilt child, can he not take no for an answer? Why are you allowing him to run riot and do what he wants even at his own risk?

If he does get it done, I really hope it goes okay. Though I question any artist who'll knowingly tattoo a minor. I'd rather have my body permanently inked by a person who's recieved a reputation for their designs and professional practice. Anywhere that tattoos a child is dodgy.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

your brother obviously looks up to you and wants what you have but really you should be encouraging him to wait till hes older like you are to get his tattoo!
    if he gets what he wants at an early age hes gonna alway expect to get what he wants! he'l appreciate it much more if hes waited for it!

plus ure going against ure mothers wishes! think about it before giving him the money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KatieM1

My Friend conor got a tattoo on his arm ,with his grandmothers name on it , he is 14 , and they allowed him to get one

OP's brother can probably get one legally now. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Zombie thread locked. Katie, please do not open ancient threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement