Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Pal - Need Advice

Options
  • 10-07-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I need some advice.

Two months ago I bought a SatNav which wasn't as described and I contacted PayPal who have kept asking me to do different things - which I have done without a problem.

Then three weeks ago they emailed me and told me to send the satnav to an address (must have been the sellers) via registered post. They said that the seller has argreed to refund me if I sent the Sat Nav back to him. I did this and then they kept emailing me asking me if I had done this.

I kept replying saying yes I have. They would then want me to confirm the address posted to which I would do and they then asked for a tracking number which I provided. Then they wanted the receipt scanned to show the date and weight and amount insured for etc which I also provided.

They then emailed me two days ago saying this wasn't enough and needed proof that I sent the parcel to the address provided which I couldn't provide as AnPost didn't have this information.

AnPost said they couldn't provide me with proof that I sent the item to a specific address but did send me a scan of a receipt by a Leeds sorting office and a confirmation from them that the item was signed for which I sent to them but they just emailed this morning saying that they case is closed due to not getting the information asked for.

I emailed them back but just got a reply say case is now resolved.

Not only did this guy rip me off by sending me a stained Sat-Nav for EUR 375 but now he has the TomTom too!

Is there anything I can do here? It's too late to leave feedback.

Nico

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ask them for the address to send a formal complaint then send it by registered post. Include the name of the person you've been emailing and all the proof you have that you sent the item to leeds and that he signed for it

if they won't do anything with it or don't respond within two weeks, start small claims court ppmadddings. Costs 9 euro.

edit: also include any proof you have that the item wasn't as described

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If Paypal took the money from your credit card get on to your bank. Ask for their credit card dept and explain the situation. They will ask for the proof and will probably arrange a refund. I don't know if two months is too long to have left it though to start this off. They'll be able to tell you that though.

I've had to do it a couple of times.

If you're using Paypal try to arrange your transactions so that money goes from your CC to Paypal to the seller. That way if Paypal don't help in the case of a refund (and they're not great) then you always have the CC company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Thanks for the replies. I guess there is two problems I have.

First, I can't believe AnPost stopped giving you a stamped slip with the name and address your sending to when sending regsitered post. Also, what's to stop the seller saying you sent him packet stuffed with newspaper or something.

Second, I used 3V to pay for this item so not sure how they stand two and half months down the line.

The strange thing is this morning I got an email saying that the seller has appealed the decison but it favoured him.

Don't think I'd ever spend that kind of money on Ebay anymore.

Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If Paypal took the money from your credit card get on to your bank. Ask for their credit card dept and explain the situation. They will ask for the proof and will probably arrange a refund. I don't know if two months is too long to have left it though to start this off. They'll be able to tell you that though.

I've had to do it a couple of times.

If you're using Paypal try to arrange your transactions so that money goes from your CC to Paypal to the seller. That way if Paypal don't help in the case of a refund (and they're not great) then you always have the CC company.
    I always thought that since paypal took the money you cannot charge back i.e. you paid paypal for a service that they did thus cannot charge back since you didnt pay direct. Can anyone confirm this?

If the above is true then you have to go through paypal. Did it give any more details in the latest email as to how they came to the decision?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

axer wrote: »
    I always thought that since paypal took the money you cannot charge back i.e. you paid paypal for a service that they did thus cannot charge back since you didnt pay direct. Can anyone confirm this?

If you pay for something by credit card you can get a chargeback (if your entitled to it). The CC company doesn't care who the money ends up with in the end. Paypal took the money from your CC so it's them they deal with. That's one of the reasons Visa / Mastercard charge vendors a fortune for using their services.

My last chargeback was to my AIB CC. Paypal found in my favour but only refunded me 66% of the amount I paid (as that is all they could get from the sellers account). I contacted AIB, sent the required info and got the remaining 33% refunded.

I've a mate that does a lot of business on eBay and he doesn't bother with the Paypal process anymore because of the hoops you have to jump through. He just goes to the bank and gives them the info. I usually give Paypal the chance to sort it out first though to allow them recover what they can.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    Did it give any more details in the latest email as to how they came to the decision?

Here's what it said it the lastest email:

> The tracking information you provided was invalid and we were unable to
    > confirm delivery of the item associated with this claim. As a result, the
    > case is now considered closed and we are unable to process a refund.
    >
    > We encourage you to work directly with the seller to find a resolution.
    >
    > Thank you for your cooperation.

The tracking information I provided was the following receipt:

2657954941_2f301b3e8b_b.jpg

And also the following scan of an email where AnPost sent me a screen capture of what they see on their system:

2657944321_ba94b4133e_o.jpg

Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

I had an issue with paypal/ebay doing similar with me. problem with the cost and i put in a complaint. all i got was "talk to the seller" then they started to ignore any further emails i sent.

dade wrote: »
    I had an issue with paypal/ebay doing similar with me. problem with the cost and i put in a complaint. all i got was "talk to the seller" then they started to ignore any further emails i sent.

I would do if the guy ever replied. I have never had one email off the guy and he told Ebay that he sent me a brand new sealed SatNav .. I wish.

Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Nico22 wrote: »
    I would do if the guy ever replied. I have never had one email off the guy and he told Ebay that he sent me a brand new sealed SatNav .. I wish.

Nico

and did you ask for proof of shipment for this new sat nav? did ebay say he shipped it coz i'd be asking them to supply proff.

best bet is probable a chargeback, i mean you have a reciept to say you shipped it back, you tried teh despute path with ebay.

if teh UK post office have a record of a successful delivery can they provide you with a copy of teh signature? IIRC registered post requires someone to sign for it and teh post office need to keep that for reasone just like this.

Well, AnPost are to get back to me with the sig that was used to sign for it at destination but she said anyone could put any sig on it and get it.

Makes a joke of registered post.

I believe her though as I have often been handed that little handheld device and stylus and asked to sign for a package and all I could do was a squiggle and the guy would never check.

Anyone ever try to get a charge back with 3V?

Nico

• Advertisement

I have won my case on appeal only after a girl in AnPost wrote a letter above and beyond what she really should have.

Anyway, I just got the email from PayPal saying that I have now won and they apologise but say they will only cover the first £150 (item was £269 plus p&p).

I thought PayPal Buyer Protection was £500?Am I mistaken?

Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Fair play to An Post, seem to be really helpful here

PayPal customer service is and always has been a joke, if there was any similar service available I think we'd all choose to stay away from Paypal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have won my case on appeal only after a girl in AnPost wrote a letter above and beyond what she really should have.

Anyway, I just got the email from PayPal saying that I have now won and they apologise but say they will only cover the first £150 (item was £269 plus p&p).

I thought PayPal Buyer Protection was £500?Am I mistaken?

Nico

The protection depends on the seller you're dealing with. Some have a higher level than others. It could also be that there is only 150 in the sellers account, and hence they can't recover any more.

Did you contact 3V about this at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Well good and bad news there OP. I had a dodge situation with paypal too a few years ago, paid 600 euro for something i never received. Opened a complaint with them and they simply said seller said it was sent to you and closed it two weeks later which conveniently put it outside of the 60 day limit. Glad you got a fairly decent result. Maybe put it in writing that you want the rest of the money. They might be able to send it to you later when more money goes into the sellers account. Good Luck

I don't think the seller has a PayPal account anymore as I can't find his user ID on Ebay any longer.

Yeah, the girl in AnPost was amazing. Even posted me out a letter stating that the parcel was delivered and signed for in Leeds and got a copy of the signed document from Royal Mail with his printed name and sig on it.

She even emailed this morning wanting to know if I had heard back yet. Think we should have her stuffed and mounted somewhere as it's rare these days to find anyone to help you with anything. Ireland's dog eat dog attitude seems to be getting worse each and ever day.

Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

She even emailed this morning wanting to know if I had heard back yet. Think we should have her stuffed and mounted somewhere as it's rare these days to find anyone to help you with anything. Ireland's dog eat dog attitude seems to be getting worse each and ever day.

Write to her manager and let them know how great you think she's been. People deserve to have their performance recognised.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

@ The OP - folk on the ebay forums are complaining about this as well from a sellers point of view as the UK Royal mail have also stopped issuing detailed receipts and sellers are having difficulty proving to Paypal that they sent items .

Advertisement