Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another build to critique

Options
  • 10-07-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Having bought my monitor recently (22", 1920/1080), I'm finally getting around to speccing my new machine. It'll be a mix of some gaming, and some general work.

Initially, it'll run XP only, hence the decision to stay with 2 GB. I'm not interested in overclocking, nor too worried about massive upgradeability.

Case : Antec Three Hundred
    PSU : Thermaltake TR2 RX 550W
    Mobo: Asus P5K/EPU
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400
    Memory: 2 x 1gb Kingston ValueRAM (DDR2 800)
    GFX: HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
    HDD: 500GB Spinpoint F1
    Optical: Samsung Writemaster 20x
    Total Cost : 1070 CHF (or about 660 EUR)

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Looks pretty good to me, I've been recently speccing up something similar.

4850 is a great card by all accounts, only thing I can pick up on your build is that the 4850 is quite a long card, and I've read reviews of the Antec 900 case being a tight enough squeeze (about 3cm to spare)... you might want to look into whether the 300 case is smaller again and if you'll have any problems. It may be theres a drive bay in the way, not sure how you could check that easily though... I'll poke around to see Worst thing you might have to do is break out the hack saw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Almost all high-end graphics cards are 9" long, and take up two slots. The HD4870 is no exception, it's the exact same size as the G80 GTS cards for all intents and purposes. It's thicker than the reference 8800GT design thanks to the dual-slot cooler, but it's the same height and length. The only cards I know of that are longer than 9" are the HD3870X2, 8800GTX/Ultra, 9800GTX, and all the GTX 200 series cards, which are all 10.5" long. The only cards that are longer are a few very hard-to-find and expensive workstation-class cards and limited OEM versions of certain cards. You won't find these cards at stores like Newegg.

I've read a review of the Antec Three Hundred case and someone said they got their 8800GT in so no worries then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The antec site itself says it'll fit an 8800-series...so I reckon I'm ok on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

So...I finally ordered almost exactly what I outlined above. Picking up the built machine...oooh...in about 36 hours.

So, it would appear than an Antec Three Hundred does indeed fit a 4850.

Once I've handed over my hard-earned dosh, I expect major price-revisions and/or new hardware releases to make my build obsolete and overpriced...probably before I get it home.

Those of you planning on new builds can thank me later ;)

Advertisement