Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a dog alone all day !

Options
  • 10-07-2008 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Ive long since wanted a doggie...

Finally found THE ONE today in a pound..she's GORGEOUS...and her 'time is up' at pound on saturday..so either its being put down or if she's lucky a shelter after that??..

I'd LOVE to get her and give her a great home however...I live alone generally and work during the day...I do have a 14 year daughter who is over a lot ..and stays over most weekends and she is dog mad...so...would it be fair to leave dog to be alone during the day..she would get walk every eve and long walks saturday and sunday...I do have lots of time off too (public service :)) and also realise that a dog is a 14+ year committment...just the alone most days bit worries me..she's very quiet and placid...

ANy help guys please?? Gotta decide tonite.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

How long are we talking about here? Would you be willing to have a dog-walker come in during the day to break it up for her? Why can't you walk her in the morning too? Also which pound are we talking about? If it's any of the ones with a rescue attached then maybe you could liase with them, they may have a good rescue space lined up for her.

I'm not a fan of getting a dog and then leaving it to it's own devices for 8+ hours a day. A guy I home-checked lately said something to me during the visit about how he couldn't understand why people got dogs just to shut them in their garden all day while they went about their lives. He said that if he was getting a dog then that dog would be with him at all times and that lucky dog is, he even goes to work with him. It's not feasible in alot of cases but if you can make provisions for the dog to be taken out during the day then I suppose, at a pinch, it's the next best thing.

However, any of the rescues I homecheck for would not re-home a dog to you based on what you've written above. Also remember that quiet and placid in the pound is not necessarily quiet and placid in a home setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

Toulouse wrote: »
    How long are we talking about here? Would you be willing to have a dog-walker come in during the day to break it up for her? Why can't you walk her in the morning too? Also which pound are we talking about? If it's any of the ones with a rescue attached then maybe you could liase with them, they may have a good rescue space lined up for her.

I'm not a fan of getting a dog and then leaving it to it's own devices for 8+ hours a day. A guy I home-checked lately said something to me during the visit about how he couldn't understand why people got dogs just to shut them in their garden all day while they went about their lives. He said that if he was getting a dog then that dog would be with him at all times and that lucky dog is, he even goes to work with him. It's not feasible in alot of cases but if you can make provisions for the dog to be taken out during the day then I suppose, at a pinch, it's the next best thing.

However, any of the rescues I homecheck for would not re-home a dog to you based on what you've written above. Also remember that quiet and placid in the pound is not necessarily quiet and placid in a home setting.

Hi Thanks for that !!

It's the Ashton Pound in D15...While I was there today the SPCA were tyaking away a poor doggie with a broken leg so hopefully this lady would equally be rescued..

As for alone all day..well my daughter has promised to call in every day and I believe her but come the winter and school exams etc etc that may not be the case..but there are plenty of teens in the area whom Im sure I could call on for help during the day...

Certainly will give her a short walk in morn before work too..believe me she'll not be lacking for walks and excercise..

Guess I'll have to sleep on it... but really was taken by her :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Dogs in Distress work out of Ashton Pound so you would be as well on contacting them, if she's in the pound she'll be up on the Urgent Action Needed part http://www.dogsindistress.org/ Now the dog isn't theirs until her time is up but they will have been working on a space for her and the girls are good for information too, see what they think of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

If you brought yourself to the pound in the first place then you've almost made up your mind that you want a dog anyway (unless you were there for another reason).

It's your decision entirely - If the dog you've seen suits your home and you feel you could take care of it the way it should be taken care of then go for it!

If you go ahead with it post a pic!

Good Luck with the Decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hey Cm

I just wanted to commend you on thinking this out before you go ahead and take a dog without fully appreciating the commitment.

I don't believe that being alone all day is the best way for a dog to live, but I do think that a dog who has a lot of love, care, attention and
    someone to share its life with is better off than a dog without.

I have two dogs, who spend about six or seven hours here alone every day, they get spoiled rotten in the morning before we all leave, and get pampered and walked in the latter part of the day.

They are well adjusted, loving, and are very much a part of our family, and I am guessing if they could speak, they would vote on the positive side of staying here.

I think that its kewl you are giving a dog a chance, one she might not otherwise get, so for my money, and bearing in mind that you don't sound like a nut job, I think you and this lovely dog would be great for each other.

B.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

Dogs in Distress work out of Ashton Pound so you would be as well on contacting them, if she's in the pound she'll be up on the Urgent Action Needed part http://www.dogsindistress.org/ Now the dog isn't theirs until her time is up but they will have been working on a space for her and the girls are good for information too, see what they think of the situation.

Had a look at site...she's not there..but perhaps an interim solution would be to contact dogsindistress tomorrow morning and discuss with them..perhaps I could foster in the interm and if all failed to work out I could ensure she was properly rehoused??? Would that work? Though dont think Id be able to give her up ...
    LadyTBolt wrote: »
    If you brought yourself to the pound in the first place then you've almost made up your mind that you want a dog anyway (unless you were there for another reason).

It's your decision entirely - If the dog you've seen suits your home and you feel you could take care of it the way it should be taken care of then go for it!

If you go ahead with it post a pic!

Good Luck with the Decision!

Yep..deffo want a doggie to care for..Im great with animals..they all seem to 'take' to me immediately...
    I'll see what happens tomorrow...I do have pic here on fone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How dare you call your wife a dog?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Since when do dogs need baby sitters? It's no wonder the world is gone mad stay at home to babysit your dog while your children run wild on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Whats wrong with leaving the dog on it's own for the day? It's a dog not a baby. As long as it has plenty of food and water and gets proper exercise in the evening then i don't see what the problem is.
    Originally Posted by Toulouse
    However, any of the rescues I homecheck for would not re-home a dog to you based on what you've written above.

Why not? The dogs time is up and is about to be put down, the OP said that they would love to give her a great home and that she would be walked every day? Are you saying that animal rescues will only only allow people who can devote 24hours a day to their pet or can afford someone to babysit all day while they're at work to rehome an animal?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Hey TheCityManager, what did you do in the end???
    I hope that little doggy is ok...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

Some dogs do really well even if left on their own for 8 hours as long as the owner is willing to spend the rest of the time with them. So it really depends on the dog.

Most rescue won't rehome a dog to a family where there is no one at home during the day. I personally don't agree with this policy, me being a dog owner with a full time job - and my dog being a very happy dog :cool:
    If you get a dog directly from the pound I doubt it will be a problem if you are at home or not during the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Did you get the dog in the end?
    less than ideal situation > being killed. maybe if you did get her you could look into getting a 2nd dog as a companion and also hiring a dog walker to come in during the day for an hour to take her out/keep her company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

A home is much better than in a pound with cold concrete floors, surrounded by dog litter and urine, barking, crying, and often sick dogs 24/7. I personally think even the best pound care is horrendous compared to leaving a dog at home all day alone. At least at the end of an 8 hour day alone, that dog has something to look forwards to, and she knows she is safe and secure on her own air conditioned and sheltered 'turf'. In a pound, or even some rescues, all that dog looks forwards to is more barking and more concrete.

I do suggest getting two if you can, though, for company.

I've spent a LOT of my life bored and alone - and that was mostly when I was married ;) A dog could have it MUCH worse.

medium.jpg
    WYK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

First of all a dog should not be left on it's own all day, dogs are social animals that require and thrive on company and social interaction. Secondly you never mentioned what type of dog it is, there are hundreds of different breeds and they all have different needs as regards feeding, exercise, training etc. Agree with a poster above that no shelter worth it's salt would knowingly allow a dog into a home where it will be bored all day out in the back.

Who's going to feed it during the day? What if it spills it water dish or it's nice weather and it's too hot and the dog wants to go inside - It's kennel will be baking so are you going to install a doggie entrance to your house? If it's a big breed then you may as well leave your back door open all day.

I empathise with you as I've long since wanted a dog but I won't get one until I get a job closer to home as I wouldn't leave it at home all day on it's own. It's your responsibility not your neighbours or friends to make sure it's looked after. What I would advise is do voluntary walking of dogs for a local shelter, that way you'll be helping out with the exercise and get some compainionship too.

If you want an animal that doesn't need you at home all day my advice is too look into getting a reptile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

Whats wrong with leaving the dog on it's own for the day? It's a dog not a baby. As long as it has plenty of food and water and gets proper exercise in the evening then i don't see what the problem is.

Just a comment - dogs are pack animals by nature and don't adjust very well to being alone for long periods. Think of wolves in the wild, they live in groups. They are not designed to live that way and instinct kicks in fairly fast. Hence you hear of people moaning when the dog is left alone and chews the sofa or barks incessantly all day when home alone. Depends on the dog i'm sure though, you might be lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

well(takes deep breath) I have 3 dogs, all of whom are rescues and I work all day. They have a large garden and 2 kennels to choose from, ample water available during the day. The first thing I do when I get home is walk them, off leash in the woods for an hour, they are then fed and spend the evening getting snuggles. at the weekend I am up at 7am, taking them running down the beach, and on Sunday I take them to Glendalough for a 2-3 hour hike.

My dogs, due to their breed, would have been destroyed if they hadn't come to me. They are very happy, well adjusted, and don't drive me or the neighbours berserk (I've checked!)

I agree that in some cases it is not appropriate to leave the dog outside all day, and before I did, I took time off work to build up the time spent alone, and me returning, for them to become used to it.

My dogs do not exhibit nervous or anxious behaviours, are well behaved and rarely bark, and are , I promise you, very happy!!

I would not keep a very active or very young dog alone all day.

So who feeds them when you're in work?

They don't need feeding while I'm at work! Dogs are not supposed to have 3 square meals you know!!

It's generally accepted that dogs are best fed once a day, same time every day, and ideally after exercise.

My guys are muscular dogs, 20-25kg each, in perfect health with good coats and teeth.. i must be doing something right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Caroline B wrote: »
    They don't need feeding while I'm at work! Dogs are not supposed to have 3 square meals you know!!

It's generally accepted that dogs are best fed once a day, same time every day, and ideally after exercise.

My guys are muscular dogs, 20-25kg each, in perfect health with good coats and teeth.. i must be doing something right!!

Sounds like you are doing everything possible Caroline to care for your dogs and make them happy. The comment above yours about feeding was just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hey what breed are they Caroline?

• Advertisement

Hi

They are staffy, staffyxpit and staffyxunknown:

IMG_0154-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Lovely dogs! :)

Caroline B wrote: »

Lol if you edited that for sarcasm I'd have hated to have seen the first post, sorry not having a go as you sound like you treat your pets very well and since I saw you on TV last night you do look after your reptiles very well too. I know how expensive Barbera can be! I'd love to have a few dogs but don't honestly think I have the time to look after them and I really thought very hard about it. On a curious point whats your source for feeding dogs once a day? I would have thought once in the morning and once in the evening?

Anyway my 4 snakes and my fish will have to do me until I get a job a little closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Caroline it sounds like you're a wonderful parent to those dogs and they are so lucky to have you. I don't like dogs being left at home while someone works full time but you do so much with them the rest of the time it sounds like they have wonderful lives and you're so great for what you do for them. I can't believe Nigel came back to ask when are they fed !!!! My God !!! I know he made up for it but that was bizarre Nigel !!!
    I'd say those dogs are crazy about you Caroline B.

Okay, first off, I'm not a dog behaviouralist or nutrionalist, so there's no exact science going to come out of my mouth!

There are numerous different opinions available as to how much, how often and how to feed your dogs, including those people who only feed raw meat and bones, to those who believe you can keep a dog on a vegetarian diet. there are also those who believe that their babies are fine to eat full roast dinners, and several treats throughout the day, in addition to one of those nasty tins of dog food.

For multi-dog feeding, to assist with routine and prevention of obesity and food related anger issues, I personally recommend feeding them once a day, and supervised. It is natural for dogs to hunt in their packs, therefore we 'hunt' together by running through the forest then come home for our respective dinners. This once a day feeding does not exclude 'treats' - but my dogs get a pigs ear, cows ear, or beef marrow bone, @ 2-3 times a week, supervised.

MissyN, thank you for your lovely comments.

nhughes100, my time is spent taking care of my pets, thats the 3 dogs, 2 cats, 13 snakes and 7 lizards I currently own. I may point out that some of these are rescues, the dogs and cats and some reptiles, and the satisfaction I get from helping them is worth more to me than free time for myself. I make time for them. If I have a day off, I think, where could I take the dogs today? If we want a holiday, they're coming too! that level of commitment isn't for everyone, and you're right not to get a dog unless you will think of them every time you make plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I know I'll get eat for this and thats OK but any live is better than a live in a pound I've been to Ashton many times just to walk the dogs and I've wanted to take so many of them home and left broken hearted each time, although the staff do the best with what they get and love each and every dog that comes through them, it's still a hole of despair for the dogs, kept in cramped cages and amongest other lawd and often narky dogs who are sick or recovering for there on traumas.

If I was a dog there I'd happily exchange it for 8 hours of piece a day and a loving family for the rest of the week.

Thecitymanager I can tell you now not to rely on teenagers (I know she's your daughter but friends and boy friends have away of taking up time) and look at the situation as you only you dealing with the dog, Can you take her for a quick run in the morning even to play ball in the back yard before you leave, can you leave her with some chow toys and bones/pigs ears and a radio on low while your at work and can you give her a least an hour of your undivided attention most evenings to train her or teach her games and a walk, cuddles on the sofa when watching TV and in general talking to her as you go about things at home and most importantly food and vet care.

If you have answered yes thats the relationship I want with a dog then go for it, the dog will a just to it's time alone and be looking forward to your return every day. Not many dogs have a chance at a life like this and would other wise be pts or left looking at the four walls of a kennel with min interaction.

You sound like you've thought this through and would make a great dad to a dog that needs a life so I say go for it.

And don't forget to post pic's please I might of even walked her myself.

This is not a prefect world for human or animal but if he's willing to love and care for the dog the best way he can then we shouldn't take that from the dog who needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Well said, BlackCat.

What is so unusual about asking who fed them during the day Missy? Maybe one of her friends or neighbours fed them during the day?? So maybe not such a bizarre question after all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

i keep dogs in pens out the back i also have a dog that is in the house full time. the ones in the pens are fed once a day, sam gets a breakfast and whatever else my wife treats him to during the day. the hounds in the pens are on their own all day til i get home and do all that needs doing. but all my dogs are fit and sound mentally and physically.
    there's no right way or wrong way as long as the dogs are looked after and not distresseed. all dogs are different and everyones situations are different. im getting sick of the "white knights of the boards" coming on and castagating people who do things different to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

what is the critea for a home check to be successfull, what boxes have to be ticked for someone to get a dog from your home?
    whars the minimum you require? can a dog be on its own for 4,6,8 hours?
    seems to me that you probably put people off getting a dog just cos you think a dog should be getting constant attention.

Advertisement