Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rainwater harvesting

• 10-07-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

The simplist of questions - Do you good people consider it worth the expense ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

there is a lot of talk of imminent (well at least fairly soon) water meters being the norm and we pay as we use. Recyling grey water for use in loos/appliances/gardening can only be a good thing.....with regards to savings guess it depends on size of house and the likely amount of use.

I'm sure someone will have a bit more technical info for you! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Its a good idea but currently not worth the expense!! for domestic untill metered charges are brought in. For non domestic go for it inow if you have the chance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Dano954

I'd be inclined to go for it now when I start my new build, the simplest method I have seen is an oil tank(unused) on blockwork(like a table) at the back wall about window height being fed from the rear chute and gravity feeding the downstairs toilet and washing machine with a simple cooking sieve sitting on top to filter any crap and underneath keeping blocks of timber dry, simple and really cheap but limited as to supply I guess. If you can afford to do it now then do it now its all about futureproofing IMO could be more headache and expense later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There'll be no shortage of supply lately anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

Ironically, here in the Third World of Co Clare, despite the heavy rain, the mains water supply is still intermittent. I am considering a system for pumping rainwater up to the attic but can't locate the necessary switch (one that switches on the pump when the water level in the attic drops). Also, I imagine I would need fairly sophisticated UV filters. None of the rainwater harvesting companies supply this type of equipment but rather want to sell complete kits with underground tanks etc. Has anyone done this already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Gaothfar wrote: »
    Ironically, here in the Third World of Co Clare, despite the heavy rain, the mains water supply is still intermittent. I am considering a system for pumping rainwater up to the attic but can't locate the necessary switch (one that switches on the pump when the water level in the attic drops). Also, I imagine I would need fairly sophisticated UV filters. None of the rainwater harvesting companies supply this type of equipment but rather want to sell complete kits with underground tanks etc. Has anyone done this already?

I have the opposite switch for my boat, when the water level reaches a certain height it turns on a pump. maybe you could get something similar and rewire it.

Ironically, a grey water system would provide cleaner water than our mains group water scheme. Its not really worth the expense yet but I can see it becoming worthwhile once water charges come in. Most of the water used domestically is grey water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Not worth the expense yet.
    I considered putting in a large septic tank (new & unused) to store rain-water from the roof. Any excess water would percolate to the soakpit!

Stored water could be used to wash car and water lawn / plants.

Use a submersible pump or power hose with generator. ( Tank would replace barrel of water)
    It would not be to expensive to have a pump fitted to pump water to the attic tank, just to flush toilets.

Dano954 might have something there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

bord na mona do great rainwater harvesting systems. I did my dissertation in college on water problems.

Advertisement