Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New old shape Skoda Octavia's

Options
  • 10-07-2008 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the amount of old shape Skoda Octavia's on the road that were / are registered long after that model was replaced (2004 if I'm not mistaken). I've seen 08 registered old models, and even seen brand new unregistered one's being delievered to the local Skoda dealers.

Most of them are Taxi's but I have seen some that are clearly private cars.

Anyone know what the story is with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Here you go >> Octavia Tour ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I asxume they do somethign similar to what Renault do with the clio? ie sell the old model at a cheaper price alongside the new one with the Clio campus (new clio came out 2006 but you can still buy the Campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Skoda is still producing this car and dont appear to have any intention of stopping production in the near future.I think they made about 75000 of them last year and this is amazingly growing.I think its main target market for the car is Eastern Europe.Under the new vrt rules here, you can get a well specified one with the 100bhp 1.9TDI engine for around 20k for a reliable, well built , no nonsense car which is good value IMO.Its still a lot better than a lot of other budget offerings
    If i were getting one in this country now, i would definately get the Estate model

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think the old model sells for 19500 in the 1.9 tdi but the current model is now only 20500 with 150 tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the old model Clio they're selling is called the Clio Campus.

Peugeot also sell the now defunct 307 alongside the the newer 308.

The Octavia 1 must be the oldest car on the market now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

me thinks it's octavia2 (2000-now)

octavia 1 was in production until june 2000

tell me if im wrong

you're wrong! :D

00 was just a facelift of the original, different lights and grille and a few small details.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the old model Clio they're selling is called the Clio Campus.

Yeah that should have read
    Stekelly wrote: »
    sell the old model at a cheaper price alongside the new one as the Clio campus .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MkI Octavia was originally launched in 1996 but didn't arrive in Ireland until 1998. The MkII arrived in 2004 but the MkI was still sold along side it. I read somewhere that Skoda are ramping up production of the MkI as demand has increased. They are still very popular with taxi drivers and to be honest the MkII doesn't look alot different style wise except really for the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

You see that kind of thing quite often...

I wish when Volvo brought out the S/V50 that they had done a similar thing with the original S/V40. Like the way you could get the Volvo 340 long after the 440 was launched. I've lost count at how many S/V40s I've seen with 150k+ miles - it's not funny anymore!!

The original S40 was a great little car and a bog standard version of that might have continued to do well in a similar way to the Octavia in places like Eastern Europe and China. In fact, I remember reading from Skoda press that with the Octavia they were aiming at Volvo drivers - and with the new Superb they are planning at aiming at... Volvo drivers.

Maybe I should buy one of these Tour Combis!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I seen this on the website.

They are still making the older model for those who want a budget car, great idea me thinks.

surely the new model Octavia is supposed to be a budget car?

No, i think that would be just some peoples perception of it and these people would be wrong IMHO.I would think the idea of a "budget car" is one that is cheaper than others and is generally worse.The buyer is aware of this but still wants the car because it is cheaper.In the case of the octavia II, it is in no way worse than any of its rivals and in many respects it is far superior to them.This, by my own opinion means its not a budget car at all.

On that basis that would make an A3 not-a-premium car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Octavia 1 must be the oldest car on the market now?

The Ford Ka still lives on, largely unchanged (except for the engine). That was introduced in 11 September (lol) 1996 according to Wikipedia. The Czech version of the Octavia page mentions the date 4th April 1996 - don't know what exactly it's refering to but it could be launch date.

It seems they're replacing the Ka next year, so no more comptetition!

On that basis that would make an A3 not-a-premium car

I guess not.It is just a golf afterall, and dont let the audi-channel tell you otherwise!!:)

Advertisement