Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football this weekend

• 10-07-2008 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Intertoto Cup
    12 Jul 2008 Bohemians 7:00 FK Riga Dalymount Park. Let's get these cheats!

eL Premier Div.
    11 Jul 2008 Derry City 7:45 Bray Wanderers The Brandywell
    11 Jul 2008 Finn Harps 8:00 Cork City Finn Park
    11 Jul 2008 Galway United 8:00 Sligo Rovers Terryland Park
    11 Jul 2008 UCD 8:00 Shamrock Rovers Belfield Park
    12 Jul 2008 Cobh Ramblers 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic St Colman's Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm going to the Bohs game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'd say I'll head along to the Bohs game aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why always leave out the First Division fixtures?

Athlone Town V Longford Town
    Lissywoollen - Friday - 7:30PM

Kildare County V Dundalk
    Station Road - Friday - 7:45PM

Monaghan United V Waterford United
    Kingspan Century Park - Friday - 8:00PM

Shelbourne V Limerick 37
    Tolka Park - Friday - 8:00PM

Wexford Youths V Sporting Fingal
    Ferrcarrig Park - Friday - 8:00PM

Big game for Shels tomorrow. Really need to get back to winning ways after only getting 2 points from the last 9 available.

Might head along the Bohs match me self if I'm up to nothing Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,850 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'll be at the Bohs game too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The big derby ;) Hopefully we can put in some sort of a display missing form the last two games and beat Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SantryRed wrote: »

Would you even have noticed 2 years ago?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Not on my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

G'wan the Bohs!

Were Riga actually any good? I only saw the goal and it looked a bit soft.

Apparently they're not too hot, though their goal scorer is said to be worth watching. We were tired and down a few players, and missed sitters in Latvia.

We do have a problem making it difficult for ourselves killing off weaker teams, but I think the players have a point to prove with this one and Nutsy has promised a more attacking attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalk are back two points top of the league , after a 2-1 victory over kildare. Shelbourne slip up again and like i said before the wheels are falling off. Seems to be when Flood doesnt score Shelbourne don't win.

So top three results were

Kildare 1 - 2 Dundalk
    Shelbourne 0 - 2 Limerick37
    Monaghan 0 - 0 Waterford

So like i said Dundalk are back on top . Jamie Duffy scored a goal tonight (cmon the lilyhoops) along with Crowley for the second.

Des , Thought on how bad your results have been last few weeks ? Make Dundalk and Shels match HUGE now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Another Mooney goal gives City another win. 0-1. He is a natural at number 39!

On a sour note, John O Flynn was stretchered off and taken to a local hospital. The latest is a suspected fracture of the lower tibia. Not sure how serious that is, but afaik it is less serious than a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Big game for Shels tomorrow.
    :mad::mad:
    Losing 2-0 like that is hard to take, some players just didn't give a shít.
    Sarge wrote: »

Des , Thought on how bad your results have been last few weeks ? Make Dundalk and Shels match HUGE now.

Yeah, we've taken a bit of a slip alright, and you lot have capitalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

gimmick wrote: »
    Another Mooney goal gives City another win. 0-1. He is a natural at number 39!

On a sour note, John O Flynn was stretchered off and taken to a local hospital. The latest is a suspected fracture of the lower tibia. Not sure how serious that is, but afaik it is less serious than a break.

just in.....I would have taken a draw and a fit Flynny.:(

Massive loss with Europe coming up. He's been playing great stuff recently.

Probably the end of our title hopes!

Reading the back of the Echo, Sunderland are in for mooney. We need to keep him now.

A minor ankle fracture I am told now. 6 weeks ish before he is back. Could have been far worse I suppose.

Europe Schmeurope. Haka are nothing to be afraid of. Then, neither were Camarthen for Longford a few years ago.

Flynn will be a big loss most certainly, especially given his performances recently. Shame.

As for our title chances? We have beaten the bottom 4 and Derry. No real tests of title acumen there I'm afraid. Maybe after the SPA game next week we can talk of those aspirations.

Oh ya, Mathews OUT!

Pats will be some game!

simonw wrote: »
    G'wan the Bohs!

Were Riga actually any good? I only saw the goal and it looked a bit soft.

From what I saw tonight.... Riga were sh'it but the Ref was worse

Lets be straight, Bohs were a couple of goals better than Riga, but they got the job done and expertly.

Have to say though the Bohs fans are class, especially tonight. Thought it was a decent turnout really...a lot of Asians at the game as well.

Really to any of the EL doubters, just give the games a try. I have been to see Roma play, and I really like them, but nothing beats supporting a team in your own backyard. Tonight I saw what Des said when there was talks of franchises in the EL....people really really care about THEIR CLUB.

The last few weeks have been really refreshing in terms of atmosphere. I've been so used to Ireland matches and the odd dead English league match.

I'm not an EL convert, as in I don't think I have any true connection with any club, but its weird how emotional you can get...like when Brennan put away the peno.

One thing though, why are there so many fat kids in Dalymount?

Burdocks!:D

Losing the tie is better for Bohs and most people at the club will be thinking this.

I wasn't at the game but going on reports Bohs lacked finishing in the final 3rd. If they are relying on that Fat Foxy Pigeon for goals then they have no chance at the title. If they don't sign a decent striker before the end of the transfer window, the title is between Pats and Cork.

Hahahha at half time I seen some barrel head up to Burdocks at least 3 times and gorge himself in all the battered delights. He seemed happy though which is all the matters. :D

But why would Bohs not want to go through? Don't you get like 50k for every round you advance. Surely this would pay for the fat bastard up front wages for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

50k is all fine and good but theres still travel arrangements to Sweden for 20+ at a weeks notice and going 5 matches behind in the league that all have to be packed in later. I would have still liked a European cup final but in reality it mattered almost as little as losing to Derry in the league cup.

Not relying on Crowe for goals at all but there are goals in himself and Byrne, Fenn has finally started scoring and we are getting our fair share of goals from midfield and defence, Set Piece Bohemians doesnt quite have the same ring to it though.

• Advertisement

Burdocks!:D

Losing the tie is better for Bohs and most people at the club will be thinking this.

I wasn't at the game but going on reports Bohs lacked finishing in the final 3rd.
    Can't blame Crowe. He was isolated for most of the night.
    Haven't seen it mentioned, but it was their keeper who kept them in it with several excellent stops, along with the ref, who was happy with a litany of fouls, especially on Joxer.
    Freeing up fixtures apart, I'd have liked to beat these guys, which we should have done. They were a cynical, nasty bunch and it leaves a bad taste.

But why would Bohs not want to go through? Don't you get like 50k for every round you advance. Surely this would pay for the fat bastard up front wages for a year.

Honestly, because the inter scroto is a waste of time and energy. They are better off out and being able to concentrate of the league.

Oh, Cobh had a kind of victory last night, in that the only lost 0-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Lets be straight, Bohs were a couple of goals better than Riga, but they got the job done and expertly.

Have to say though the Bohs fans are class, especially tonight. Thought it was a decent turnout really...a lot of Asians at the game as well.

Really to any of the EL doubters, just give the games a try. I have been to see Roma play, and I really like them, but nothing beats supporting a team in your own backyard. Tonight I saw what Des said when there was talks of franchises in the EL....people really really care about THEIR CLUB.

The last few weeks have been really refreshing in terms of atmosphere. I've been so used to Ireland matches and the odd dead English league match.

I'm not an EL convert, as in I don't think I have any true connection with any club, but its weird how emotional you can get...like when Brennan put away the peno.

I was talked into going to this by one Bohsman yesterday. It was an interesting experience. As a southsider I'd never been anywhere near Dalymount before. As a Newcastle fan I've been to St. James' Park a few times, as well as Ireland and Lansdowne Rd, but never before have I experienced such a hostile, and at times, vicious crowd. I'm told this was all because of the supposed cheating from the opposition.

Whereas at Newcastle the crowd was always loud and vocal (well, particularly against Man Utd when we drew with them 2-2 on New Years Day 2007), there was never any sign of hatred or animosity - although as was pointed out to me, Sunderland might provoke a different reaction inside the stadium. Anyhow, one of my friends at that game was a Man U fan and celebrated their goals as such amongst us home supporters, while elsewhere you could hear a pin drop. Apart from a few dirty looks he escaped without any abuse directed towards him.

When Riga scored at Dalymount yesterday, the contrast was utterly striking. Every obscenity you could think of was aimed at the goalscorer and shouted by hundreds of Bohs fans. Had I dared to celebrate that goal no doubt I wouldn't have been able to walk out of the ground on my own two feet.

If the purpose is to intimidate the opposition then I fail to see the point. Most of the time the players are too far away to hear it, so it only serves to make other fans at the ground uncomfortable and possibly put people off going to games again. Most of the stuff I can't repeat. One guy there was shouting some particularly nasty things that he wanted to do to a player's sister, mother and grandmother. I looked around too see one rather uncomfortable looking mother with her kids. Another hoped the ref's kids would die!

It's good to see some hardcore fans but the atmosphere they generated wasn't very sporting, it seemed to be mostly hate fueled. That is my lasting impression anyway. Although there were a lot of kids there, I wouldn't recommend this for the family.

That said, I look forward to experiencing an EL game against Pats. Instead of Newcastle and St. James' Park, I'll compare it to a Boca game after I've been to their chocolate box stadium when I go to Buenos Aires next month. Apparently it's more than frowned upon if you don't join in and jump up and down for 90 minutes chanting Spanish insults...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Whereas at Newcastle the crowd was always loud and vocal (well, particularly against Man Utd when we drew with them 2-2 on New Years Day 2007), there was never any sign of hatred or animosity - although as was pointed out to me, Sunderland might provoke a different reaction inside the stadium. Anyhow, one of my friends at that game was a Man U fan and celebrated their goals as such amongst us home supporters, while elsewhere you could hear a pin drop. Apart from a few dirty looks he escaped without any abuse directed towards him.

When Riga scored at Dalymount yesterday, the contrast was utterly striking. Every obscenity you could think of was aimed at the goalscorer and shouted by hundreds of Bohs fans. Had I dared to celebrate that goal no doubt I wouldn't have been able to walk out of the ground on my own two feet.
    Would you wear an opposition teams colours in the Boca end when you go to Buenos Aires? I wouldn't. I wouldn't do it in any other country other than England, and even then I'd be reluctant.

If the purpose is to intimidate the opposition then I fail to see the point. Most of the time the players are too far away to hear it, so it only serves to make other fans at the ground uncomfortable and possibly put people off going to games again.
    Players can hear it.

Most of the stuff I can't repeat. One guy there was shouting some particularly nasty things that he wanted to do to a player's sister, mother and grandmother. I looked around too see one rather uncomfortable looking mother with her kids. Another hoped the ref's kids would die!

It's good to see some hardcore fans but the atmosphere they generated wasn't very sporting, it seemed to be mostly hate fueled. That is my lasting impression anyway. Although there were a lot of kids there, I wouldn't recommend this for the family.
    If you're bringing young kids and you don't want them to hear bad language, keep them away from ultras, singing sections, etc. I heard the ref was shocking last night so you'd probably hear normally mild mannered people cursing him. This is normal for hardcore fans everywhere in the world.

On a slightly related note, I heard that Bohs fans were fairly quiet last night.

And it has to be mentioned that the Latvian celebrated in front of the singing section to wind us up.

bohsman wrote: »
    And it has to be mentioned that the Latvian celebrated in front of the singing section to wind us up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPdo0dn01NU

That was the end of the game, the ref thought about booking the goalscorer for celebrating their goal in front of f and g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

After Killian Brennan's antics at United Park earlier this season I find it hard to muster any sympathy for your outraged feelings.

Not looking for sympathy, was just explaining why the latvian goalscorer got so heavily abused.

Brennan was fantastic at United Park, he was happy enough about the Drogs fans showing him their appreciation after aswell. Its all part of football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Would you wear an opposition teams colours in the Boca end when you go to Buenos Aires? I wouldn't.
    Not sure what your point is here. I was merely making a few observations from my personal experiences but to answer your question, no, I would never do something that retarded (and disrespectful), but my Man Utd supporting friend might...
    Pure Cork wrote:
    Players can hear it.
    The players near the touchline certainly can but otherwise I wouldn't be so sure. Anyway, I doubt the Latvians understood any of it, even if if some of them did speak English, so my viewpoint is still the same.

kinaldo wrote: »
    The players near the touchline certainly can but otherwise I wouldn't be so sure. Anyway, I doubt the Latvians understood any of it, even if if some of them did speak English, so my viewpoint is still the same.
    I was just saying players can be intimidated when there's a crowd of people shouting abuse at them, regardless of whether they understand what is being said. BTW, I wasn't having a go at you about the jersey thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Anyway, I doubt the Latvians understood any of it, even if if some of them did speak English, so my viewpoint is still the same.

Years ago I was living in the North West of England and used to go and watch my beloved Gooners every time they played away in that end of the country. One Wed night I was at a game against Bolton (in the old ground before they moved to the Reebok stadium) & I was in with the Arsenal fans. As we were losing 1-0, the Bolton fans started chanting what I can only describe as the most obscene and insulting chant I've ever heard in 30 years of attending live matches.

I thought a riot could easily start - so I glanced round nervously at all the Londoners around me. They were just looking at each other and saying, "What?" They couldn't understand a single word because of the broad Lancashire accent.

Bohs just weren't good enough to stick a decent attack together. That O Donnell is absolutely rubbish. Crowe, dont get me started on him. For such a great Keeper Murphys kickouts are bull****. Roga played 5 in midfield and Bohs just couldnt break them down. Big McGuin should of went up front alot earlier.

It would be great to have bigger crowds at Dalymount and the likes... its such a shame. I love the GAA but soccer is a global sport and it would be fantastic if it got the same support and community togetherness.
    I would never do something that retarded (and disrespectful), but my Man Utd supporting friend might...

yep well done for mentioning that :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was talked into going to this by one Bohsman yesterday. It was an interesting experience. As a southsider I'd never been anywhere near Dalymount before. As a Newcastle fan I've been to St. James' Park a few times, as well as Ireland and Lansdowne Rd, but never before have I experienced such a hostile, and at times, vicious crowd. I'm told this was all because of the supposed cheating from the opposition.

If the purpose is to intimidate the opposition then I fail to see the point. Most of the time the players are too far away to hear it, so it only serves to make other fans at the ground uncomfortable and possibly put people off going to games again. Most of the stuff I can't repeat. One guy there was shouting some particularly nasty things that he wanted to do to a player's sister, mother and grandmother. I looked around too see one rather uncomfortable looking mother with her kids. Another hoped the ref's kids would die!

That said, I look forward to experiencing an EL game against Pats. Instead of Newcastle and St. James' Park, I'll compare it to a Boca game after I've been to their chocolate box stadium when I go to Buenos Aires next month. Apparently it's more than frowned upon if you don't join in and jump up and down for 90 minutes chanting Spanish insults...
    Riga had been indulging in low gamesmanship right from the start in this tie. They had cynically moved their home game hundreds of miles from their stadium, had messed around our team bus, and had tried to stop Bohs training on the match pitch. The word from Dalymount was that they had been similarly thick when it came to making arrangements for their visit here. In short, they were asking it.
    When they spent the first half hacking down Joxer Kelly, apparently with the full approval of the ref, then in the second tried to end Kevin Hunt's career, and then celebrated their goal in front of the Jodi, they were asking for it, and I hope UEFA do something about their antics.
    I'm amazed that someone who claims to be an EPL veteran has never heard offensive chants. Having been once between Bolton and Aston Villa fans at the Reebok, I just don't think your analysis rings true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Didn't understand why Fenlon didn't just open up and attack on Saturday. Why didn't Jason Byrne come on anytime during the game as well?

Doesn't really take a manager to realise that Crowe just can't play up top by himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Good 2-0 win for Rovers at a poor UCD. Starting to play football again.

As for the Bozos flopping in Europe yet again, its cheered me up even more that you are bitter and feel agrieved.

Do you still stand over the "Bowezzz = too big for the Intertoto cup" banner? :P As the old Rovers fanzine used to say, 'Remember, Bohs are there to be laughed at'. And the last two weeks just proved it again.

Byrne is injured, nobody except Derry care about the league cup and I doubt anybody in Europe will care that the intertoto is being scrapped. I will be pissed off if we dont win the league and/or cup but no other competitions really matter.

Didn't understand why Fenlon didn't just open up and attack on Saturday. Why didn't Jason Byrne come on anytime during the game as well?

Doesn't really take a manager to realise that Crowe just can't play up top by himself.
    Agree that we were too conservative.
    Jason, iirc, was borderline injured, even if he was on the bench. I'd have put Harpal Singh on. Almost always freshens things up and can get good crosses in.

Byrne is injured, nobody except Derry care about the league cup and I doubt anybody in Europe will care that the intertoto is being scrapped. I will be pissed off if we dont win the league and/or cup but no other competitions really matter.

Priceless.!! :D

You were creaming yourselves on gypoweb about winning the thing and being the first Irish side to win a European trophy, you get beat and now its a diddy cup and beneath you anyway.

Bowezz logic at its best.

Sure a European final would have been nice, Hibs were beatable, dont think we could have beaten Elfsborg. But laugh away at the fact that we were in the running for 4 competitions and are now only challenging for 2, if Rovers fans see a funny side to that, fair play. Hows that supersigning of yours Stephen Rice getting along anyway? "I Ricer" any good down at the Submarine?

• Advertisement

Sure a European final would have been nice, Hibs were beatable, dont think we could have beaten Elfsborg. But laugh away at the fact that we were in the running for 4 competitions and are now only challenging for 2, if Rovers fans see a funny side to that, fair play. Hows that supersigning of yours Stephen Rice getting along anyway? "I Ricer" any good down at the Submarine?

I'm just commenting on the infantile attitutude that you decide that its a rubbish tournament after you get dumped out of it. I used to talk to my father like that when I wa 15.

Ricer is getting on grand, back in the first team squad and appears to have buckled down and made his peace with Scully.

Submarine was a great night.

How was Riga? Were you one of the 20 who bothered?

I would have gone to Riga, unfortunately there was no match on there. If the Intertoto was so important why is it being scrapped? Put me down for the same attitude towards the league cup for the next 5 years, its a nothing competition, Ill be happy if Bohs win it but not at the expense of having to play 2-3 games a week for the second half of the season.

As I say, Ill be pissed off if we lose out on the cup or the league, we have a small squad with a lot of injuries and frequent suspensions, at the start of the season I would have been hoping for a top 3 in the league and a cup final with anything else being a bonus

Nice comfortable 2-0 win against Bray, good solid debut from Anto Murphy.

Advertisement